Internet forum suicide

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Internet forum suicide

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Vote who represents you!
And if that is the case, then why is a party affiliation important? That's why I'm not so upset by the idea of becoming an Independent. Independents can still vote in the Texas primary, so party membership is not necessary for that. Party membership isn't necessary for me to vote in the general election. So if I am disenchanted with my current party, what motivation is there for me to stay in it since I can still vote for the candidates of my choice?
In Texas Your Party Afiliation is determined by which caucus or primary you participate in. You can only pick one per election cycle. Independents are defined by those who don't participate.
So the link I gave above is incorrect? All those Texas voters that Rush Limbaugh tried to get to vote for Hilary Clinton in the primary were then barred from being able to vote for John McCain in the general? I think we would have heard something about that by now if that were the case.

Or am I misunderstanding your point? It's possible.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: In Texas Your Party Afiliation is determined by which caucus or primary you participate in. You can only pick one per election cycle. Independents are defined by those who don't participate.
So the link I gave above is incorrect? All those Texas voters that Rush Limbaugh tried to get to vote for Hilary Clinton in the primary were then barred from being able to vote for John McCain in the general? I think we would have heard something about that by now if that were the case.

Or am I misunderstanding your point? It's possible.
I am probably misstating my point.
They were just barred from voting for McCain (or any other Republican) in the Primary. It Being a secret ballot you get to vote for anyone you like on the general ballot. Shucks I've even voted for Micky Mouse for president.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barres »

aardwolf wrote:I hope the GOP learns from their defeat and nominates a conservative in 2016.
Why are we already conceding the 2012 Presidential election!?!

Palin for President in 2012! Unless someone better steps forward between now and then.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The thing is, Liberty, I'm not a libertarian. I am socially conservative, and certain of my core values on which I cannot compromise would not be well received in the Libertarian party.
There is some room even in the Libertarian party for varying opinions. Many social issues have solutions that would be palatable to Conservatives as well as Libertarians. On gay marriage for instance. Does the Government have any business in the Marriage business? But I think you shouldn't give up on your party, but continue to press influence to shape it towards your beliefs. The only thing accomplished by going "Independent" is to deny your self any input into the nomination process for every office not only the presidential office.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Something I wrote in response to a post on a gun collector mailing list earlier today:
This is a point we should not forget, there's a lot of Dumb People(tm) out
there, and this election the propaganda made the Dumb People(tm) vote
Dem.
And in this election, the GOP nomination process made the Smart People(tm) so angry and frustrated that they stayed away in droves ((c) Yogi Berra).

A goodly number of perfectly smart people were determined to play the game, no matter how rigged it was. My wife and I, and our 18 year old daughter, all trudged faithfully to the polling place and cast votes of conscience. We, and the other 1.25 million "third party" voters, could not begin to offset the 4+ million vote deficit that was a direct result of the massive *YAWN* from the conservative quarter once McCain was anointed as the nominee.

One of the problems is that "conservative" has been redefined. A traditional conservative *should* be a classical liberal, but too often these days the Faux Nooze "conservative" is just another big-government shill with a different agenda.

"Socially conservative" does not equal "politically conservative"; the people of my parents' generation were as socially conservative as it's possible to be, yet they had "Democrat" stamped on their birth certificates and thought FDR, JFK, and LBJ should be saints.

A neoliberal says gay marriage should be legal and recognized in all 50 states; a neoconservative says it should be banned in a constitutional amendment.
-- A conservative says marriage is a personal and/or religious matter, and is none of the gummint's dadgum bidness.

A neoliberal says taxes should be increased on those with wealth, to help those without; a neoconservative says taxes should be decreased on business to spur development and the economy.
-- A conservative says that if we cut spending to what the Constitution actually authorizes the feral gummint to do, we could pay most of it through voluntary fees and quit quibbling about tax rates (and why would we want an "income tax", anyway?!?)

A neoliberal says we should deploy our military throughout the globe as peacekeepers and for humanitarian missions; a neoconservative says we should deploy our military throughout the globe to destroy people who don't like us.
-- A conservative says our military should be small and restricted to our borders and waters.

A neoliberal says we must allow medical marijuana with a prescription from a licensed physician; a neoconservative says marijuana is the demon weed that will lead our daughters into heroin-addicted white slavery.
-- A conservative says that caffeine and alcohol are also drugs, and points out that before 1914's Harrison Act, there was no such thing as a federal "drug" law. Our Founding Fathers were "drug" producers; during WWII, it was patriotic to grow hemp, but now it's Strictly Forbidden.

A neoliberal says guns must be restricted to protect the children, locked away when not used for hunting grouse with the Boys from the Club, and never used for self defense; a neoconservative proclaims the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms, so long as someone hasn't violated any of many thousands of potential felonies or certain misdemeanors, passes background checks, pays fees, and secures the state's permission to own and/or carry a gun (preferably something seen at a Ducks Unlimited banquet auction).
-- A conservative asks, "What part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' is less than crystal clear to you, Sherlock?"

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Return to “Federal - 2008”