Ranger Bolt-Action Rifle in .270 Winchester

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Ranger Bolt-Action Rifle in .270 Winchester

Post by Crash »

An acquaintance has a Ranger bolt-action rifle in .270 Winchester that he wants to sell. (Note: I'm not posting this in the "Market" section yet because I need to get some more information before he will be ready to sell it). These rifles were made in Gainesville, TX until the early 1970s. It is in excellent condition (at least 95% in Fjestad's PPGS condition ratings system). It has what I can best describe as a "blonde" stock--very, very light colored wood with very nice figure in it. Can anybody tell me what kind of wood this is? the bluing is very deep blue and is almost perfect. I think the gun was shot very little, if ever.

Would appreciate any info on the stock. :confused5

Crash

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ranger Bolt-Action Rifle in .270 Winchester

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Without seeing a picture of it, hard to say........but the last blond wood stock I saw was maple. If you search Google Images for "maple rifle stock", you'll see all kinds of pictures of blond stocks, some of which may well look like the rifle in question here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Without seeing a picture of it, hard to say........but the last blond wood stock I saw was maple. If you search Google Images for "maple rifle stock", you'll see all kinds of pictures of blond stocks, some of which may well look like the rifle in question here.
The Annoyed Man,

Thanks for the info. Is there a chance it could be screwbean mesquite? I'm going to try to post a picture of a screwbean mesquite stock blank--maybe that will help.
screwbean mesquite rifle stock.jpg
Crash

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

No idea, not having seen a pic of the rifle. Here's a picture of a rifle stock in Honey Maple. It looks kind of like that stock blank you posted:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

The Annoyed Man wrote:No idea, not having seen a pic of the rifle. Here's a picture of a rifle stock in Honey Maple. It looks kind of like that stock blank you posted:

The Annoyed Man,

I think you're right--it's honey maple. Thanks for the info and the picture.

Crash

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”