1.75" shotshell compatibility

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

1.75" shotshell compatibility

Post by LDB415 »

I've been debating a shotgun for at home security. The 1.75" shells interest me because they'd offer 3 for 2 capacity and a 6+1 would be a 9+1 with the 1.75". But I'm wondering how compatible they are? Will any gun that accepts 2.75"-3.5" shells accept them and function as (almost) flawlessly with them as with longer shells?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1.75" shotshell compatibility

Post by carlson1 »

I am not an expert and I am sure someone else has experience with them. It is my understanding the mini-shells function better in Mossberg because they make an adapter that fits at the gate of the shotgun and they are very reliable then. I do know they do NOT feed in a Beretta 1301.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

I don't have any first-hand familiarity. I considered trying them briefly, did some reading, and then scrapped the idea. That's not a vote one way or the other from me since I never actually gave them a go.

Here's an article from The Truth About Guns that I had bookmarked: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/shotg ... best-uses/. It talks about the Mossberg OPSol mini-clip adapter (less than $20) that Carl mentioned, but notes that without the OPSol the author, Travis Pike, says that without it Mossbergs and Remingtons generally have cycling reliability issues. And I own exactly two brands of shotguns...Remington and Mossberg. Which is one reason I didn't pursue trying mini-shells. The OPSol only works in the Mossberg 500 series, including the Maverick 88.

Travis talks about the mini-shells with birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. He finds the slugs most intriguing, but of the buckshot he says:
That all being said, I wouldn’t use these shells for home defense. I believe the true purpose of a shotgun is be as devastating as possible with each pull of the trigger. Sure, we have to strike a balance between recoil and power, but I’d much rather use eight pellets of double aught versus these mini shells. If I needed capacity and lower recoil, a rifle would be my choice.
YouTuber "mixup98" posted a year ago about using the mini-shells in a Remington 870. At the time I was considering the minis, my go-to was an 870 Tactical, so I found this review interesting (he also notes that his Mossberg with the OPSol adapter ran fine, and shows an explanation of why an adapter is available for the Mossberg series only; it's their construction of the lifter):

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Thanks for the responses and information. Interesting stuff. I may have found my reply for the jolly fat guy. More research awaits.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.opsolmini-clip.com/product/ ... -2-0-flex/

I’ve had one for my Mossberg for a long time, although I’ve never actually used it. To the best of my knowledge, they only fit Mossberg pump guns.

By the way, the short shells are sometimes referred to as Hater Tots. :lol:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I know the Benelli Nova and Supernova don’t like them. Being both chambered for 3.5” shells likely doesn’t help. Haven’t tried them in my 1301 but as noted above I’ve heard they’re a no-go as well.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I emailed with Mossberg. Their 590 S models are modified somehow and feed 1.75" with full reliability with no adapter. The weird part is the two models have 18.5" and 20" bbls respectively. The magazine tube ends slightly back from the muzzle on the 18.5 and flush with the muzzle on the 20. The 18.5 has a 9 round capacity. Ok, add 1 round for the extra 1.5" length and add 1 round for the magazine being full length and yet somehow magically the capacity is 13, not 11. The guy at Mossberg said he thought it was weird also and confirmed with one of their engineers it was accurate.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”