Old Marlin 30-30

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ETex2
Posts in topic: 3

Old Marlin 30-30

Post by ETex2 »

I have an opportunity to trade for an old Marlin trapper gun (carbine?). 40+ years old, 90% blue, and has been refinished with "blonde" wood now. Being careful on this one but I only have about $175 in the Taurus revolver he wants from me. Would you???

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Old Marlin 30-30

Post by longtooth »

I would in a heart beat.
But then I really want one of the trappers.
Still think it a good deal.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

I would happily pay $200+ cash for a Marlin 30-30 in working condition, so YES!
"hic sunt dracones"

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Absolutely YES.

I traded an old, very worn out Uberti .44 Mag single action for a Winchester 94 Trapper in 30/30, that was the best trade I ever made.

Make the trade, don't look back. You will appreciate your fine lever gun afterwards.

JLaw
Six for sure.

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

I have a marlin 1894 .44. Trust me, get it now :)

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

at 90% blue for a pre-1970 Marlin, I would trade anything off the Taurus line...but I'm not a Taurus fan either. If that gun is in fact in 90%, smooth internals, and bright bore with clean rifling, I would say it's worth a bottom of $300. The really good "old" ones are worth more than the newer ones quite often.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

Turns out it's a Marlin Glenfield 30A with a birch stock and forearm. I was figuring on a 336. Still a decent trade I think. Probably a "homemade" trapper that someone sawed off at some point. He's bringing it by today.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

hhhmmmm...if it's not a 336, 336sc, 336w, or other higher end of the line, I might not bite.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Ok, so am I sitting on something valuable and not even aware of it? I have a Marlin 30-30 in almost perfect condition that my grandfather left to me. According to me dad, it's older than him, so probably 60 years or more. The thing was cleaned and conditioned very regularly, and the action is flawlessly smooth. Right now it's just sitting in a regular padded case. I didn't think it had much more than sentimental value.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

jorge

Post by jorge »

A working 30-30 is worth at least a couple hundred dollars as a shooter. Older guns may be worth more to collectors depending on condition and modifications. You should check the blue book to see what your grandfather's rifle is worth on the market even if you don't plan to sell it.
Obamanomics: Trickle-Up Poverty

Topic author
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

Update - I made the trade. Like I said - it's a Marlin Glenfield model 30A built in 1972. He refinished it and left it lighter than the original, but did a fairly decent job. Action is smooth and bore is clean and bright. It was tapped for a scope but now that's gone - need to find some screws to fill the holes in or re-scope it. He gave me two full boxes of Winchester 150 gr. ammo with it, and it has a Saddle Mate sling. Not bad really for a total investment of $175.

Bottom line - I didn't need the Taurus, but the 30-30 should come in handy down at the farm near Athens when I come across a hog or coyote that requires my attention. I don't really deer hunt anymore but now in case I get asked, I don't have an excuse to say no. :mrgreen: We see lots of deer at our place and I doubt I will shoot any there, but that could change if the economy REALLY goes south. :cool:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”