"Truck Shotgun"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: "Truck Shotgun"

Post by puma guy »

I visited our new Cabela's and finally found some 12ga Remington 2-3/4" #1 Buckshot. They only had 4 boxes which was enough to qualify for the $5 rebate. I also got some RIO #4 buckshot to try out.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

But, what about the Federal GFSZA....and what if you have to stop at the post office parking lot?????? "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Mossy.

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

karder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karder »

I prefer a shotgun for truck carry. I usually keep a Winchester defender 1300 with 00 buck in my Bronco. I believe that it is hard to beat a shotgun for a general purpose tool, hunt/fight/defend. If I am going out to the desert where there might be a lot of illegals or drug smugglers I switch out to an AR, but otherwise I prefer a 12 gauge.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Here's a good inexpensive option. It's reliable and cheap enough if it gets stolen or beat up some.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossber ... tid=298704

Hickok 45 recently did a video about it and he seems to like it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've only got one pump gun these days - a 20" Mossberg 590A1. Between the cost of the gun and an aftermarket sight upgrade, I've got $850 in it........so, not a cheap throw away, but also not much more expensive than a generic AR15, and a whole lot LESS than I have in either of my AR15s.

The shotgun's capacity is 8+1, and I have a 6 round receiver-mounted shell carrier for it. I have Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck in it right now, but I also have some of the Federal #1 flight control, as well as some slugs. I hadn't thought of a bandolier, but that seems like a good idea.

I hadn't given much thought to carrying the shotty in my car, but, why not? Well, for me, here's why not.....I think I'm better with a carbine than with a shotgun. Of course, practice could change that, and as reliable as the AR is, the pump gun is probably more so. But I just hadn't though of it much beyond it's being a home defense gun unless I was bugging out.

So my question is for those of you who have a shotty in your vehicles.... are you also carrying a rifle/carbine? Or is the shotgun in place of a rifle/carbine? And for those of you who do own both a shotgun and an AR/AK (AndyC, for instance), if you're keeping a shotgun in the car but not a rifle/carbine, what's your rationale? I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I would want to pursue.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've only got one pump gun these days - a 20" Mossberg 590A1. Between the cost of the gun and an aftermarket sight upgrade, I've got $850 in it........so, not a cheap throw away, but also not much more expensive than a generic AR15, and a whole lot LESS than I have in either of my AR15s.

The shotgun's capacity is 8+1, and I have a 6 round receiver-mounted shell carrier for it. I have Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck in it right now, but I also have some of the Federal #1 flight control, as well as some slugs. I hadn't thought of a bandolier, but that seems like a good idea.

I hadn't given much thought to carrying the shotty in my car, but, why not? Well, for me, here's why not.....I think I'm better with a carbine than with a shotgun. Of course, practice could change that, and as reliable as the AR is, the pump gun is probably more so. But I just hadn't though of it much beyond it's being a home defense gun unless I was bugging out.

So my question is for those of you who have a shotty in your vehicles.... are you also carrying a rifle/carbine? Or is the shotgun in place of a rifle/carbine? And for those of you who do own both a shotgun and an AR/AK (AndyC, for instance), if you're keeping a shotgun in the car but not a rifle/carbine, what's your rationale? I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I would want to pursue.

I don't currently own a carbine but that will be my next purchase. As I said earlier, I have just become so accustomed to my shotgun, that it is second nature for me to grab. I will have to take the time to become proficient, and confident in my abilities with a carbine and determine whether I would want to carry it instead of the shotgun. I like my Mossberg 500 because I have different barrels that I can incorporate depending on whether I am going hunting, or if I have it set up for HD (or TD in this thread) that I can change in under 30 seconds ( I know I'm OCD about timing things like that) I know the limitations of the shotgun including round count, effective distance, and recoil. And it is just a second option (right now) to my handgun. I know that the shotgun is not for everyone and if you are more confident and proficient with your rifle, then I wouldn't recommend changing, but it is something I enjoy practicing with and it may just give you a third option, in case there is some reason your rifle suffers some catastrophic failure or damage that would render it ineffective. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The shotgun's capacity is 8+1, and I have a 6 round receiver-mounted shell carrier for it. I have Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck in it right now, but I also have some of the Federal #1 flight control, as well as some slugs. I hadn't thought of a bandolier, but that seems like a good idea.
I thought about a bandolier, but it seems like it would be slow, taking each individual shell off of it before you can load it.

Instead, I purchased a 5.11 PUSH pack for the purpose. I can use the main compartment as sort of a "dump pouch" for loose shells. As a bonus, I have all those smaller pockets for anything I care to add... maybe a few slugs and some breaching rounds. I got mine at GT Distributors.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The shotgun's capacity is 8+1, and I have a 6 round receiver-mounted shell carrier for it. I have Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck in it right now, but I also have some of the Federal #1 flight control, as well as some slugs. I hadn't thought of a bandolier, but that seems like a good idea.
I thought about a bandolier, but it seems like it would be slow, taking each individual shell off of it before you can load it.

Instead, I purchased a 5.11 PUSH pack for the purpose. I can use the main compartment as sort of a "dump pouch" for loose shells. As a bonus, I have all those smaller pockets for anything I care to add... maybe a few slugs and some breaching rounds. I got mine at GT Distributors.
That looks like a slightly larger version of the Fatboy-S sling bag that I have: https://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/ca ... detail.jpg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:

I like my bandolier I got it from amazon. it is more for an emergency run and gun situational use. I can throw it diagonally over my left shoulder and still shoulder my shotgun with my right hand, tactical reloads are a little slower than from the side saddle, but it will be for when I have sought some type of cover, and can reload both the shotgun and the side saddle, for re-engagement purposes. Most of the practice I do will (I hope) never need to be used. The bandolier I have is this one from Amazon It holds 56 rounds it seem to hang better for me that way and I can lay it on top of my gun case behind my seat and with minimal motion, have gun and extra rounds. Here is the link.

Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

That looks like a slightly larger version of the Fatboy-S sling bag that I have: https://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/ca ... detail.jpg
It's certainly the same concept and should do the job nicely. :mrgreen:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Has anyone ever considered something like a milsurp Claymore bag?

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”