Strelok Pro ballistics calculator

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Strelok Pro ballistics calculator

Post by allisji »

Does anyone use this or something similar? What is your experience. What do you use it for and does it work well for you?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Deitz83

Re: Strelok Pro ballistics calculator

Post by Deitz83 »

I used it with a club members Lab Radar. I was able to pull all of my DOPE and it calculates speeds out to 1000 yards.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

I like Strelok.

Was able to make a first round hit on a 451 yard target with a rifle/scope combo that I hadn’t been able to practice past 100 with before the match.

Have to use a chronograph to make it useful though. Results are highly dependent on you putting good data into the app.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Have used StrelokPro, Ballistic AE, and Ballistics ARC; but the one I end up using most of the time is JBM Ballistic's online ballistics calculator. Ballistics ARC is cool because it interfaces with Google Maps, and I use a WeatherFlow WEATHERmeter for Smart Phone with Bluetooth for the wind calls.

But I haven’t done any longer range stuff for a while now, and the JBM Ballistics online calculator is plenty enough for my needs these days. I chrono my loads, and I use JBM to calculate zero at maximum point blank range for the given rifle/cartridge I’m using. For instance, the chart for MPBR with a 3” radius for my 18” barreled Marlin 336 firing a Hornady 160 Grain FTX. That combination is good for 2360 FPS chrono'd at the muzzle, with an SD of 24 FPS, and shoots within 1.5 MOA. Trajectory will be no more than 3” high between 105-115 yards, and 3” low out at 226 yards, with zero at 21 and 193 yards. With a .30-30, that’s well within the usable range of the cartridge, and hits within a 6” diameter circle out to 226 yards is acceptable practical accuracy for that rifle and load, and makes it easy to use.

I have similar MPBR charts worked out for my other "practical" rifles: a .308 Gunsite Scout, a SCAR 17S, and my ARs. Also, once you’ve got some basic dope figured out, a Mildot Master is a valuable tool. But none of it works without REAL chronographed data for your actual rifle/load combination. Ballistic speculation isn’t worth nearly as much as ballistic fact. I’ve tested my rifle/load combinations out to 100 yards with those particular rifles so far, and the numbers have been pretty close to spot on, but I haven’t tested them from 100 yards to MPBR. I still need to confirm at MPBR to verify the charts.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I have used several but mainly Mil-Dot Ballistics. I just bought a Kestrel so I am going to see how theirs works since I started shooting at 1000 yards and probably compare the two.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Strelok Pro is an excellent calc.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”