Short, Light Weight Bolt Rifle in 308

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Short, Light Weight Bolt Rifle in 308

Post by Pawpaw »

Beiruty wrote:This is why I asked. Not sure what happened to TopGun range. It was nice and the owner was in control and improving the facility and they had the six shooters there too. It is a mystery.
Is the range really closed or is it just the website?

I drove through Leonard Thursday, but I was on the wrong highway and couldn't make the side trip.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Both the Remington 700 SBS Tactical and the S&W. MP10 weigh under 8 lbs. I have both and actually enjoy shooting The AR 10 more than the bolt gun.

I put around 100 rounds of XM118 thru the AR today, out to 500 yds. As far as reliability, I have had ZERO issues over the 2 years I have owned it, and in fact I hardly ever clean it.

I have an AR 15 that does well at 500, just can't hear the hits and so you have to get up and go look - it's very inconvenient :smilelol5:
Where did you shoot today?
Friend took me to ETTS. I have brass for you :cheers2:

Top Gun appears to be out of business? :confused5
What did you think of ETTS? I'm a member there now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Both the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and the S&W MP10 weigh under 8 lbs. I have both and actually enjoy shooting The AR 10 more than the bolt gun.

I put around 100 rounds of XM118 thru the AR today, out to 500 yds. As far as reliability, I have had ZERO issues over the 2 years I have owned it, and in fact I hardly ever even bother to clean it.

I have an AR 15 that does well at 500, just can't hear the hits and so you have to get up and go look - it's very inconvenient :smilelol5:
I picked up a used M&P10 today. What are you using for an optic?
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Right2Carry wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Both the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and the S&W MP10 weigh under 8 lbs. I have both and actually enjoy shooting The AR 10 more than the bolt gun.

I put around 100 rounds of XM118 thru the AR today, out to 500 yds. As far as reliability, I have had ZERO issues over the 2 years I have owned it, and in fact I hardly ever even bother to clean it.

I picked up a used M&P10 today. What are you using for an optic?
http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x32-Viper-P ... 79351.aspx
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. It has a 16" 1:10 barrel and weighs 7 lbs - light enough. I like the advantage of detachable box magazines.
I'll second this recommendation.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I would look at the Ruger American or Savage Axis/Axis 2 lines. Low cost accuracy and reliability. I have the Ruger American in .308 I can squeeze about 1 moa on a good day.

it's 6 lbs naked. my only gripe is the stock is a little flimsy and flexes enough to lose the free float. on newer models this may have improved

it think makes a great hunting/hiking/camping/ survival rifle
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Both the Remington 700 SBS Tactical and the S&W. MP10 weigh under 8 lbs. I have both and actually enjoy shooting The AR 10 more than the bolt gun.

I put around 100 rounds of XM118 thru the AR today, out to 500 yds. As far as reliability, I have had ZERO issues over the 2 years I have owned it, and in fact I hardly ever clean it.

Where did you shoot today?
Friend took me to ETTS. I have brass for you :cheers2:

Top Gun appears to be out of business? :confused5
What did you think of ETTS? I'm a member there now.
Let's put it this way, if you ever feel like you need company, I'm there for you! :cheers2:

This was actually a class held by P2 Concepts http://p2-concepts.com/ using the ETTS facility. Terrific instruction, good comraderie and excellent facility!

On Saturday we sighted in on the 100 & 200 yard range (had to have MOA accuracy at 200 to move on) and then went over to the 500 yard tactical range. What a great FUN set-up! Steel targets at all different (and unexact) distances out to 500 yards, some full size 40" silohuette profiles, others much less, some hiding behind trees or corrugated piping or in high grass. We did a challenge where the spotter would call a target (we had marked them with numbers. letters or shapes) and against the timer you had to acquire and hit. Suffice it to say that accuracy beats speed :fire

On Sunday we went over to the "big boy" 1200 yd range. I hit steel with my AR-15 (20" 1:9 BBL using Hornady 68 gr match loads) out to 600 yds and hit steel with my AR-10 out to 800 yds (18" 1:10 bbl, using XM118LR) in a 15-25 mph cross wind. At 800 yds I was holding the bottom gradient line of my MOA reticle at the base of the silohuette and holding a full silohuette width off for windage! Felt weird to be aiming at the berm in order to hit the target! I even went after some of the small hanging "gongs" at 300 yds (ala Beiruty) and after successfully hitting those decided to call it a day ending on a high note :thumbs2:

It was the best rifle shooting experience that I have had to-date!

Here is a pic of our group of degenerates, there will likely be a follow-up course again this year if anybody is interested:

NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter Clinger wrote:It was the best rifle shooting experience that I have had to-date!
I do love it there. REALLY friendly people who run things too. My big accomplishment was hitting half of a clay pigeon on the 800 yard berm.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pawpaw wrote:
Beiruty wrote:This is why I asked. Not sure what happened to TopGun range. It was nice and the owner was in control and improving the facility and they had the six shooters there too. It is a mystery.
Is the range really closed or is it just the website?

I drove through Leonard Thursday, but I was on the wrong highway and couldn't make the side trip.
Initially they said closed for renovations with no date available for re-opening. I sent an email to confirm and received one word answer. No response after that. Tried calling, went to voice mail, have not tried again in over a month. Too bad 'cause C-Dub, Beiruty and I really enjoyed ourselves that one day we were there!
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Maybe next time we gang on trip to ETTS. Just let me know when and I will stock up on my reloads for 300WM.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Remington makes a model 7 chambered in .308 that weighs in around 6.5 pounds.

http://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-seven
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Lena

Post by Lena »

Per post title:
Remington 788 .308 carbine
short, very light, usually shoot very well, not too expensive and if you look you can find one.

For those not familiar with 788's they are no longer made, reason they shot so well the 700's came out and due to price hurt the 700's sales.

Just a plain simple great shooting rifle, I have 3. The carbine versions are short, few accessories for them. Shoot them as is, &
9 lugs on bolt, very stout action

Extra mags on ebay
Stay Safe

jason812

Post by jason812 »

LSUTiger wrote:I would look at the Ruger American or Savage Axis/Axis 2 lines. Low cost accuracy and reliability. I have the Ruger American in .308 I can squeeze about 1 moa on a good day.

it's 6 lbs naked. my only gripe is the stock is a little flimsy and flexes enough to lose the free float. on newer models this may have improved

it think makes a great hunting/hiking/camping/ survival rifle
If the lattice, support web, or whatever you want to call it is exposed under the barrel, you can take a glass bedding kit and fill this in to strengthen the stock. I glass bedded the entire barrel channel on a .30-06 I'm working on because when I free floated the barrel, I could get the wood stock to flex and touch the barrel. It will add weight though and I plan to do this to a .22 I have with a plastic stock.

I'm a fan of Winchester model 70's and you can find some "featherweight" versions but I'm not sure about the new lineup. I agree for the price the Savage and Ruger are tough to beat.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I will jump in on the Ruger Gunsite Scout bandwagon. It is lightweight, easy to handle and comes with decent iron sights. I have the stainless steel model and is rugged enough to be an everyday truck gun, and the black laminate makes it a pretty thing even with a little bit of rough treatment. The forward mounted scope option makes it easy for both iron and glass to co-exist.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”