Sawed Off Shotgun

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dannyboy
Posts in topic: 1

Sawed Off Shotgun

Post by Dannyboy »

Here's a question:

For a sawed off to be legal, I understand the barrel must be at least 18" long. No shorter. And then 26 inches overall from end to end.

Does this mean we can also cut back the stock, as long as the overall length is 26", with a barrel length of 18"?

Weg

Re: Sawed Off Shotgun

Post by Weg »

If you do not violate either one of the length measurements it is legal. The act of cutting the stock does not mean anything is violated, it is though when the said cutting brings it to under 26".

From the ATF website, here is an example of one that is not legal.

l2ga. Crude Manufacture

Classification

Image of a 12ga Crude Manufacture
Weapon Made from a Shotgun

Distinctive Characteristics

Barrel less than 18 inches and/or overall length less than 26 inches, stock altered, barrel cut down. Often mistakenly called a "sawed off shotgun." In this instance overall length is determining factor. However, if the overall length is 26 inches or more and barrel less than 18 inches, this weapon would still be classified as a firearm under the Act.

Rate of Transfer Tax

$200.00

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Dannyboy wrote:Here's a question:

For a sawed off to be legal, I understand the barrel must be at least 18" long. No shorter. And then 26 inches overall from end to end.

Does this mean we can also cut back the stock, as long as the overall length is 26", with a barrel length of 18"?
Incorrect understanding.

BBL can be < 18 if it maintains 26 length.

(6) The term “short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches

so cut BBL or stock as you prefer, just keep it 26 OAL.

example of what I mean:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I think above addressed Federal Regs, but add Texas Penal code
10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
What I did in the 1970s was cut the barrel 18.25 inches (measured inside barrel), then measure how much stock to cut to stay over 26 inches overall

couzin

Post by couzin »

Solaris wrote:Incorrect understanding.

BBL can be < 18 if it maintains 26 length.

(6) The term “short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches

so cut BBL or stock as you prefer, just keep it 26 OAL.
Actually - the BATF technical comment on this is regarding a weapon that never had a shoulder stock attached and therefore is not a shotgun, it is just a firearm. Therefore it can have a pistol grip and a short barrel and is still not an AOW regardless of length. The way I read it (and it would not be the first time I have read something wrong) - you shorten the barrel of a shoulder mounted stock on a classified 'shotgun' to under the 18" rule it will not matter if it is 26". And, Texas probably does not agree with the BATF technical letter so one could be in a jackpot with the State as well, or instead of the Feds.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

This is how I solved the dilemma at my house. Out of the box with a 18" barrel and overall length of 26".

I believe it has a design flaw in that the pump/slide/fore grip and its built in Picatinny rail are molded plastic and subject to breakage if a broom handle is mounted. A KSG should never have a broom handle installed on the slide. If you break off the broom handle you risk exposing your pump hand to the muzzle! (Google it)

I believe a hand guard on the forward grip is mandatory. Otherwise, after a hundred or so break-in rounds I like it very much.

Neither of these is my KSG but they all look alike to me and I do have the Magpul hand guard installed.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”