AR-15 research and purchase.....

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B


Topic author
JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

AR-15 research and purchase.....

#1

Post by JRG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm

I have finally decided to enter the AR-15 arena and purchase one. This being my initial rifle purchase, I am seeking out the wisdom of this group.

I would like to keep this purchase under $1000. This would primarily be a range toy, home defense gun. I don't go hunting ever, however, I would like a scope or red dot or some such on it.

I don't necessarily want one with all the bells and whistles, but also do not want one that is so cheap that some parts need to be replaced to make it function properly.

I am not skilled enough to build my own so am concentrating on completely built guns only.

Any brands stand out? Any brands to stay away from? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right.

Joe

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6561
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#2

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

IMO, what you're asking for is way too open-ended. There are far too many options out there for anyone to give you any solid advice.

Why don't you go to various gun stores. Look at & handle as many rifles as you can. Take note of the make and model of any that interest you and come back here to post those.

With more specific questions, someone here will be able to give you more solid input.

Besides, you get to go out & handle guns. Where's the downside? :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2876
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#3

Post by flechero » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Your desires are well-timed. My friend at the LGS says that AR's are plentiful and the prices are falling!

Good shopping!


Caribe
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:44 am

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#4

Post by Caribe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 pm

You could go with a Colt 6920 magpul edition under $1000. Slap a Aimpoint pro with a streamlight Tlr-1, and bam your done. :cheers2:


ninjabread
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#5

Post by ninjabread » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm

If you have no particular preferences going in, I suggest a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport with a Primary Arms Micro Dot.

There are a lot of lesser known AR brands of comparable quality at slightly lower prices, but there is something to be said for a factory warranty from a large manufacturer, especially if you don't want to tinker. The optics from Primary Arms are solid mid range gear. You can splurge for an ACOG or go cheap with a $20 RDS on eBay or Amazon, but for somebody with no preconcieved notions, the Primary Arms Micro Dot at $90 is a good place to start. There are a multitude of other options but these are solid choices that won't break your budget, and leave some money for PMAGs and ammo. :mrgreen:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.



cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#6

Post by cmgee67 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Palmetto state armory. I built and AR in 223 and an AR 9 pistol from them. Exceptional quality and I've never had one hiccup or issue. They have been 100% reliable. Also the S&W M&p 15 are decent as well. All options I have mentions are well under 1000$ and leaves you plenty of room to do whatever.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#7

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 pm

ninjabread wrote:If you have no particular preferences going in, I suggest a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport with a Primary Arms Micro Dot.

There are a lot of lesser known AR brands of comparable quality at slightly lower prices, but there is something to be said for a factory warranty from a large manufacturer, especially if you don't want to tinker. The optics from Primary Arms are solid mid range gear. You can splurge for an ACOG or go cheap with a $20 RDS on eBay or Amazon, but for somebody with no preconcieved notions, the Primary Arms Micro Dot at $90 is a good place to start. There are a multitude of other options but these are solid choices that won't break your budget, and leave some money for PMAGs and ammo. :mrgreen:
:iagree:
The S&W M&P Sport 2 is my entry into AR platform- very satisfied. I paid $599 last June/July- you can get it for $525 now
http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp ... mm-16.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#8

Post by Lynyrd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Man, AR's are kind of like buying cars. The options are unlimited. For under $1,000 you can get a basic gun in a LOT of brand names. After you buy it, then the choices start and they are only limited by your pocket book. Look at Stag, Bushmaster, S&W, DPMR, and if you want a tight one look at Rock River. My favorite is Stag. Best features and quality for the money IMHO. But, whatever you look at, don't settle for one without a forward assist and a dust cover.

It's a disease. One ain't enough. And the customizations are endless.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


Odiferous
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#9

Post by Odiferous » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm

I think it's pretty unlikely you'd have function isses with a complete rifle, unless you're talking short barrels or other chamberings (we're all assuming you're after 5.56/.223).

It doesn't seem like replacing stuff and buying accessories often has much to do with the original purchase as much as what you want the gun to be. If you need a nice trigger, you won't be happy with stock. If you need rail-mount bottle openers and iphone mounts, you'll spend a lot of time on ebay. And probably want stock in Magpul.

And I'll second Primary Arms--both for value optics and as a retailer. Good prices, frequent sales, and outstanding customer service.
Lynyrd wrote:...don't settle for one without a forward assist...
Not wanting to start the forward assist religious debate, but just thought your phrasing was interesting. I usually see the lack of a FA called a feature (often costing more) rather than something to settle for.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6561
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#10

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Forward assist = jam enhancer
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


Acronym Esq
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:40 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#11

Post by Acronym Esq » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm

JRG wrote:I have finally decided to enter the AR-15 arena and purchase one.
I would like to keep this purchase under $1000. This would primarily be a range toy, home defense gun. I don't go hunting ever, however, I would like a scope or red dot or some such on it.
I did the same thing the middle of last year. I selected the Windham Weaponry SRC and paid about $800 at Cabela's. My wife liked the dirty girl pink cammo, so that pretty much makes me a vegetarian too. It has functioned fine. It's really loud.

I got a $20 red/green dot sight from Amazon. The red diode dies after about 10 shots, but comes back on after a couple more shots. I strongly recommend against it.

I got some cheap metal flip up back up sights from Amazon. I don't have enough experience with them to comment.

I got several different mags for it. My favorite is the 20 round Lancer. It's clear, and the size is compatible with bench shooting.

I got a $30 soft side guitar case called a "gig bag" from Guitar Center to use as a disguise case. The very first time I used it, one of my nosy neighbors approached me in the drive way asking me about what type of music I played on my guitar. Worked as intended.

I've had a little trouble finding a place to shoot. The range I like requires frangible ammo (expensive). Most of the ranges around me are only 25 yards (I'd prefer 50). One of the two 50-100 yd ranges near me allows only one bullet to be *loaded* at a time.

I haven't gotten $1k of fun out of it yet. YMMV.

Acronym 2/8/2017 8:56 PM

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#12

Post by Lynyrd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Pawpaw wrote:Forward assist = jam enhancer
I couldn't disagree more. But to each his own.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#13

Post by Lynyrd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Odiferous wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:...don't settle for one without a forward assist...
Not wanting to start the forward assist religious debate, but just thought your phrasing was interesting. I usually see the lack of a FA called a feature (often costing more) rather than something to settle for.
There is a reason for the forward assist. I have needed it, and wouldn't want to be without it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

flowrie
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#14

Post by flowrie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I also wanted an AR15 for range and home.
Purchased a DPMS for $495 from Buds, free shipping, $10 transfer fee at local shop.
Then put a red dot on it.
Shoots great.
Sky is the limit price wise, just depends on what you want or need to do.
"This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins." --Benjamin Franklin

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12845
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

#15

Post by C-dub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Don't do it. You won't be able to stop once that first one is in the stable. Not kidding.

Ah, you're going to do it anyway. There are many good choices and within any price point one isn't likely to blow any of the others out of the water quality wise. It's addictive. Good luck!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”