Does This AR Custom Build Look Okay?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Does This AR Custom Build Look Okay?

Post by jb2012 »

Also is it just me or is there a trend within the last few years of people putting these type of rifles together and asking WAY more than what it's worth?

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

Last edited by apostate on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

BBYC wrote:In America, if something is not forbidden by law, then it is allowed. For example, there is no law explicitly permitting me to wear a white cowboy hat, but there is no law against it either, so wearing a white cowboy hat is permitted by default. For now.
I guess I just didn't understand slang for America. After my own research the sale of home made firearms has many confusing laws including whether the firearm was made for personal use or was it made for future sale or gift. The serial number question is also confusing but apparently ATF does not require one as far as I can tell. State law may in some states anyhow.

Atwood's ad today lists the M&P15 @ $499.99. I think I would go with a reliable manufacturer personally.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jb2012 wrote:Also is it just me or is there a trend within the last few years of people putting these type of rifles together and asking WAY more than what it's worth?
I don't think it's specific to people who have assembled AR-15's. I see it with AR-15's in general. The fact is that the market price for all AR-15's has fallen in the last 3-5 years. For "basic" AR-15's the decrease has been pretty significant. I think you are seeing the "over pricing" by folks who paid $X a few years ago and who are ignoring the current market price for these guns.

Personally, when I am buying or selling, the first place I look is at online prices and I then consider the firearm condition when setting a price as a percentage of current new retail. This applies for all guns, not just AR's.

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

You can go to PSA and get a complete upper with BCG and charging handle and a complete lower for $380, buy 10 magazines for $80, and get this red dot sight for $50, and be out the exact same cost after tax
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Pass

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
dino9832
Posts in topic: 23

Post by dino9832 »

You guys are killing me! :banghead:
I was pretty stoked about having a $500 AR for the weekend. But the fit and finish is questionable. Plus, it is made of low end parts.
My wife would thank you!..lol.

It may be an okay AR. And the polymer might work out well. There's just so many chances taken though. I'd rather not pay sales tax on something new. So my options are to build my own or buy used.

I'm sitting here looking at $500. But I've got no AR!
Still, the wife doesn't have a clue that I have it. :anamatedbanana

Hey, I appreciate all the (dream crushing) advice. But good advice!
Any suggestions on where to go at this point?
Thanks.

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

dino9832 wrote:Hey, I appreciate all the (dream crushing) advice. But good advice!
Thanks.
Safe bet: S&W Sport for $500 + FFL transfer fee.

My choice: see post by allisji above.

P.S. don't forget to budget for ammo

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

dino9832 wrote:You guys are killing me! :banghead:
I was pretty stoked about having a $500 AR for the weekend. But the fit and finish is questionable. Plus, it is made of low end parts.
My wife would thank you!..lol.

It may be an okay AR. And the polymer might work out well. There's just so many chances taken though. I'd rather not pay sales tax on something new. So my options are to build my own or buy used.

I'm sitting here looking at $500. But I've got no AR!
Still, the wife doesn't have a clue that I have it. :anamatedbanana

Hey, I appreciate all the (dream crushing) advice. But good advice!
Thanks.
Check your local gun stores for new/used/consignment, similarly priced AR's. Show them the cash (assuming you have $500 cash) and ask to make a deal. Your cash is worth 2-4% to them instead of you using a credit card they have to pay fees on.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

You have GOT to be kidding!
Another ad just went up with (you guessed it) a Tennessee Arms lower! It's $500 asking price.

I think an S&W Sport is looking better and better. Especially for someone like me who's not very educated on home-builds.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’d go Ruger or S&W as well for that price. That being said, I have a PSA rifle that was my first AR which I bought about five years ago and it’s been flawless. My dad has a couple PSA rifles and they have been flawless as well. I wouldn’t trust a polymer upper and lower though.

Topic author
dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

cmgee67 wrote:I’d go Ruger or S&W as well for that price. That being said, I have a PSA rifle that was my first AR which I bought about five years ago and it’s been flawless. My dad has a couple PSA rifles and they have been flawless as well. I wouldn’t trust a polymer upper and lower though.
PSA seems to have some good parts. I'm fine with PSA. Like I'm some expert..lol. The general consensus seems to be that polymer isn't good for uppers or lowers on ARs. I have to admit, I just don't have a good feel for the polymers after all I've read on the internet.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

dino9832 wrote:You have GOT to be kidding!
Another ad just went up with (you guessed it) a Tennessee Arms lower! It's $500 asking price.

I think an S&W Sport is looking better and better. Especially for someone like me who's not very educated on home-builds.
I've been extremely happy with my M&P Sport II, which is my only AR so far. And I paid $600 for it about 18 months ago.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:For that price I'd rather buy an S&W or a Ruger. They haven't been perfect but I'd trust either of those over PSA's spotty reputation. Of course that doesn't include an optic but Ruger AR-556s are running pretty cheap these days.
:iagree:
S&W M&P 15 Sport II $470 at Grabagun.com
https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m ... mm-16.html

Ruger AR-556 $499 at Grabagun.com
https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black ... -30rd.html
And Cabela’s has a DPMS Oracle for $499: http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=0
Just a basic carbine. Any one of the above is a good entry level carbine for the same price as the rifle you’re looking at, and they have a milspec lower rather than a polymer lower receiver.

Here’s the Ruger:

And here’s the S&W:
Although, of those three, I’d go for the Ruger for the simple reason that it includes front and rear iron sights. It’s worth noting that both the Ruger and S&W have enlarged trigger guards to accommodate gloved fingers.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

Okay, so a decent AR can be had for $500.
How much more "joy" could be had for $700 total? It's kind of like bicycles.
There's a point of diminishing returns at a certain cost point I'm sure.

Again, thanks for all the helpful advice! This has been a really good community.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”