5.56 Barrel Recommendations

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 3

5.56 Barrel Recommendations

Post by Medic218 »

I've been out of the loop for a while due to other interest occupying my time but I have since decided it's time to build another rifle.
The last one I built was a 6.8SPC from AR15 Performance and I've been quite happy with it. I had planned to use one of their 5.56 Wylde chambers but was just wondering if anything new and better had come to market in the last year or two.

I was thinking something like this one.
http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/20639
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

The Annoyed Man

Re: 5.56 Barrel Recommendations

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lfinsr »

:iagree:

I own a 18" version of that barrel. The quality and finish is outstanding. Great company to do business with. No, I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

lfinsr wrote::iagree:

I own a 18" version of that barrel. The quality and finish is outstanding. Great company to do business with. No, I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.
Rainier or APR?

The Annoyed Man

Medic218 wrote:
lfinsr wrote::iagree:

Rainier or APR?
Quoting the Rainier webpage I linked above:
There are a number of advantages to polygonal rifled barrels; such as less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag as well as prolonged barrel life, not to mention ease of cleaning. These barrels were made to our exact specifications & drawings and made of 416R Stainless steel. We control the manufacturing process to provide the most accurate barrel in its price range. We are so confident in our Select grade barrels that we will offer a 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase, no questions asked. If you aren't completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund. Guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards with match ammo. You deserve this confidence inspiring barrel for your next custom build. ***Medium Contour***

We took as much weight off the barrel as we could without sacrificing accuracy. We don't save a lot off the standard barrel (little over 1 oz). But for guys who are building the most accurate rifle while keeping weight down, this is the perfect barrel for you.
I am not familiar with APR, but Rainier guarantees sub-MOA with match ammo. Last Wednesday, I shot 1 MOA with my fading 63 year old eyes at 100 yards, using a 4X optic, and about the same at 50 yards using a 1X optic. I am fairly certain I could have easily beat that with one of my higher magnification scopes. Does APR make the same guarantee.......at the same price or better? If they guarantee the same at a better price, it's a no brainer. If they don't, it's a no brainer. If they guarantee it at the same price, you'll have a tougher decision. But I can tell you that Rainier's reputation is well-earned.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

lfinsr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lfinsr »

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have a Rainier 18", just like what TAM recommended except 2" longer.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

Thanks guys.
I don't necessarily need sub-MOA as I intend for this to be a hadji thumper, should the need arise.
That being said, that kid of accuracy sure is enticing.

The Annoyed Man

Medic218 wrote:Thanks guys.
I don't necessarily need sub-MOA as I intend for this to be a hadji thumper, should the need arise.
That being said, that kid of accuracy sure is enticing.
Look at it this way.... My barrel guarantees sub MOA, but I am not capable of sub MOA without a powerful scope. Even so, I can shoot this barrel more accurately with an Aimpoint Micro than I can shoot a crappy barrel with a good optic. We are civilians, and collateral damage is not permitted to us. Therefore, we are responsible for every bullet that leaves our muzzle. If "Haji thumping" means that one or more of your bullets killed an innocent person, that's not worth the money you saved on the barrel.....particularly when the cost difference in many cases will Less than $100 or so. If you can get that kind of accuracy from an ARP barrel for less money, then it really is a no-brainer. Buy the ARP. But if they don't guarantee their barrel, then go with the one who does. Another thing recommending the Rainier barrel is the polygonal rifling, which offers two advantages:
  1. Polygonal rifling makes barrel cleaning way easier - which for a lazy boy like me is a God-send.
  2. polygonal rifling adds velocity, which on carbine-length and shorter barrels is a concern. Increased velocity translates to flatter shooting, longer range, and harder hitting.
Then there are the benefits of stainless steel to be considered.....and if you want black, Rainier offers the stainless barrel with a black finish. The only reason I didn't buy the black version was that it was on back order at the time, and I'm probably going to cerakote the barrel and other parts at some point t down the road anyway.

#TINVOWOOT

bcooper
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bcooper »

I use a Daniel Defense Light Weight Barrel for my AR15 and love it.

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

I am thinking about this rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory. Anyone think this is a good barrel for mainly range fun?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-c ... e-kit.html

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Do yourself a favor and get a barrel chambered in .223 Wylde. /you won't suffer the .223/5.56 controversy.

bnc

Post by bnc »

Rayden wrote:I am thinking about this rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory. Anyone think this is a good barrel for mainly range fun?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-c ... e-kit.html
Yes. PSA's CHF barrels are made by FN and are good to go. I have the 20" upper and would buy again any day.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”