Remington 870 DM???

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Post Reply

Topic author
JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Remington 870 DM???

#1

Post by JRG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 am

I've noticed that in the past two days there have been several You Tube videos reviewing the new Remington 870 DM. DM stands for detachable magazine. Anyways, it is an 870 that only uses the normal shotgun tube only for the pump action. All shells are fed through a detachable magazine that holds 6 rounds. The gun can also have one in the receiver for a total of 7 shots available. There is even a version of the TAC 14 ready to go also. I was kinda holding out for a Shockwave, but now I am thinking that an 870 or a TAC 14 with the detachable magazine system might be the way to go.

Has anyone else seen these videos yet?

Joe

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#2

Post by Scott B. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am

Saw the announcement. Watched a video. Box mag fed pump didn't move my needle at all.
LTC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#3

Post by Lynyrd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:43 pm

I may buy the predator model that comes in camo if I can find it. I really like the idea of quick reloading.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23896
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#4

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I saw an email a few weeks ago promoting that shotgun, so I looked at it on the Remington site. My impression is that it has pros and cons. Pros, reloads faster. Cons, you have to eject the magazine to top it off, unlike just slipping another shell into the tube. As I recall, capacity was about the same, so no real advantage there.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#5

Post by Lynyrd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:I saw an email a few weeks ago promoting that shotgun, so I looked at it on the Remington site. My impression is that it has pros and cons. Pros, reloads faster. Cons, you have to eject the magazine to top it off, unlike just slipping another shell into the tube. As I recall, capacity was about the same, so no real advantage there.
You make valid points. I guess the biggest advantage I see is rapidly changing loads, from say 00 buck, to slugs, to #4. They may not help in a tactical situation, but it would be desirable to me when out on my property. I never know what I'm going to encounter. Hogs, snakes, coyotes, etc. Would be a nice gun to keep on the UTV. Just can't find them yet.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23896
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Lynyrd wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I saw an email a few weeks ago promoting that shotgun, so I looked at it on the Remington site. My impression is that it has pros and cons. Pros, reloads faster. Cons, you have to eject the magazine to top it off, unlike just slipping another shell into the tube. As I recall, capacity was about the same, so no real advantage there.
You make valid points. I guess the biggest advantage I see is rapidly changing loads, from say 00 buck, to slugs, to #4. They may not help in a tactical situation, but it would be desirable to me when out on my property. I never know what I'm going to encounter. Hogs, snakes, coyotes, etc. Would be a nice gun to keep on the UTV. Just can't find them yet.
In addition to the buckshot that I keep in my shotgun’s 8 round tube, I also have a bandolier with 50 or 60 assorted rounds of buck and slugs......no snake shot, but I’m thinking tactical rather than outdoors stuff. If I had a property to walk, I’d probably swap some of those tactical loads out for snake shot, or bird shot...whatever. If Remington offered say a 10 round or 15 round mag, I would probably be a little more enthusiastic about having one. Then I could keep separate mags loaded with different kinds of shells, including a “big” mag for bad guys. But, while I agree that a full magazine reload is a lot faster, the flip side is that I can feed rounds from my bandolier into the tube, as I shoot them, so the mag tube never runs dry.

On the other hand, if I had a property to walk, I’d probably carry my wife’s 20 gauge over/under around, which is lighter than any of my other shotguns, and will shoot snake shot just as easily as it will birdshot or buckshot.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound pessimistic about it. It IS a cool gun, and if I were on the market for a new 12 gauge with both personal defense and hunting/animal control capability, the DM would certainly be in the hunt (so to speak) for me. But, in as much as I already own a couple of Over/Unders, a semiauto, and a pump gun, I’m just not seeing enough impetus (for myself) to get a DM. That said, I am all about removable box magazines, including on bolt action and lever action rifles wherever possible. Some day I’ll pick up a Browning BLR for exactly that reason.....I like removable box magazines, and I also like lever actions. The BLR combines both.

Hmmm.... Henry already offers a .410 lever action shotgun. If they’d just offer it in 12 gauge with a removable box mag..... :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#7

Post by jason812 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

This would be neat if it could use the normal mag tube as a backup or extra capacity. Load the tube, load the mage, when the mag is empty, it feeds from the tube. Other than that, it doesn't do much for me. Now if my SLP could be converted to a magazine, that might be a different story.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23896
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:12 pm

jason812 wrote:This would be neat if it could use the normal mag tube as a backup or extra capacity. Load the tube, load the mage, when the mag is empty, it feeds from the tube.
See, that was exactly my thought too.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Remington 870 DM???

#9

Post by Lynyrd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:06 pm

jason812 wrote:This would be neat if it could use the normal mag tube as a backup or extra capacity. Load the tube, load the mage, when the mag is empty, it feeds from the tube. Other than that, it doesn't do much for me. Now if my SLP could be converted to a magazine, that might be a different story.
The SLP is a fine gun! I like how you think. But I'm a poor man, and dollars don't come easy.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”