Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by maverick2076 »

AndyC wrote:By the way - Crosshair Customs are selling parts.

They are. Expect a couple weeks before they ship, though. They are pretty backlogged right now, probably due to SDTA's issues. BTW, SDTA is still selling muzzle brakes, flash hiders and the adapters for them, as well as the challenge coin. They just aren't selling tubes and end caps. Crosshair Customs has both. Apogee makes tubes that fit the SDTA stuff as well.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

A guy at the FW gun show was selling what looked like pretty complete D size kits he labeled as "oil traps" for $140.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Post by maverick2076 »

At that price I would almost guarantee they are aluminum. It'll work for .22's, but I wouldn't use it for high pressure rifle rounds.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

maverick2076 wrote:At that price I would almost guarantee they are aluminum. It'll work for .22's, but I wouldn't use it for high pressure rifle rounds.
I have no idea. Just noticed what he was selling as I passed by.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Post by der Teufel »

der Teufel wrote:… I built this up specifically for my 300 BLK rifle, but figured I can also use it on my AR-10 — except that the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are suddenly made of unobtanium. Apparently Griffin is retooling, and the shelves are bare. Oh well, I still get to try it out and the AR-10 will just have to wait a while for its turn.
--

(sigh) Two months later and the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are still unavailable for a .308. I've emailed them twice without response. I'm starting to get concerned — I may need to adopt a different mounting strategy and purchase some different parts if I ever hope to use my suppressor on my AR-10.

Does anyone know what's going on WRT Griffin? I heard they were retooling, but I also heard the parts would be available before the end of February. It's now the end of March.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote:Other retailers sell Griffin brakes - try them.
I can't find anyone who has them in stock.

I'm looking for the Taper Mount Muzzle Brake with 5/8 X 24 threads for a .308 rifle. The minimalist brake is available some places, but that's not what I'm after. I have a saved Google search for — griffin muzzle brake "taper mount" that I run a few times a week. I check several different places each time, but them things just ain't to be found. :cryin At this point in time I have no clue when/if I'll be able to buy one. (sigh)
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

loktite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by loktite »

Speaking of Griffin, I have an Optimus waiting for me (probably stamp next month). Does anyone have any input on Griffin's A2 blast shield/Optimus mount ? At this point, I think this will be the first accessory for the silencer I buy. Maybe I should post this in the Optimus thread @ http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80376 instead.

One reason I'm going for the A2 blast shield/optimus mount first is the ability to use it over my existing A2 flash hiders. It also opens up the 30sd muzzle devices and the M4SD devices to be used. The downside is the additonal weight + slight length of the A2 blast shield+A2 muzzle device vs a dedicated taper lock muzzle device.

Eventually, I'll probably pickup a titanium minimalist brake in 1/2 x 28, a Taper Mount Minimalist Blast shield (required for Mid size config), maybe a M4SD hammer comp, and a taper lock muzzle brake.

The unobtanium taper lock muzzle brake, M4SD muzzle brake, M4SD Hammer Comp, and the 30SD Muzzle brake all have 2 sacrificial baffles before the silencer. Obviously my flash hiders have 0. But from what I've read, I'm not sure it makes that much difference for my current Ar-15's, as they are carbine length (not to mention user serviceable can.) The real benefit seems to come when you are running SBR's.

Anyway, the A2 blast shield is available currently from a couple of different sites, found it on 54-17 for $149 shipped.
NRA Endowment Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote:Well, heck.

I just send them a FB message and got an auto-response:
Thanks for messaging us.

If you have product questions, please email info@griffinarmament.com.

If you need any technical assistance, please email tech@griffinarmament.com.

Thanks,
Griffin Armament Team
Well, I have just sent off my third email in as many months to info@griffinarmament.com inquiring as to when the 5/8 X 24 thread (.308) Taper Mount Muzzle Brake might be available. So far I have yet to receive any response whatsoever. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Okay, third time was the charm. I finally received a reply, and it was informative.

The old Taper Mount Muzzle Brake is no longer available.
It has been replaced by the Paladin 2 Port Brake. These are available. I have ordered one.

I do wish I could have learned this earlier … but at least this issue seems to be resolving.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

der Teufel wrote:Okay, third time was the charm. I finally received a reply, and it was informative.

The old Taper Mount Muzzle Brake is no longer available.
It has been replaced by the Paladin 2 Port Brake. These are available. I have ordered one.

I do wish I could have learned this earlier … but at least this issue seems to be resolving.
der Teufel, is the Paladin muzzle brake still a taper mount?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

The description says it is.

Quoting from the Griffin Armament web site: "The Griffin Armament Paladin Brake is an affordable compact 2-Port Taper Mount muzzle device that is compatible with all of our taper mount silencers and accessories. "
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”