Good scope for 30-06?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Good scope for 30-06?

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've had good luck with Leupolds and Vortex scopes if you're price conscious. That said, while still being financially responsible about it, resist the temptation to buy a $250 scope if you can afford a $500 scope. Ditto, resist spending $500 if you can afford $1000. I am NOT telling you to spend $1000. What I am getting at is that if you look through two scopes of equal magnification power side by side, and one costs twice what the other costs, you WILL be able to tell why the more expensive scope is the better scope. Quality of glass, light transmission, fineness of reticle, reticle features (i.e. stadia lines and ranging features), amount of eye relief, color shifts, presence/absence of distortion around the circumference of the objective lens...... all of those things play into the price of a scope. You DO get what you pay for, and assuming this is for a hunting rifle, scope quality can give you an extra 20-30 minutes of hunting light at dawn or dusk.
:iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I previously mentioned the Vortex 2.5-10x32mm Viper PST (MRAD, FFP). I cannot recommend this scope highly enough.

MSRP is $999, but real world pricing is between $700-$800, putting it well below $1,000. I paid $799 for mine on Amazon.com.

There is a SFP version that is considerably less expensive, but I prefer FFP because the reticle subtensions are valid at all magnifications. With SFP variable power scopes, the subtensions are only valid at one magnification power. On the SFP version of this scope, I believe that it is at 10X that they are valid. With an FFP scope, you don't have to zoom back and forth between the setting where the reticle is valid in order to range the target.

There are two reticles available for it - an MOA reticle, and an MRAD reticle. They are similar in appearance, but they measure windage and elevation in either MOA, or milliradians. In either case, the turret clicks are matched to the reticle. So if you buy the MOA reticle, your turrets adjust in 1/4 MOA clicks, and if you buy the MRAD reticle, your turrets adjust in .1 mil clicks. The glass is superb. You can buy better glass, but then you're getting into prices in the thousands of dollars. You can buy scopes that are even more precise in their turret adjustments, but then you're getting into prices in the thousands of dollars.

This Viper PST scope also comes with both an ocular lens focus, and a side focus knob. The first brings the reticle into sharp focus to your eye, which is handy if you have a vision prescription. You can shoot with your glasses on, and be able to focus the reticle to match your glasses........OR, you can focus to shoot without glasses and make the reticle clear to your eye. The side focus knob brings the target into focus, so unlike scopes that lack this feature, you don't have to focus only the one and not the other. That makes a HUGE difference, especially if you're eyes are like mine and not nearly so sharp as they where when younger. Another feature is an illuminating reticle, which makes the etched reticle standout better against the background during low-light shooting.......which, face it, describes a LOT of hunting. Lastly, the scope comes with shims that can be installed in the elevation turret once the rifle has been zeroed. Those shims act as a zero stop. That means that no matter how much elevation you crank into the scope after zeroing it, you can spin the elevation knob back down and stop it to within a click or two of your baseline zero. BOTH the MOA and MRAD versions are equipped with these features.

Here is a picture of the MRAD reticle's subtensions:

Most of the Viper PST line comes in at under $1,000 in real world pricing, and you can certainly get one with higher magnification in that price range, but then you are getting into the possibility of overscoping your rifle. For years, military snipers shot out to 1,000 meters with an 8X or 10X fixed power scope. MY eyes won't do that, but it is doable. Certainly, 10X is powerful enough to cover any distance at which you are likely to shoot a game animal, even out in west Texas where the distances can be further. And 2.5X is low enough power to improve situational awareness AND make shooting closer in a lot easier. This is why 3-9x scopes are so popular. This just gives you a little more at each end, and throws in a LOT of additional quality for the price.

Lastly, the scope is light and compact, which will make it much more pleasant to hump around with on your rifle. Here is a picture of mine, mounted to my Ruger Gunsite Scout:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bulletslap
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bulletslap »

Chris that reticle looks like TV test patterns did when I was a kid, less the Indian Chief. :cool:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

ThelmaScott wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
ThelmaScott wrote:Isn't the law against the violence of animal hunting? :confused5
No, there is no law against hunting animals. You DO realize that you are on a firearms forum here, and that a LOT of us are hunters, don't you?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but understand that it isn't going to be very popular on a discussion board like this one.

......not to mention that it just plain wrong.....
I did not mean to hurt the feelings of anybody on this forum.
To be sure, you haven't "hurt" anyone's feelings. He said it wouldn't be a very popular opinion.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

+1 on Athlon. My BIL put one on his rifle and it seems very nice. It might even be a little bit clearer than my Vortex Viper PST.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

bulletslap wrote:Chris that reticle looks like TV test patterns did when I was a kid, less the Indian Chief. :cool:
Hahah! It does, doesn't it? I hadn't thought of that. But it is an immensely useful reticle. I've gotten to where I won't buy a scope that doesn't have some kind of milling reticle with matching turret adjustments.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

SRO1911 wrote:Since it hasn't been mentioned, and im turning into a jinkie - check out athlon optics. You definitely get more than you pay for, particularly with the argos line.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

For hunting purposes I listed my Excellent Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30X50 with DOA 600
See here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=87056
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

My only hunting rifle is a Ruger American .30-06. It's mounted in a Boyd's laminate stock and wears a Redfield Revolution 3-9x42 scope. The rifle was in the $400 range, so I wasn't going to spend some large amount on a scope. The Redfield Revolution is assembled in the USA and has coated lenses. I'm happy with it, it will do the job, and I feel the scope was a good purchase.

gemini

Post by gemini »

Halfsackzac wrote:Not sure if I should post this here or in holsters and accessories? If this is the wrong place I can move it over to the correct place, that being said I have a CZ 557 carbine, I love this gun and have already used it hog hunting but just used the iron sights. I want to get a good scope for her to take deer and hog hunting so I can reach out a farther. I am not very knowledgeable on optics, so any suggestions on a good scope that isn't out of this world expensive?
Thanks guys I am really enjoying this site every one seems very nice and helpful.
I'm a little late to this discussion, but, since you are wanting a hunting scope, I'll chime in my 2 cents.
A hunting scope needs differ slightly from a target or distance shooters scope. I've hunted a lot over the years.
If your main hunting grounds are in Texas,for medium to large game, then most shots will probably be at 200yds or less.
Deer, 3x9 is more than adequate. Hogs, close in 4x is plenty. However, if I only had one rifle to hunt with, I'd get
the 3x9x40 . You can't go wrong with a Leupold VX-2 3x9x40. Nikon also makes some good hunting scopes. I've had a
Nikon on one of my rifles for years and it's been a great scope. In fact it's "brighter" at dusk than the Leupold.
Anyway, Opticsplanet.com sells Leupold, Vortex and Nikon. Worth a look. Good Luck with your quest and keep us
posted with the results.

Topic author
Halfsackzac
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Halfsackzac »

Thank you all so much! I have never shot a deer any more then 35 yards because growing up in Iowa you can not hunt deer with rifles so I grew up bow hunting, I am excited to get a scope on my rifle and try a new type of deer hunting.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Halfsackzac wrote:Thank you all so much! I have never shot a deer any more then 35 yards because growing up in Iowa you can not hunt deer with rifles so I grew up bow hunting, I am excited to get a scope on my rifle and try a new type of deer hunting.
That sounds unbelievable. Are you talking about a minors or everyone?

The Annoyed Man

C-dub wrote:
Halfsackzac wrote:Thank you all so much! I have never shot a deer any more then 35 yards because growing up in Iowa you can not hunt deer with rifles so I grew up bow hunting, I am excited to get a scope on my rifle and try a new type of deer hunting.
That sounds unbelievable. Are you talking about a minors or everyone?
There are a number of states where you can't, particularly in the northeast where the population density is fairly high, and even rural population densities are significantly higher than they are here. Rifle rounds carry too far, but lots of people hunt with rifled shotgun barrels with scopes mounted, firing slugs.

#TINVOWOOT

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

I am a fan of vortex scopes and I don't think anyone can beat their warranty. I bought a vortex Diamondback 4-12 x 40 dead hold BDC for my S&W M&P .308 rifle. I love the scope and for the money and warranty vortex is hard to beat. I had looked at Nikon P-308 but decided the Vortex Diamondback at least for me was a better deal. Paid less than 200.00 for it and it works great. I have had zero issues with it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”