Carbine optics

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Carbine optics

Post by jason812 »

Not to derail TAM's thread any further, I would like to hear some thoughts on a 1ish variable power scope vs a red dot with a flip off magnifier on a carbine. Specifically a 14.5" barreled 5.56. I would like to keep the price less than $600 and prefer an illuminated reticle. The rifle is used for varmint and hogs (which are big varmints) and I would like to keep it handy for 2 legged varmints as well cause you never know. A bullet drop reticle is not mandatory.

Red dots are fast on target but for me, 100 yrs is about it for range. Being parralax free, they are more forgiving if you don't get the rifle shouldered correctly. The magnifier adds bulk but if you have multiple guns with red dots, they can be easily moved back and forth.

At 4 power on a scope, you can make a shot at a few hundred yards if you wanted. There is less bulk and items attached to the rifle. Also, if the batteries die, you can still see the reticle.

It's a tough decision for me to make and I think I could be happy either way. I already have an Aimpoint Pro on a 300 blackout pistol.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carbine optics

Post by AJSully421 »

I have two Aimpoint M3s, one T-1, an ACOG TA-02 LED 4x red chevron on my 5.56 rifles, and a 4-12x Bushnell Elite on my .308.

If someone came to me and said, give me another $1,300 to keep your ACOG... I would cut him a check there and then. I love that when it is off, it is just a black recticle in there. Then, you can turn it in on low light and have the top part be illuminated.

If you cannot swing that much, then there is nothing wrong with an Aimpoint PRO. I can consistently make hits out to 300 with my M3 just by holding "one dot over". I have them sighted in for 50/200... so 100 is one dot low, 300 is one dot high, a little over two dots high at 400. Beyond that, duck down, run like crazy, and flank them.

The T-1 is nice and small and light (a little too small for my taste). But for the money, the M3/ML3 or the PRO is the way to go.

I would not bother with magnifiers behind red dots. But that is just me.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Never used it, and so have no idea about how good it is. Looks about like what you want though.

Bushnell AR Optics FFP Illuminated BTR-1 BDC Reticle AR-223 Riflescope with Target Turrets and Throw Down PCL, 1-4x 24mm
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

I fondled just about every scope on that fits the list at Cabela's and Gander Mountain. Let's see, there was the Leupold VX-R Patrol, Vortex Viper PST, Vortex Strike Eagle, Bushnell Throw Down PCL, Burris Tac 30, and Nikon M223.

Of all of them, I like the Fire Dot SPR reticle on the Leuopold the best. I liked the field of view and 1x on the Vortex Viper PST but the reticle seemed too fat, same with the Burris. I do not like the Nikon reticle and the Bushnell being first focal plane, the reticle was way too small on 1x power. I wish somebody had a Lucid in stock just to pick one up and I didn't not look at the Trijicon TR24. Unless I can get one seriously on sale, anything Trijicon is out of the budget.

So it looks like my choice is between the Leupold and Vortex Viper. If the Leupold was 1x instead of 1.25x, it would be no contest. I'm wondering once it's mounted, if the 1.25x would be as noticeable as it was inside the store?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AJSully421 wrote:I love that when it is off, it is just a black recticle in there. Then, you can turn it in on low light and have the top part be illuminated.
I have a TA31F 4x32 regular ACOG (tritium/fiberoptic). A strip of electrical tape on the fiberoptic element renders it practically all black in broad daylight. You can peel the tape back if you need more illumination from ambient light, and of course at night the tritium does an admirable job. No batteries, does the same thing as yours, and one small roll of electrical tape will last you longer than the scope will.

ACOG's absolutely rock. And with their Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC), they work great for CQB too. A buddy of mine who is former MARSOC told me they trained at CQB in shoot houses with SBRs topped with ACOGs and they worked great.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”