So I picked up a new rifle.... And some questions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Justin2200
Posts in topic: 3

So I picked up a new rifle.... And some questions

Post by Justin2200 »

But it's 71 years old. And I'm having trouble identifying exactly where it came from. A first glance over indicates of course that it is a k98. But there are NO markings at all on the wide part of the receiver where you would commonly see marks. The bolt is a mismatch, which I'm okay with. I bought this rifle primarily to learn on. I'm sure there is someone here far more experienced with the Mauser than I, and I would love your input. Perhaps the stock was changed too, as it did not have that trademark tool for removing the firing pin, nor a strap through cutout. I'll need to transfer the photos to my computer and down size them.

Two other interesting thoughts: This particular buttstock does not have the cutout for a turned down bolt handle. And I've also never seen a K98 with an upper hand guard that extends back beyond the rear sight. (Albeit I have limited experience with these things, but none of the ones I've seen photos of have the long upper handguard). The upper handguard was cracked, and when I took it off I found some nasty looking epoxy holding on a round metal clip that secured it to the barrel. I'm not sure if that was original either, I though they were slip fitted.

Before I picked up the rifle, I went out and bought a sight hood...and it turns out this particular rifle has a different style of front sight and won't take a hood. Not sure if this is some mish mash of a bunch of different parts, or if it's not actually a k98, or what. Just not sure. I don't know enough about them. I know that it will safely chamber and fire 7.92 x 57 cartridges (I belive in .323, though I have not actually slugged the barrel yet). Date codes indicated 1945.
Attachments
20160719_183523.jpg
20160719_183452.jpg
2016-07-23_18.18.50.jpg

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So I picked up a new rifle.... And some questions

Post by joe817 »

I'm sure no expert on Mauser guns used during WWI or WWII, but that one pic of the full rifle looks like a Mauser Gewehr 98 (Not 98k) as it has a straight bolt. That's the rifle the Wehrmacht issued its troops as the main German battle rifle of WWI, since it does not have a turned down bolt. IIRC, all 98k's do have the turned down bolt with the cut out to accommodate the turned bolt. I believe the 98k was adopted for use in 1934 or 1935.

But you said it had a date code of 1945. Soooooo.....

Here is a link to Mauser 98k Proof Marks that may help you identify it. It has a lot of good stuff in it:

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gbkomen.html

Wikipedia has a pretty good rundown on the 98k:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k

Good luck on identifying it!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TexasRedMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasRedMonkey »

It appears to be a Yugo m24.

Info on the M24

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_series

Hope this helps.

Topic author
Justin2200

Post by Justin2200 »

I had my suspicions that it might have come out of Yugoslavia, as it has none of the standard German markings on it. I've already cross referenced with all the information I can find on the German makes. Apart from the S S S stamped into the rear sight base plate. But from what I gather, that is an identifier for the steel company.

It's definitely something I need to do much more research on

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Where are you located? I ask because I've been trying to sell some milsurp Mauser ammo for a friend of mine wh is an overseas missionary, that should shoot just fine in your rifle: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84201.

Let me know if you're interested.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Justin2200

Post by Justin2200 »

As far as ammunition, I'm very likely going to slug the bore and learn more about the rifle before I fire it, not to mention that this summer has been cruel to my wallet

But I live a stone's throw away from you

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Justin2200 wrote:As far as ammunition, I'm very likely going to slug the bore and learn more about the rifle before I fire it, not to mention that this summer has been cruel to my wallet

But I live a stone's throw away from you
Well let me know if you get interested.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”