AR-15 research and purchase.....

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 7

Re: AR-15 research and purchase.....

Post by cyphertext »

Ameer wrote:
KC5AV wrote:I have no idea as to the quality of the rifle, but Primary Arms has a complete AR for $399.
And another one.
The first is sold out now and the second has 2 stars on the Primary Arms website but it's only one review. Does anybody have experience with the Radical brand? Any company can have a lemon but some have a bushel. Google search has some drama that isn't about the build quality.

Is the second rifle worth grabbing as a truck/trunk gun or should I save my money for a famous name brand?
If it were me, I would spend the extra for the the tried and true, well reviewed S&W M&P 15 Sport II. Has already been proven and is backed by a well known manufacturer.

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JRG »

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I do believe I will be going with the S&W AR-15 Sport II model. I will be getting it from Grab A Gun. They have these in stock and at a pretty good price of $525.

What else should I be getting along with the gun? What accessories would be good?

Thanks for the help.
Joe

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

JRG wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I do believe I will be going with the S&W AR-15 Sport II model. I will be getting it from Grab A Gun. They have these in stock and at a pretty good price of $525.

What else should I be getting along with the gun? What accessories would be good?

Thanks for the help.
Joe

See, now you have opened up a whole new can of worms!! :biggrinjester:

Accessories are also dependent on what your main use will be. If its for hunting, scopes, and optics are too numerous to count. If it's for home defense you may want to equip it with lights/lasers, and maybe a red-dot sight. Fore-grips, angled, or vertical, stocks, pistol grips..... The list is endless. That's why they are so popular, because they are so easy to modify, to suit your needs. There are several threads on the forum, as well as photos, of the various additions you can make. Welcome to the world of AR. It becomes very addictive. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

What Caliber?
Recently I've read about the .223 Wylde. It seems to be designed for the best of both .223 Rem and 5.56.

I have a 3-gun AR 15 and am currently working on a very light weight (and low cost) version, that will be my second AR. I have acquired a complete lower from https://www.palmettostatearmory.com/ They don't have a 16" complete upper that I like in .223 Wylde so I am still looking.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Ameer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ameer »

JRG wrote:What else should I be getting along with the gun?
RDS, PMAGs, ammo and training.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

JRG wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Thanks for the help.
Joe
Good choice! I love my Sport II! Works well, no complaints!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

yodajim

Post by yodajim »

I Agree with the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport also
mine has been a good Rifle . I bought one of the early ones with out forward assist or ejection port cover .
Now I think the M&P Sport ii comes with both .

iv'e since changed the upper out for the assist and door , this rifle has never had an issue

:iagree: :iagree:

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

Okay, I have done more research and perhaps have a new weapon to purchase. I know I was set on getting the M&P AR 15 Sport II, but now have seen the Springfield Armory Saint. I LIKE it. It is about $300 more than the Sport II, but that would not be a problem.

Anybody have the Saint? Shot one? Pros? Cons?

Joe :bigear:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If I need to buy another AR upper, most like it should be a sub MOA capable and I am wondering if RRA is the way to go.
Last edited by Beiruty on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

apostate

Post by apostate »

Beiruty wrote:If I need to buy another AR upper, most like it should be a sub MOA capable and I wondering if RRA is the way to go.
For someone like you, maybe Seekins is the way to go for an AR upper.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

JRG wrote:Okay, I have done more research and perhaps have a new weapon to purchase. I know I was set on getting the M&P AR 15 Sport II, but now have seen the Springfield Armory Saint. I LIKE it. It is about $300 more than the Sport II, but that would not be a problem.

Anybody have the Saint? Shot one? Pros? Cons?

Joe :bigear:
The only issue I've heard of for the Saint is that the front handguard can melt if it gets too hot.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/ ... ory-saint/

That was only one hit I got from this search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... nt+melting
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

Now to the subject of magazines for AR's. Most of the AR's come with a version of Pmag. I have found Pmags for sale at various gun stores for less than $10 or so. These are marked version 2. Can someone tell me what mags to get for my new AR?

Pmags? which version?
Daniel Defense?
something else?
plastic?
steel?

Thanks for the help.
Joe

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JRG wrote:Now to the subject of magazines for AR's. Most of the AR's come with a version of Pmag. I have found Pmags for sale at various gun stores for less than $10 or so. These are marked version 2. Can someone tell me what mags to get for my new AR?

Pmags? which version?
Daniel Defense?
something else?
plastic?
steel?

Thanks for the help.
Joe
I've never seen a PMag that low, but don't think I've ever seen a Gen 2 or version 2 if they are the same thing. I've only known Gen 3 and 4 and have not had any problems with any of mine in 5.56 or 7.62. It's a tough mag to beat.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have some gen 2 pmags they typically are 10 or 11 bucks for the 30 round. I am not sure they make any 10 or 20 gen 2 anymore.

The gen 3 seems to run 14 to 18 depending on the round count, windowed/nonwindowed, and seller. I have a 10 round gen 3.

I think the difference between gen 2 and gen 3 is mostly a change in looks and change in internal structure slightly. They come with a cap for the top the mag and can have a window to see the rounds in the bottom. They also just come in black or sand color. They say they provide the sand color so that you can dye it to any other color you might want.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”