short action cartridges with long necks

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

short action cartridges with long necks

Post by Crash »

Anybody have a suggestion for a short-action centerfire cartridge with a long neck in a caliber powerful enough for Whitetail, Fallow, Axis deer and other animals that size.? Would also like to hunt feral hogs with itl Would prefer something from 6.5 up to 308.

thanks for your help,

Crash

puma guy

Re: short action cartridges with long necks

Post by puma guy »

Crash wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:15 am Anybody have a suggestion for a short-action centerfire cartridge with a long neck in a caliber powerful enough for Whitetail, Fallow, Axis deer and other animals that size.? Would also like to hunt feral hogs with itl Would prefer something from 6.5 up to 308.

thanks for your help,

Crash
You may have answered your own question.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

troglodyte

Re: short action cartridges with long necks

Post by troglodyte »

6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty popular caliber now.

6.5 Creedmoor was good enough for the grandson this season. Muley was just over 200 yds. Whitetail and pig were about 100 yards. Nothing moved more than a few feet, if at all. The son got a muley at 275 yds with his 7mm08.

There is a wide selection of calibers that all work really well, it just comes down to preference. I'm still using an old .308 Stevens bolt or a 6.8 SPC in an AR. Both do the job if I do mine. The 6.5, 6.8, and 7mm08 have noticeably less recoil if that makes a difference to you. I still favor a 30 cal bullet but these smaller, faster, higher BC bullets are really tempting.

If your looking for an AR platform you're really pretty limited to the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC II. The .224 Valkyrie is another option but I don't know much about it.

Also watch what ammo is readily available. 6.8 SPC ammo and components are pretty thin right now.

Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”