Rounds for AR?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B


Topic author
JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Rounds for AR?

#1

Post by JRG » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Along with my AR mags thread................


How much ammo should I have on hand? What weights? Brands? Where is the best place to purchase?

I am asking because I do not have an AR, but the first of next month I will. Along with the purchase of the AR, I want to get enough mags and ammo rounds at near the same time.

Thanks for the help.
Joe

User avatar

Lambda Force
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Rounds for AR?

#2

Post by Lambda Force » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 pm

Here's a good starter kit.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.


bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3517
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Rounds for AR?

#3

Post by bblhd672 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:41 am

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/01/12 ... duty-ammo/


Lots of threads on the forum about where to buy bulk ammo.


Ed4032
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 am
Location: DFW

Re: Rounds for AR?

#4

Post by Ed4032 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 am

uh... kind of like I said before. If you know how many you have then you don't have enough.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23675
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Rounds for AR?

#5

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

Lambda Force wrote:Here's a good starter kit.
That's a good setup right there. I would recommend at least one bulk purchase of 1,000 rounds of "plinking/war" ammo. 55 grain M193 fmj is fine, 62 grain M855 if you can afford it. I also recommend at least 100 rounds of 55 to 65 grain soft points for hunting/home defense. And then depending on the quality of the AR you buy (or build) and its barrel twist, a couple of boxes of either some 68/69 grain or 75/77 grain BTHP match.

After you've had a chance to determine what general kind of ammo shoots best in your particular rifle, then refine your choices according to bullet type for your intended applications. For instance, maybe you want to find out if a A-Max or G-Max Hornady bullet, or a Sierra Gameking shoots better from your barrel than a bulk loaded soft point of near equal weight.

Other good ammo sources:
  • FreedomMunitions.com
  • Stand1Armory.com
  • ammunitiontogo.com
  • Also check out http://www.gunbot.net, where you can set up a free account with your preferences, to find the lowest prices available at any given time.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Rounds for AR?

#6

Post by cyphertext » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am

Before you purchase any ammo, where are you going to shoot? If you are planning to shoot at the local range, either public or private, check their rules on ammo. A lot of the ranges around me do not allow FMJ, so having 1000 rounds of FMJ plinking ammo would not do me any good if I only had access to those ranges.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1075
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Rounds for AR?

#7

Post by Lynyrd » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 am

I've got a neighbor that has 10K rounds of M855 62gr. A friend of mine who has a range on his property has almost as much but in 55gr FMJ. I've got a few thousand rounds of both. If you don't think you have enough, buy more. You can't put a price on piece of mind.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Rounds for AR?

#8

Post by WTR » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

Make sure you coordinate bullet weight with barrel twist.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23675
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Rounds for AR?

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Lynyrd wrote:I've got a neighbor that has 10K rounds of M855 62gr. A friend of mine who has a range on his property has almost as much but in 55gr FMJ. I've got a few thousand rounds of both. If you don't think you have enough, buy more. You can't put a price on piece of mind.
Reminds me of a post by 03LightingRocks (a member who hasn't been around for a while) in which he said that he had over 60,000 rounds of 5.56 on hand. :thumbs2:

Maybe some day......
http://www.bitethebullet.co/100000-rounds-of-223556
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


Topic author
JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: Rounds for AR?

#10

Post by JRG » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:08 pm

All good info guys!! Thanks!

Joe


LeonCarr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Rounds for AR?

#11

Post by LeonCarr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 pm

99% of what I need to do with an AR I can do with handloaded 55 Grain Hornady Soft Points averaging 3200 fps from a 20 inch barrel. This bullet is also available in factory loaded ammunition from Hornady.

The other 1% of situations that require more penetration can be handled with 62 Grain M855 Green Tips or 77 Grain MK262 BTHPs for two legged varmints or 60-70 Grain controlled expansion soft points for four legged varmints up to about 300 pounds.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1086
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Rounds for AR?

#12

Post by troglodyte » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Lambda Force wrote:Here's a good starter kit.
Whoops! Not Found.

The deal is gone or moved.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Rounds for AR?

#13

Post by RPBrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:I've got a neighbor that has 10K rounds of M855 62gr. A friend of mine who has a range on his property has almost as much but in 55gr FMJ. I've got a few thousand rounds of both. If you don't think you have enough, buy more. You can't put a price on piece of mind.
Reminds me of a post by 03LightingRocks (a member who hasn't been around for a while) in which he said that he had over 60,000 rounds of 5.56 on hand. :thumbs2:

Maybe some day......
http://www.bitethebullet.co/100000-rounds-of-223556
I am trying to get to that round count but my AR's keep eating them almost as fast as I buy them :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11963
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Rounds for AR?

#14

Post by C-dub » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 am

As I've mentioned in one or more other threads, I currently have no idea how much I have in a few of my common calibers. In 5.56/.223, I began buying up whatever was in stock at wallyworld a few years ago at a pace of about 300-500 rounds a month, while only shooting about 100 rounds a month. Some months I'd shoot a couple hundred and other time I either wouldn't get to the range or only shoot handgun or shotgun. I'd guess that I have somewhere between 3k-5k of a mix of 55gr and 62gr, with a sprinkling of 45gr for some reason.

I mainly bought it when I did because the prices were low and it was only a matter of time before something happened prices would skyrocket again and all the stores would be out of stock. When I wanted to get started in 3-gun I thought the toughest part would be getting a decent shotgun, but no. The most difficult part turned out to be ammunition for carbine. So much so that, IIRC, most places that held 3-gun events stopped for several months because no one or not enough people were signing up for the matches due to ammunition availability.

My new job also cut into my shooting time. So, I think how much ammunition you need to keep on hand will depend greatly on how much you plan to shoot and whether or not you can get it at an acceptable price for you. Like TAM, if money were not the issue I think I would closing in on if not already to the 100k round count for at least three different calibers. My problem right now, though, is that I don't have enough time to even shoot what I have. I don't think I've purchased anything other than 12 and 20 gauge ammo in over 6 months and barely shot anything else in that same time.

That will be rectified this weekend. My gun club is collecting toys for the Marine's Toys-for-Tots and I'll be shooting 5-stand and Sporting Clays at the event. I'll also take my carbine and Glock and maybe to Colt GC. I'm sure I won't have time to shoot everything. I never do. However, the carbing will get shot first after I'm done with the shotgun. Hmmm, I think I need to get some 12ga. Off to wallyworld!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Rounds for AR?

#15

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am

I try to keep 5% of my net worth invested in physical gold and silver, and another 5% invested in guns and ammo. These are minimums. During times of potential unrest, the percentages go up.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”