Remington 870 jamming issues

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RKirkwood
Posts in topic: 3

Remington 870 jamming issues

Post by RKirkwood »

My son has had his Remington 870 for about a year now. When he first shot it we were out on the skeet range and after his first shot he was unable to eject the spent shell. He went to the range office and they just hit it down on the desk and it ejected the shell. The rest of the day he only had minor issues. Since then he said it only did it once each time he went shooting.

This weekend we went out on the range and he had continuous problems. :banghead: Any suggestions? I've got a 34yr/old Sears 12 gauge that have never given me issue. :biggrinjester:

Thanks

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Remington 870 jamming issues

Post by JJVP »

RKirkwood wrote:Any suggestions?
Call Remington? :tiphat:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mewalke »

Check the extractor and the rim of the shells to see if there is any noticeable damage to either. It might indicate an issue with the extractor or with the ammo you are shooting. Some 870 extractors may "bite" into the rim of some cheaper ammo. I've heard of some issues with Federal target loads, for example.

Topic author
RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

mewalke wrote:Check the extractor and the rim of the shells to see if there is any noticeable damage to either. It might indicate an issue with the extractor or with the ammo you are shooting. Some 870 extractors may "bite" into the rim of some cheaper ammo. I've heard of some issues with Federal target loads, for example.
He had one shell this weekend that got jammed up inside, took a little bit of work to get it out. It did seem to a small "bite" mark on the rim.

Topic author
RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

JJVP wrote:
RKirkwood wrote:Any suggestions?
Call Remington? :tiphat:
Good point :thumbs2: Trying to see if anyone else has see this and knew of a quick fix.

mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mewalke »

RKirkwood wrote:
mewalke wrote:Check the extractor and the rim of the shells to see if there is any noticeable damage to either. It might indicate an issue with the extractor or with the ammo you are shooting. Some 870 extractors may "bite" into the rim of some cheaper ammo. I've heard of some issues with Federal target loads, for example.
He had one shell this weekend that got jammed up inside, took a little bit of work to get it out. It did seem to a small "bite" mark on the rim.
If there doesn't seem to be any burs or anything out of the ordinary with the extractor, you could try polishing up the chamber a little. That could rule out the that shells are getting stuck in the chamber as opposed to an extractor specific problem.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Which of the 870s are we talking about here? Bought a new-old stock 1994 (KO code) Magnum Wingmaster a few weeks ago and haven't fired it yet, but plan on doing some clays this weekend. Have heard nothing but great things about the 870.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

The express 870 pumps aren't the same quality as wingmasters,when I was duck hunting with one back in the day,the ejection wasn't as smooth,You could take a bore brush and chuck it in a drill and using some cleaner run it in the chamber,also check the extractor to make sure it's not chipped/damaged,then the ejector to make sure it's kicking the shell out
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 4

Post by boxermoose »

Using the wallyworld 100rd for $20 buck value ammo

My 870 has issues with it & a quick net search shows lots of others do as well. Prevailing opinion is it's the brass coloured aluminum ...well brass that gets sticky

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

boxermoose wrote:Using the wallyworld 100rd for $20 buck value ammo

My 870 has issues with it & a quick net search shows lots of others do as well. Prevailing opinion is it's the brass coloured aluminum ...well brass that gets sticky
I've probably put at least a thousand rounds of that stuff through my semi-auto Benelli without one problem. I don't know a lot about shotguns, but I'd think if there was going to be a problem with ammo it would show up in a semi. Then again, maybe I'm just lucky.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I've been shooting the 250 round case of Remington super game loads through my 870 Express with no ejection problems at all.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 4

Post by boxermoose »

C-dub wrote:
boxermoose wrote:Using the wallyworld 100rd for $20 buck value ammo

I've probably put at least a thousand rounds of that stuff through my semi-auto Benelli without one problem. I don't know a lot about shotguns, but I'd think if there was going to be a problem with ammo it would show up in a semi. Then again, maybe I'm just lucky.
When I had this issue a quick google search showed issues with the 870 & Wallyworld bulk. Some have it go away by polishing the chamber, some by regular old break-in. My 870 is only sticky on this ammo, all others I've tried cycle fine. I'm happy to pay a bit more for bulk R-P or Federal

870 jamming problems with ww bulk

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The 100 round bulk boxes at WW are Federal and Winchester. Have you seen another brand?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I agree ammo could be the culprit, but have you disassembled barrel and receiver to check for crud and cleaned it? Clean and lubricate it and reassemble. Make sure the magazine cap (nut) is tight when you install the barrel with the action open.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”