Back Up Sight with an ACOG

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Back Up Sight with an ACOG

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:
Z1166 wrote:If you are a right handed shooter, would it make more sense to have the offset red dot/reflex sight on the left side of the rifle?
Generally-speaking, nope. It's a simpler and stronger movement for the right wrist to twist inward towards the chest (while holding a rifle in the regular shooting position) than outward - which would put a right-side optic into view easily.
Which is why I haven't bought a of angled sights yet. I'm a lefty, and so far I haven't found a rear sight that is intended for a left-sided mount. So for that reason, I'll probably buy just the angled mount without a sight and then put my Fastfire II on it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

I tried the offset sights and just didnt work for me. Rather use cowitnessing red dot. The flip to side 3x eotech magnifier is very solid in either position and doesnt rattle or flex at all.

Ziran

Post by Ziran »

I tried putting RMR on top of an ACOG and while it works it was not worth the hassle for me. The RMR sits too high over the bore line. So I would not recommend doing this:

http://www.trijicon.com/images/product_ ... 8-RM05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trijicon.com/images/product_ ... 1J-RMR.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ACOGs are generally low magnification (around 3x) and are designed to be useable even very up close for most models. So personally I just go with ACOG alone and it works good enough up close for me. Learn to use the bindon aiming concept and skip the red dot for ACOGs:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/company/ ... ijicon.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for backup sights I use TROY folding iron sights:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get yourself a larue mount for your ACOG. These mounts you can put on and take off all you want and they keep the zero (regular lever mount, DO NOT GET THE VFZ). Make sure you pick the correct mount for your model ACOG:

http://www.laruetactical.com/acog-mounts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These things are well worth the $100-$140 that larue charges for them.

Then you can zero your IRONs, fold them and put your ACOG back on. With the larue mount it literrally takes 2 seconds to take off or put the acog back on and they keep the zero (this has been tested taking optics off and putting them back on 50+ times and they still kept the zero).

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I would first consider the role of this rifle.

If you are using your AR for home defense, I would just use the BUIS, or maybe a RDS. No need for a magnified optic unless you have a REALLY large home. In fact, a shotgun may be better suited for this role in the first place. If this is a hunting rifle, then an ACOG makes perfect sense, but you are unlikely to be "too close" to use the ACOG unless you are a much better hunter than I am. If this AR fills both roles, then a detachable mount makes sense.

That said, I have an RMR sitting on top of my ACOG. So I don't really practice what I preach. The Burris options mentioned above are also set up to mount a Fast Fire on top of them as well.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

5 year old thread revival. :thumbs2:

My first thought was why would anyone need a "back up" for an ACOG. Then I remembered that some are battery powered. However, I opened and read and think that the term "back up" was not quite what the OP was thinking about. IMO, LTUME1978 was thinking about a 1x sight to switch to from the 4x ACOG for CQB.

I put a 4x ACOG on my M4 about a year or so ago and spent a little time getting used to and bonding with it. Getting it sighted in after installing it was frustrating, but once done, WOW!

Since putting it on I've also spent quite a bit of time practicing at multiple ranges from 3-200 yards. Mostly from 3-10 then some at 25, 50, 100, and a little at 200. Getting myself familiar with using the Bindon Aiming Concept ability to be able to use this sight at any range effectively and precisely if needed. Therefore, I don't have a need for a 1x CQB sight.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

C-dub wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 am 5 year old thread revival. :thumbs2:

My first thought was why would anyone need a "back up" for an ACOG. Then I remembered that some are battery powered. However, I opened and read and think that the term "back up" was not quite what the OP was thinking about. IMO, LTUME1978 was thinking about a 1x sight to switch to from the 4x ACOG for CQB.

I put a 4x ACOG on my M4 about a year or so ago and spent a little time getting used to and bonding with it. Getting it sighted in after installing it was frustrating, but once done, WOW!

Since putting it on I've also spent quite a bit of time practicing at multiple ranges from 3-200 yards. Mostly from 3-10 then some at 25, 50, 100, and a little at 200. Getting myself familiar with using the Bindon Aiming Concept ability to be able to use this sight at any range effectively and precisely if needed. Therefore, I don't have a need for a 1x CQB sight.
It was revived by a spammer.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

SecretS wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am
williamkevin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:59 pm
LTUME1978 wrote:I have an ACOG on my M-4. Any suggestions on what to do for a back up sight? I had though about removing the ACOG, installing the back up sight (sight that came with the rifle) and sighting it in, then removing it and reinstalling the ACOG. How repeatable is this? Hoping someone here can offer a better option.
You might look at something like this.....
http://soldiersystems.net/2011/07/03/ka ... ng-sights/gamb

Just do a search for "offset backup sights" on most search engines. There are a lot of different styles available.
Thank you for sharing this as a result of what I was looking for
“SecretS” is a spammer. He quoted williamkevin’s post but tacked on a spam URL (highlighted in red, above) onto the end of a link in williamkevin’s post. I have tried to report that post to moderators, but the report function is apparently not working yet. Instead, I sent a PM to both of the mods for this forum.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”