Recommendations for .308 Winchester Ammo in 165-168 grain range

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommendations for .308 Winchester Ammo in 165-168 grain range

Post by Pawpaw »

I need to try that Hornady 150 SST load with my LE901. It has a 1:12 16" barrel.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Crash wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Crash wrote:
flowrie wrote:I also suggest the Premium Federal 168gr, Match, with Sierra HPBT.
I just purchased from SG Ammo, $17.00 per box, vs. about $28.00 per box at Cabelas.
There are also lots of other choices out there, but this is a good one to start with.
flowrie,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I doubt that I will do much, if any target-shooting (except for sighting-in). Mostly Hill Country Whitetails and maybe feral hogs.

Crash
I shoot Federal Premium Vital- Shok 165gr Vital•Shok® Sierra® GameKing® Boat-Tail SP in two different rifles; Federal P308C. A Model 88 Winchester and a Model 742 Remington. I use the same ammo in my .270 - ie 150 gr Vital•Shok® Sierra® GameKing® Boat-Tail SP. I always buy several boxes of the same lot number. I have tried several other brands of ammo for my .308's and my .270 and the most consistent I have found is the Federal Premium. I always check the zero on my rifles prior to hunting season and even if I have had to buy a new lot number they are still zeroed or extremely close, by that I mean no real adjustment necessary for hunting purposes. The Sierra Game King SP BT is a very good bullet.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammuniti ... l-sp/p308c
puma guy,

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll give it a try.

Crash
I hope they work out in your rifle. I;ve hunted in the Hill Country for the past and used Federal ammo. Almost all my deer drop when shot, a couple have run maybe 15 yards and I had one run about 75 yard and jumped a fence. That deer left a foot wide trail of blood from where I hit him to the spot I found him. The bullet did it's job; he had no heart or lungs when I dressed him out. I was simply amazed he could go that far.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:
Crash wrote:How do you think the Hornady 150 grain SST will shoot in my rifle with its 1 in 10 twist? Savage tests it with 168 grain bullets.
My Savage 10 (1:10 twist) hated it - shotgun-patterns at 100 yards, I guess due to the short bearing-length. Went to 168 and 175 SMKs and it shot very well, so I'd suggest finding the 165 SST and trying that.
There’s also a 180 grain SST that would do well in a 1:10 barrel.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I have a Remington 700 with the same twist rate. I shot some 175 ELD-x this past deer season. The doe I took had her heart and lungs puréed by that round.
NRA lifetime member

ViperX

Post by ViperX »

I"ve had good luck in .308 barrels with 1 in 10 inch twist rates with both the Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tip bullets and the Winchester 168 grain Ballistic Silver Tip bullets. :cool:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”