Buffer Retainer Broke Through Buffer Tube

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Buffer Retainer Broke Through Buffer Tube

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Should I replace the buffer tube?
I don't think so unless there is some problem with it that caused an interference and therefore prohibited it from seating all the way to begin with. Try screwing it in and see if it retains the spring pin. Might just have been a manufacturing oversight. But if the spring pin (buffer retainer) is bent, you obviously will need to replace that. Pretty minor.
The buffer retainer definitely has to be replaced. It is bent so bad that it will not even fit in the hole anymore.
$0.98 at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 17559.aspx

If you need the spring, that's another $0.95 at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 17560.aspx
Thanks TAM! They should be on the way Monday.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

carlson1 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Should I replace the buffer tube?
I don't think so unless there is some problem with it that caused an interference and therefore prohibited it from seating all the way to begin with. Try screwing it in and see if it retains the spring pin. Might just have been a manufacturing oversight. But if the spring pin (buffer retainer) is bent, you obviously will need to replace that. Pretty minor.
The buffer retainer definitely has to be replaced. It is bent so bad that it will not even fit in the hole anymore.
$0.98 at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 17559.aspx

If you need the spring, that's another $0.95 at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 17560.aspx
Thanks TAM! They should be on the way Monday.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
But it did not "break thru" the buffer tube. There is an "on -purpose" recess there in order to catch the outer lip of the spring pin. Here is my S&W AR-10:

Interesting. I've never encountered a buffer tube with the recess.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

A few months back I had a malfunctioning problem with a 40 year old SP1 Colt AR.

The buffer tube had loosened and backed out slightly allowing the buffer detent to raise up too high and it was bent by the buffer slamming into it. There isn't a castle nut on a full stock old style AR.

A few weeks later I read about how up until the middle 60's, M16s & AR 15s were drilled for a roll pin that ran perpendicular to the buffer tube.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

bulletslap wrote:A few months back I had a malfunctioning problem with a 40 year old SP1 Colt AR.

The buffer tube had loosened and backed out slightly allowing the buffer detent to raise up too high and it was bent by the buffer slamming into it. There isn't a castle nut on a full stock old style AR.

A few weeks later I read about how up until the middle 60's, M16s & AR 15s were drilled for a roll pin that ran perpendicular to the buffer tube.
How did that happen? The eggplate is what indexes your extension. The eggplate would have had to rotate and you'd think you would notice that...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

I bought a Bushmaster AR-10 (technically, an Optics-Ready-Carbine in .308) a few years ago. Whenever I fired it, after a few rounds the buffer retaining pin and spring would pop out. The spring got bent, so I called Bushmaster and they sent a new pin and spring. The cure was just as TAM said, loosen the castle nut and screw the buffer tube in one more turn. It's been working flawlessly since then.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

RogueUSMC wrote:
bulletslap wrote:A few months back I had a malfunctioning problem with a 40 year old SP1 Colt AR.

How did that happen? The eggplate is what indexes your extension. The eggplate would have had to rotate and you'd think you would notice that...
It is a full stock rifle, it doesn't have a egg plate.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”