Well what can we REALLY expect now under Obama?

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
maximus2161
Posts in topic: 2

Well what can we REALLY expect now under Obama?

Post by maximus2161 »

I'm sick. Sick to my stomach. But let me say this to be very clear: I am all for a black president, a woman president, etc. Race and sex are not an issue with me. I want a person who believes in America and what America should stand for.

But I think we are headed for a sad state of things. What do you guys and gals honestly think we can expect based on Obama's policies now that he is President?

AWB seems a hot topic. Can he/will he try to ban CHL's and is that likely? That is my biggest fear.

I know no one has a cystal ball but things seem grim.

I feel for 2nd Amend supporters...we just got kicked in the gut. HARD.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Well what can we REALLY expect now under Obama?

Post by srothstein »

I am also for a black president and a woman president., preferably both at the same time. But we could not convince Condi Rice to run.

As for what we can honestly expect from Obama, I think it will depend on the exact results of the house and senate races. If the Dem's get a super majority in each, we can see an aggressive push for the full left agenda. If either one is close, we can see a much smaller agenda being pushed. Remember that there are always some Dems who are truly conservatives. If they are enough, combined with the Reps who are conservative, they can block some of the extremes of the agenda.

On guns, I look to see an AWB ban filed again, and probably passed. I am not as sure it will pass as some, since the Dems know it will cost them the 2010 elections.

I see more of a push on financial matters. I expect the tax cuts to be repealed instead of allowed to expire. I see taxes generally going up for anyone who works, especially if they have a little extra saved up to invest (even 401K or IRA). I then see more of a push for socialized medicine than any other topic. Basically, I don't see guns as being a very high priority for the party, just for a few in it.
Steve Rothstein

SCone

Post by SCone »

Sitting here watching & listening to his acceptance speech. He talks a good line, he always has, his past votes cause me to question his ambition & motivation. I'd liked to think he's sincere with his words, but at the same time I know the people that have backed his race. Those are the ones I fear the most. Soros, Schumer, Kennedy, Biden, and the like, have proven themselves over and over as our enemies. Seeking only to serve themselves at the expense of others.

I hope & pray he is real in his commitment to our Constitution and our country.

And I'll stand ready to oppose him when needed.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Remeber, not every democrat in the senate is a full supporter of a fully left agenda.

We have "Blue dog" democrats, you could call DINO's if you like on many issues, including gun control.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as people think it is.

I'm still going to rush to finish my AR though, just in case.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
maximus2161
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maximus2161 »

nitrogen wrote:Remeber, not every democrat in the senate is a full supporter of a fully left agenda.

We have "Blue dog" democrats, you could call DINO's if you like on many issues, including gun control.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as people think it is.

I'm still going to rush to finish my AR though, just in case.
I hope you are right in saying it may not be as bad as we think. There are a lot of his policies and the Dem's that I think are not in America's best interest. Sure our country has our problems but this is the best we can do? Please.

I do hope gun control wont be much of an issue (at least this term) and my priviledge to legally carry is not taken away. As I have stated over and over...that is my biggest fear.

HighVelocity

We can expect to keep less of our money and the unemployed w

Post by HighVelocity »

get paid to stay that way.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Democrat Gains in Congress Clear Way for Party Agenda (Update1)

By Laura Litvan

Nov. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Democrats in Congress plan to use their election gains to push for an economic stimulus measure, expanded health-care for children and funding for stem-cell research -- and then follow President-elect Barack Obama's lead.

``Clearly Obama will be the principal agenda-setter,'' House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat, said yesterday.

Even with some races yet to be decided, voters gave Democrats more clout in the Capitol than the party has had in 14 years. Democrats picked up at least five Senate seats, giving them the type of Senate majority they had before Republicans seized control of Congress in 1994. In the House, the party added at least 14 seats to their current 236-seat majority, with about a dozen of the chamber's closest races still undecided.

Democratic leaders in both chambers plan to curb troop levels in Iraq, while making clear that they will first test their increased power on domestic issues.

Democrats will use a lame-duck session of Congress to try to reach agreement with President George W. Bush on at least a down payment on a stimulus plan that will include more spending on unemployment benefits, food stamps, Medicare and Medicaid assistance and infrastructure, Hoyer said in an interview.

If Bush balks, the entire stimulus plan will resurface once the new Congress and Obama, 47, take office in January, Hoyer said.

The party also will move to add 4 million children to a U.S. health-care program and to approve legislation allowing federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research. Both issues failed to muster enough support in the past session to overcome Bush's vetoes.

`Signal the Change'

``In the first few days of the new Congress, we will signal the change that has to happen in making health care more accessible and available and affordable,'' Pelosi said Oct. 30 in an interview with San Francisco radio station KGO. ``Those bills have bipartisan support, and they will be signed by the new president.''

The party will get a chance to alter the current fiscal year's budget priorities early in the year. Democratic leaders, anticipating Obama's victory, this fall delayed until March 6 final budget decisions for the fiscal year that began Oct. 1. They plan to increase spending on renewable energy, roads and other infrastructure, and education.

Tax Cuts

Congressional leaders will act on middle-class and small- business tax cuts, while allowing the Obama administration to take the lead on the timing, Hoyer said.

The size of the Democratic election victory ``may send a message to Republicans'' not to oppose the agenda, Hoyer said. And the so-called Blue Dog Democrats, who are focused on balancing the federal budget, ``in the short term will be supportive'' of spending measures, Hoyer said.

The biggest obstacle for Democrats in the 2007-2008 session of Congress was the ability of Senate Republicans to block legislation they didn't like with endless debate, a tactic known as a filibuster.

Democrats more than 100 times held votes to overcome filibusters during the past two years. Republicans said they actually sought to block measures only about 40 times.

Even as they failed to win enough seats to get the full 60 seats, Democrats are still likely to have a broad impact on policy with the help of just a few moderate Republicans, such as Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine.

Bracing for Changes

The business community is bracing for changes. Bruce Josten, executive vice president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said the top concern for his group is possible passage of the Employee Free Choice Act, which makes it easier to form unions in workplaces. The measure fell one vote shy of breaking a Senate filibuster in June 2007, and some of its Republican opponents, including Senator Pete Domenici of New Mexico and Senator John Warner of Virginia -- were replaced last night by Democrats who are more likely to support it.

Legislation that would allow the government to negotiate Medicare drug prices with manufacturers also has a better chance of advancing to the president's desk. Long opposed by pharmaceutical makers, such legislation passed the House in 2007, and then fell five votes shy in the Senate of overcoming the delaying tactics of the measure's opponents.

Several Republicans who sided with drug-makers retired, including Warner, Domenici and Wayne Allard of Colorado, and Democrats were elected in their place.

Financial Services

On financial services, Democrats vow a broad rewrite of the rules governing banking and investment firms following the collapse of the mortgage market.

``I think they're going to make a major effort to streamline oversight of the financial services industry -- banks, savings, and loans, credit unions, thrifts, insurance companies,'' said Ethan Siegal, president of the Washington Exchange, which tracks Washington policy for institutional investors.

Meanwhile, analysts said some of the Democrat-backed ideas that failed to make it into this year's $700 billion financial bailout legislation are likely to be revived. That includes a measure that lets judges modify mortgages in bankruptcy court to save homeowners from foreclosure, and ``say on pay'' legislation that would give shareholders a proxy vote on executive pay.

The slowing economy is likely to push some bigger-ticket issues into 2010, according to analysts and congressional aides. An overhaul of health-care policy to curb the number of uninsured is unlikely to occur in 2009, as is climate-change legislation designed to cut so-called ``greenhouse gas'' emissions.

While Democrats may start to hold hearings on a broad rewrite of the tax code, final action is unlikely to occur in just one year, Siegal said. However, as Democrats seek more revenue to pay for some of Obama's election-year promises, they could seek some changes in 2009. A plan to boost taxes on managers of hedge funds and private-equity firms could re-emerge, analysts said.

``It's a $25 billion money-raiser,'' said Anne Mathias, director of policy research at the Stanford Group in Washington.

To contact the reporter on this story: Laura Litvan in Washington at llitvan@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: November 5, 2008 06:43 EST
:banghead:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I just sent the following letter to the Houston Pravda, I mean, Comical, I mean Chronicle:
"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."

An historic moment for sure; America has just elected it's first black President. History isn't always a good thing, however. Pearl Harbor was historic. 9/11 was historic. The Great Depression was historic. The Marxist revolution of 1917 in Russia was historic. America has just elected it's first Marxist President.

Let me be among the first to say: America, I told you so.

When you are out of a job because crushing taxes have forced unemployment to record levels, remember that I told you so.

When you sit in the dark because you can't afford your utility bills, remember that I told you so.

When terrorism rears it's ugly head and we are attacked again because we have a weak President who will not stand firm but prefers to "negotiate" with our enemies instead of fighting, remember that I told you so.

When, four years from now, you stand in the voting booth and wonder what happened and you wonder how to put this broken nation back together, remember that I told you so.
Byron Dickens

Supercat

Post by Supercat »

maximus2161 wrote:
I do hope gun control wont be much of an issue (at least this term) and my priviledge to legally carry is not taken away. As I have stated over and over...that is my biggest fear.
If they were to repeal CHL the "Blood Running in the Streets" will be of the law abiding citizens that the police can not protect. Not because we shoot bad guys, but we all know if the criminal has to think if someone has a gun or not it's a deterrent to crime.
Big round, Little round, Having one is what counts!!!

SoAusDave

Post by SoAusDave »

I look to see an AWB ban filed again, and probably passed. I am not as sure it will pass as some, since the Dems know it will cost them the 2010 elections.
Conceled carry will also come under assult
It won't hurt to start building an alliance w/ the blue dog dems. Heller amicus brief by VP & congess was signed by 55 senators & 250 congress criters, not all of them were republicans
Jim webb & Jon Tester a good start in senate, many of the recently elected dem reps are from districts that were drawn by republicans, meaning they are very vulnerable to being thrown out!
http://www.nraila.org/heller/proamicusb ... ngress.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There were ~50 dems who supported H.R. 6691
To repeal D.C.s ban on semi-automatic pistols, the requirement that handguns be registered, and allow District residents from traveling to Virginia or Maryland to buy guns. The District currently forbids importing guns, and there are no registered gun dealers with shops in Washington.
-Gods speed
who is mighty?
One who turns an enemy into a Friend!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

SoAusDave wrote:
I look to see an AWB ban filed again, and probably passed. I am not as sure it will pass as some, since the Dems know it will cost them the 2010 elections.
Conceled carry will also come under assult
It won't hurt to start building an alliance w/ the blue dog dems. Heller amicus brief by VP & congess was signed by 55 senators & 250 congress criters, not all of them were republicans
Jim webb & Jon Tester a good start in senate, many of the recently elected dem reps are from districts that were drawn by republicans, meaning they are very vulnerable to being thrown out!
http://www.nraila.org/heller/proamicusb ... ngress.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There were ~50 dems who supported H.R. 6691
To repeal D.C.s ban on semi-automatic pistols, the requirement that handguns be registered, and allow District residents from traveling to Virginia or Maryland to buy guns. The District currently forbids importing guns, and there are no registered gun dealers with shops in Washington.
-Gods speed
The Heller amicus brief was a safe issue for the dems that supported it.

Rabid Dog Pelosi will not allow those dems to vote against any anti-gun legislation.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Federal - 2008”