Best Brands for AR parts?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cyphur
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Best Brands for AR parts?

Post by cyphur »

Forgot to add - if you run an adjustable gas block, you will need a free float hand guard/rail. The front sight post (FSP) holds the brace that holds the current or Magpul handguards. When that goes away, so goes the snap-in hand guards.

el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

as you can see, everyone has an opinion, and a reason (real or perceived) as to why something is best, good enough, or no good at all.

Personally, I lean toward BCM, Noveske, LMT, and a couple other small companies I support, but I have a few Aero's around for fun too.

As mentioned, an adjustable gas bock is great if you need to go between suppressed and unsuppressed, but otherwise, get the gun running and never touch it. Cheap barrels tend to be overgassed, though some higher end stuff will be too. You can work with buffer weights to slow down the BCG in most cases, though.

IMHO:

If it is a fun gun, not serious use, I wouldnt mess with BUIS with a 1-6. Do a non adjustable that will work with the handguard cap (or chop yours - easy, quick, free, and no one sees it when the rail goes on anyways - mine below), and later you can add a free float rail. I would spend the $$ you were going to spend on a new gas block and sights on a cat-tail for the scope and a new rail. Aero makes some pretty decent stuff for a budget rail (though a bit large in diameter), as does Seekins (and FYI, the Primary Arms rails are made by Seekins, as are a few others). ALG makes a GREAT budget rail as well, and is purported to have one of the best barrel nut systems. They are a sister company to Geissele. And Bravo Company's KMR is fantastic if you dig keymod, and want a small diameter rail.

Lots of others too, but those would be where I would start.

But to just run with a "budget" in mind:

A Aero Quantum rail: $85, 12" with bbl nut
Chopped FSP - Free (if you have tools)
3 Gun Stuff cattail - $30 Polymer (primary arms), about $60 if you want metal.

That gives you the ability to free float, and quick adjust from 1-6 as needed, and since the scope has a etched glass reticle, you are still good if a battery dies.

Start:

After the cut of the sight post

Shaping

Shape after:

This is on an LMT barrel with a pinned flash hider, so removing it wasnt an option. I masked and cut, and ground to shape, then touched up with paint. I had to cut off the hand guard cap, so there is a gap between the shoulder and the gas block, but it is a pinned block, no worries about it sliding.

You can do the chop (very carefully!) and reinstall with the handguard cap still in place, as a temp thing if you want as well. Its just kind of ugly unless you are really careful/good with the grinder and spray. But who cares?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

If you are going "whole hog", why stick with the Alpha version of the KMR? Get the nice one and grab a V7 Ti barrel nut to go with it, and save 3 more oz.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

Why an adjustable gas block? I have two barrels that I cut down FSBs and installed a LaRue over them. Best system on the planet. Don't have to worry about set screws or gas settings. I run everything from 55grn remington in the white and green box to BH .223 77grn OTM to M193, both suppressed and unsuppressed from a 12.5" carbine length and a 16" midlength with an H buffer, auto carrier, and have had zero problems with either.

It is my experience that an adjustable gas block is a solution in search of a problem... with more moving parts and things that could go wrong in the mean time.

My Sig 716 has an adjustable piston gas block. It gets picky and the "suppressed" setting starts to short stroke, so I end up leaving it in "normal" all the time whether suppressed or not... may as well not have it be adjustable.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 5

Post by maverick2076 »

Personally, I like the adjustable gas block, even on unsuppressed guns, just for the ability to tune the gas flow once, and then set it and leave it alone. Adjusting with buffers and springs is another option, although it can get pricey too as you search for just the right combination.

When it comes down to it, the strength of the AR platform is that there are at least a dozen solutions for every scenario and issue. From sighting systems, to charging handles and gas blocks, to different stocks and handguards. 100 people can build 100 AR's, and each one can build a different rifle, for a different mission, tailored exactly to their needs, preferences, budget, etc.

Topic author
JMod45

Post by JMod45 »

I ended up getting that exact rail on Friday at my local store, $185, better than online :mrgreen:

Talked to at least 5 people at a few gun stores in town about parts and such, and I ended up skipping the adjustable gas block. I may look into one later, but I'm not sold on the idea anymore. Ended up with a basic CMMG low-profile.
https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/gas-block- ... le-750-id/

Also got some more customizing in with some Magpul parts:

Different Grip
https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-k2- ... ip-ar15-m4

I wanted the single point QD mount, so I ended up with the dual QD sling, since the BCM rail came with a QD mount.
https://www.magpul.com/products/ms4-dual-qd-sling-gen2
https://www.magpul.com/products/asap-qd

So on Friday morning, I had this:

and by Friday evening, I had this:

I guess I didn't get a good picture with the sling.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

JMod45 wrote:
So on Friday morning, I had this:

and by Friday evening, I had this:

I guess I didn't get a good picture with the sling.
Looks sharp!!

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Nice! My first AR still has a front sight post, which doesn't bother me as I just run a red dot. Everything I'm building now runs a FF rail and either no irons or flip ups. Its just a better setup all around.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”