.300 BLK pistol

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

.300 BLK pistol

#1

Post by AndyC » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 am

10.5" Radical Firearms (Houston) upper, KAK Shockwave blade, PSA lower, Stag LPK. Some assembly is going to be required:

Image

The ultimate plan is to get a muzzle-device so I can suppress it.

Done - 26.5" :
Image


Compared to a 16" rifle:
Image
Last edited by AndyC on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#2

Post by mrvmax » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I’ve had mine for a while and it makes a great truck gun.

User avatar

bigtek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#3

Post by bigtek » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 pm

That looks nice. What do you think of this kit? http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-10.5 ... hbar-10fcr
Image


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#4

Post by jb2012 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?

Image

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#5

Post by Bitter Clinger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:54 pm

jb2012 wrote:Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?

Image

If you mean a vertical foregrip, then my understanding is that that would push the pistol into the AOW catagory :banghead:

You could add a handstop: https://www.magpul.com/products/xtm-hand-stop-kit
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

denwego
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#6

Post by denwego » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm

jb2012 wrote:Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?
If it's less than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip, it's an AOW.

If it's more than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip, it's a Title 1 firearm (non-NFA).

If it's more than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip and it's concealed on the person, the ATF says it's an AOW. They're been smacked down in court before over that sort of nonsense, and it's fundamentally the same "use defines reality" garbage they said about Sig Braces with SBRs, but it's still what they say.


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#7

Post by jb2012 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:12 pm

denwego wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
If it's less than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip, it's an AOW.

If it's more than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip, it's a Title 1 firearm (non-NFA).

If it's more than 26" overall length and it has a vertical handgrip and it's concealed on the person, the ATF says it's an AOW. They're been smacked down in court before over that sort of nonsense, and it's fundamentally the same "use defines reality" garbage they said about Sig Braces with SBRs, but it's still what they say.
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. I have no plans to conceal this thing, so that shouldn’t be an issue haha.

User avatar

Topic author
AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#8

Post by AndyC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 am

bigtek wrote:That looks nice. What do you think of this kit? http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-10.5 ... hbar-10fcr
I'd be able to give you a better idea after I've put some rounds through this one, but the build-quality of the Radical upper seems decent so far.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#9

Post by allisji » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 am

Bitter Clinger wrote:
jb2012 wrote:Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?

If you mean a vertical foregrip, then my understanding is that that would push the pistol into the AOW catagory :banghead:

You could add a handstop: https://www.magpul.com/products/xtm-hand-stop-kit
So if a vertical foregrip classifies it as an AOW, but a handstop does not, then what about an angled foregrip? What if they called it an "ergonomic handstop"?

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearm ... /m-lok-afg
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#10

Post by troglodyte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 pm

His and Hers

Anderson (FDE)/PSA(Blue) lower, Ground Zero Precision Ballistic Advantage 9" parts kit (Trenton, TX), KAK flashcan, Aero Precision M-lok hand guard, Shockwave brace, Trinty Force BUIS, Magpul MOE K2 grip (FDE), homemade quick adjust sling, Magpul FDE/German Blue Duracoat.

26.5"

These are our vehicle guns and fit in a Hazard 4 TakeDown bag nicely. I have a couple of bargain red dots that I'm going to co-witness. 20 round Magpul in the magwell and three 30 rounders in the middle outside pocket.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I was taking them for insurance records.

Image

As initially built with some clunky BUIS that were quickly discarded.
Image

Image
Image
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#11

Post by Bitter Clinger » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm

allisji wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
jb2012 wrote:Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?

If you mean a vertical foregrip, then my understanding is that that would push the pistol into the AOW catagory :banghead:

You could add a handstop: https://www.magpul.com/products/xtm-hand-stop-kit
So if a vertical foregrip classifies it as an AOW, but a handstop does not, then what about an angled foregrip? What if they called it an "ergonomic handstop"?

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearm ... /m-lok-afg
Well, IANAL, but it has been reported that the ATF's view is that the addition of an angled fore-grip, specifically the Magpul AFG, would not make a pistol an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and therefore does not need an AOW transfer/stamp:
https://johnpierceesq.com/does-the-atf- ... ore-grips/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

Topic author
AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#12

Post by AndyC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 pm

troglodyte wrote:His and Hers

Anderson (FDE)/PSA(Blue) lower, Ground Zero Precision Ballistic Advantage 9" parts kit (Trenton, TX), KAK flashcan, Aero Precision M-lok hand guard, Shockwave brace, Trinty Force BUIS, Magpul MOE K2 grip (FDE), homemade quick adjust sling, Magpul FDE/German Blue Duracoat.
Very nice rigs. My plans were to use the 20-rounder mag in the gun as soon as I can get one, but it's nice seeing the same mindset.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#13

Post by allisji » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:
allisji wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
jb2012 wrote:Very nice, similar to a build I just finished, except mine is chambered in 5.56. Still need an optic and flashlight, but this will be mostly used as a home defense weapon, and for some plinking.

I’m pretty sure if your oal is >26inches you can have a vertical grip, can anyone verify?

If you mean a vertical foregrip, then my understanding is that that would push the pistol into the AOW catagory :banghead:

You could add a handstop: https://www.magpul.com/products/xtm-hand-stop-kit
So if a vertical foregrip classifies it as an AOW, but a handstop does not, then what about an angled foregrip? What if they called it an "ergonomic handstop"?

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearm ... /m-lok-afg
Well, IANAL, but it has been reported that the ATF's view is that the addition of an angled fore-grip, specifically the Magpul AFG, would not make a pistol an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and therefore does not need an AOW transfer/stamp:
https://johnpierceesq.com/does-the-atf- ... ore-grips/
makes sense, because I think I've seen an AR Pistol set up with an angled foregrip now that I think about it, because I asked the guy if it was a pistol or an SBR and I'm pretty sure that he said that he didn't want to deal with any of the NFA stuff.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#14

Post by troglodyte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:20 pm

AndyC wrote:
troglodyte wrote:His and Hers

Anderson (FDE)/PSA(Blue) lower, Ground Zero Precision Ballistic Advantage 9" parts kit (Trenton, TX), KAK flashcan, Aero Precision M-lok hand guard, Shockwave brace, Trinty Force BUIS, Magpul MOE K2 grip (FDE), homemade quick adjust sling, Magpul FDE/German Blue Duracoat.
Very nice rigs. My plans were to use the 20-rounder mag in the gun as soon as I can get one, but it's nice seeing the same mindset.
I like the 20 round magazines. They keep the pistol a little more compact, fits the bag well, and still provides 20 rounds immediately. I figure if I have to get to the 30 rounders then things are not looking good and compactness isn't going to matter much.

What red dot are you running?

Is the 16" a 300 also?
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: .300 BLK pistol

#15

Post by Bitter Clinger » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:47 pm

troglodyte wrote:
AndyC wrote:
troglodyte wrote:His and Hers

Anderson (FDE)/PSA(Blue) lower, Ground Zero Precision Ballistic Advantage 9" parts kit (Trenton, TX), KAK flashcan, Aero Precision M-lok hand guard, Shockwave brace, Trinty Force BUIS, Magpul MOE K2 grip (FDE), homemade quick adjust sling, Magpul FDE/German Blue Duracoat.
Very nice rigs. My plans were to use the 20-rounder mag in the gun as soon as I can get one, but it's nice seeing the same mindset.
I like the 20 round magazines. They keep the pistol a little more compact, fits the bag well, and still provides 20 rounds immediately. I figure if I have to get to the 30 rounders then things are not looking good and compactness isn't going to matter much.

What red dot are you running?

Is the 16" a 300 also?
+1 for 20 round mags. Don't like the 30's for any kind of longer distance shooting as if trying to rest the gun it will rock on the longer mag. For close quarters I find the 20's easier to manuever with...just my $.02. Still like the 30's for my 5.56 full size carbines.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”