How long will I have if he wins??

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasAggie
Posts in topic: 3

How long will I have if he wins??

Post by TexasAggie »

While I have my CHL, I still don't have a gun (although I know what I want) just yet. With that said, I planned on attending one of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area gun shows in November. If this clown wins (Obama), how long will I have before I should purchase??

I assume it's until January when he's sworn in. Any thoughts??? :waiting:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How long will I have if he wins??

Post by carlson1 »

Well when he spreads the wealth around you will have more money to buy more guns. :smilelol5:

Topic author
TexasAggie

Post by TexasAggie »

carlson1 wrote:Well when he spreads the wealth around you will have more money to buy more guns. :smilelol5:

Wait a minute!!! My "tax cut" :rules: is nothing more than propaganda designed to promote class envy. How did I mess THAT one?? I still need money for ammo. :cool:

Seriously though, I need to get this purchase completed sooner rather than later.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I understand. I did not mean to make light of your purchase. I have wondered the same thing concerning ammo.

Mark F
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mark F »

There is a "practical" and a "logical" perspective you will be dealling with. Suspected guns up for ban are already bringing top-dollar and will continue until supplys go dry up, or they actually get banned. So, if you don't already have one, you WILL be paying mega-bucks for certain weapons. Personally, I think getting such a weapon now is absolutley totally nuts! Basically, all you're doing is making someone else very rich. No "real" action can take place until "he" gets innaugurated. Then there will still be layers of HB's and SB's to be developed and be voted on. It'll take time... Meanwhile, whatever gun may spark your interest for whatever reason, really needs to be in your possession now, otherwise you'll spend a whole bunch of money.

Even if you aren't looking for such a gun, all weapons in general will likely see a hike in price. Ammo will skyrocket, as if it hasn't already.

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

TexasAggie wrote:While I have my CHL, I still don't have a gun (although I know what I want) just yet. With that said, I planned on attending one of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area gun shows in November. If this clown wins (Obama), how long will I have before I should purchase??

I assume it's until January when he's sworn in. Any thoughts??? :waiting:

Congress resumes session in Jan 3, 2009. It is expected if the Democrats control the congress and executive branch the AWB of 1994 will be reinstated in a new form. I know the last time this happened the weapons prices jumped the day the house passed the bill. You probably have about 24 hours at this point to buy something before the prices escalate from an assumed Democrat win.

There will be a 4 month period of increased prices, after which the prices will go up again.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Retail firearms prices are steady today, but ammo availability is disappearing. I just came from Academy, Sportsman's Warehouse and Walmart. All three have steadily decreasing supplies of ammo, particularly handgun. Sportsman's has ZERO 9mm in the 250 round boxes and only a handful of 50 round boxes of any brand. Academy is also out of the UMC 250 round boxes and Walmart has 1 box left (after my purchase!!).

There are definately holes on the shelves for defensive grade ammo as well. It is noticeably depleted supplies, particularly at Sportsmans. It looks like the chip and dip aisle at the grocery store about 2 hours before the super bowl.

Sportsmans did say they had a delivery scheduled for tomorrow, but didn't know what would be on it or how much if any the price would increase.

I completed my pre-election purchases today.... Plan to do a little target practice over the holidays....

j_dock2

Post by j_dock2 »

I think we can all agree that there's no time like the present...

Right now the Obamessiah fears are being tempered by the recession fears in the private gun market, as I'm actually seeing more guns offered privately for slightly lower prices - possibly from the laid off or the deeply financially concerned. That makes now a pretty good time.

I was at Cabela's in Buda getting some stuff, and the chatter from the guys in the gun library and at the gun counter indicated these things:

- ammo sales are through the roof
- people aren't buying nearly as many AR-15s as they thought they would.

My guess is that cash strapped folks would rather buy ammo for the guns they have than to pop out $750+ (I'm being generous, Cabela's isn't cheap) for a new AR or bannable rifle... and that everyone is feeling cash strapped lately.

So to answer your question - you might have literally *no* time (GWB said he'd have signed the AWB after all) since I'm hearing chatter that the Dems might make a lame duck session push. Or, on the bright side, maybe Obama really won't want to interfere with the 2nd amendment at all. He said so on the campaign trail, so it must be true. "rlol" :smilelol5: :reddevil

Word to the wise would be - make hay while the sun shines. (This from the guy who is taking his CHL class on saturday - yes... I'm a bit late.)

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

j_dock2 wrote:I think we can all agree that there's no time like the present...

Right now the Obamessiah fears are being tempered by the recession fears in the private gun market, as I'm actually seeing more guns offered privately for slightly lower prices - possibly from the laid off or the deeply financially concerned. That makes now a pretty good time.

I was at Cabela's in Buda getting some stuff, and the chatter from the guys in the gun library and at the gun counter indicated these things:

- ammo sales are through the roof
- people aren't buying nearly as many AR-15s as they thought they would.

My guess is that cash strapped folks would rather buy ammo for the guns they have than to pop out $750+ (I'm being generous, Cabela's isn't cheap) for a new AR or bannable rifle... and that everyone is feeling cash strapped lately.

So to answer your question - you might have literally *no* time (GWB said he'd have signed the AWB after all) since I'm hearing chatter that the Dems might make a lame duck session push. Or, on the bright side, maybe Obama really won't want to interfere with the 2nd amendment at all. He said so on the campaign trail, so it must be true. "rlol" :smilelol5: :reddevil

Word to the wise would be - make hay while the sun shines. (This from the guy who is taking his CHL class on saturday - yes... I'm a bit late.)
I'm right at this point. As much as I'd love to go out and snag up a couple of more AR's, I just can't justify it to myself with a baby at home and us working on Dave Ramsey's debt program. But as for Ammo, it's "Buy! Buy! Buy!"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

I will say it appeared that shotgun ammo was in good supply. I bought a few boxes of sporting loads as I plan to shoot some clays with friends in a couple of weeks, but the supply of shotgun shells seemed adequate. Mainly handgun ammo and rifle were depleted, although the rifle sales could also be attributed to seasonal deer sales.

j_dock2

Post by j_dock2 »

Well, for cheapsters such as myself, maybe an AR lower or two isn't a bad purchase. $250 at the outside, way cheaper than the whole rifle... you can delay getting the kit a bit (maybe.)

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

j_dock2 wrote:Well, for cheapsters such as myself, maybe an AR lower or two isn't a bad purchase. $250 at the outside, way cheaper than the whole rifle... you can delay getting the kit a bit (maybe.)

If a new AWB is passed similar to the old AWB one requirement was: A rifle must be fully assembled to be considered preban. Possessing just a receiver or other parts does not constitute a "Pre Ban" rifle. If the rifle is assembled after the ban date it is considered a "Post Ban" rifle and thus would have to meet AWB requirements.

Topic author
TexasAggie

Post by TexasAggie »

pbwalker wrote:
j_dock2 wrote:
I'm right at this point. As much as I'd love to go out and snag up a couple of more AR's, I just can't justify it to myself with a baby at home and us working on Dave Ramsey's debt program. But as for Ammo, it's "Buy! Buy! Buy!"

Good for you....Dave Ramsey rules!! :cheers2:

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

I guess I'm just not seeing the shortage of ammo. Most of the stores near me never kept more than a few boxes of each brand in stock at any time, but would special order for you. If they're gone now, I'd chalk that up to someone buying a handgun and just wanting to buy ammo for it at the same time. Went to Walmart last night and they had probably 20 boxes each of WWB 9mm, 40 and 45. The rifle calibers that were short were deer calibers. Shotgun shells are overflowing into the aisles. There was a midaisle setup with the Federal and Remington 100 packs on proud display next to childrens' bikes. :smilelol5:

I would believe that gun sales are up though. Took me almost an hour and a half to get any help at basspro the other day, due to clerks filling out paperwork for about 10 people. I *would* like to get one more hunting rifle while I can get out of having to phone the purchase in, but I'm not stressing over it. I can't see standard rifles being on a political hit list for a while, plus I'm already up 4 guns this year.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

agbullet2k1 wrote:I guess I'm just not seeing the shortage of ammo. Most of the stores near me never kept more than a few boxes of each brand in stock at any time, but would special order for you. If they're gone now, I'd chalk that up to someone buying a handgun and just wanting to buy ammo for it at the same time. Went to Walmart last night and they had probably 20 boxes each of WWB 9mm, 40 and 45. The rifle calibers that were short were deer calibers. Shotgun shells are overflowing into the aisles. There was a midaisle setup with the Federal and Remington 100 packs on proud display next to childrens' bikes. :smilelol5:

I would believe that gun sales are up though. Took me almost an hour and a half to get any help at basspro the other day, due to clerks filling out paperwork for about 10 people. I *would* like to get one more hunting rifle while I can get out of having to phone the purchase in, but I'm not stressing over it. I can't see standard rifles being on a political hit list for a while, plus I'm already up 4 guns this year.
Even if you aren't seeing the depletions where you live, you might want to go ahead a buy some. I can only speculate that prices are far more likely to go up, sooner rather than later. Of course that's just an opinion....

If you want just a couple of boxes of handgun ammo, any place I went had ammo, if you weren't brand or box size specific. Sportsmans was by far the most depleted. As I said, no 250 rd UMC 9mm, and just a couple of boxes each of UMC 250 rd .40 and .45. Small numbers of 50 round boxes.

All 3 had plenty of shotgun ammo.

Just 1 observation from a very small sample of stores all within a few miles of each other....

Return to “Federal - 2008”