need help with A-15 DPMS

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
my04heritage
Posts in topic: 2

need help with A-15 DPMS

Post by my04heritage »

Just bought a new dpms a-15. I have been searching the web trying to get some info on break in,take down,lube etc. and am not able to fine the right place. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for some good info .. Tks

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: need help with A-15 DPMS

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Dive in at http://www.ar15.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more on the AR15 platform than you really want. It takes a while to find what you want, but you'll learn a lot along the way. Have fun - it's a great rifle!
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

Clean it. Take it out and shoot it a few boxes of ammo through it. If you feel like it when you get home, clean it again.

Forget all that noise about fire a shot, clean it, talk to it, pet it, rinse and repeat. Just shoot it.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I've heard you don't have to break in chrome lined barrels. I'd just pull together a couple hundred rounds of ammo and just go out and have fun at the range. Get practice with the trigger and sights.

As for lube, I don't use a whole lot. I wet down part of a rag after cleaning and wet down all the metal parts. I don't wet down the bolt face. I put it all together and wipe off any excess. Some people like to keep the parts wet with oil, some people like to wipe them dry before assembling. I've heard it depends on the conditions you are in. Too much excess oil has never helped me except to attract dirt and gum things up. Find what works for you.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I agree with iratollah on the break in. I don't think most standard barrel AR's will notice the difference. I have a match barreled varmint upper on order. I'll probably take more care with that one. :mrgreen:

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

Buy a 22LR conversion kit. I shot 4 20 round mags in about 2 minutes the other day. In .223, that would have cost $40. In 22LR, it cost me $2.40. feels the same, holes look the same, but it is alot cheaper.

It cannot do not shoot over 50 yards accurately. That is THE drawback.

$199 from brownells. make sure to get the 27 round mag, not the 10 round mag. Order extra mags.

texasag
texasag93

Topic author
my04heritage

Post by my04heritage »

ok, thanks guys. The last time I fired one it was m-16 over 30 years ago in the service. I got to get up to speed again, for sure!!! thanks for the input.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

You can actually find some pretty decent video instructions for take-down and assembly on YouTube. Then there's this one (it's not instructional...but is fun, and just a bit intimidating):

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8[/youtube]
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

doc540

Post by doc540 »

Shoot several hundred rounds of good, brass case ammo through it.

I don't suggest starting out shooting the cheapest, dirtest, steel case Wolf.

That's my 2 cents.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

doc540 wrote:Shoot several hundred rounds of good, brass case ammo through it.

I don't suggest starting out shooting the cheapest, dirtest, steel case Wolf.

That's my 2 cents.
FWIW, I don't suggest shooting steel-cased ammo in any AR15 at all.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

GOOGLE is your friend!!!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

oilman

Post by oilman »

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WKv720 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”