Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

Post by ml1209 »

puma guy wrote:
ml1209 wrote:I didn't know Henry made rifles in 45-70. Interesting.
What became of the JM Marlin rifle in your OP? Henry's are fine firearms, but I like side loading gates on lever guns rather than having to unlock and extend the inner mag tube, then tilt the rifle upward to drop in shells into the loading port and push the inner tube back and relock it. Just my preference.

I put it on layaway. I have a thing for lever-actions.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

I’ve got an 1895 SBL (bought new in the last couple years) and I’ve had no problems with it reliability wise. The only issue is that high recoil causes my index finger to slide off the trigger and the trigger has an edge to it and could cause a cut. It’s never happened but it has left a scratch across my finger so I grip tightly when shooting and stay cognizant of my hand placement. A firearm that can hurt the shooter when firing isn’t for everyone but there’s just something about shooting a 550 grain hard cast bullet (I use one made by JB Young).
http://www.crater4570.com

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I "bought" Marlin lever action 45-70 from a coworker, he needed 300 dollars and instead of selling this firearm at a loss for a personal emergency. I bought it. With the understanding that he could buy it back for the same 300 dollars as long as I had it. I have shot it quite a few times and it has more recoil than anything that I have. This took place over 20 years ago, something tells me that he is not going to "buy" it back, but the deal I made with him still stands. I did mention this to him a few years ago, knowing he had a son, but he said that his son could not legally own a firearm and that was the reason he needed the funds back then. I left the what and why's alone.
I have "bought" a few firearms like this, I usually put a 3 year limit on the buy back offer.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ml1209 wrote:
puma guy wrote:
What became of the JM Marlin rifle in your OP? Henry's are fine firearms, but I like side loading gates on lever guns rather than having to unlock and extend the inner mag tube, then tilt the rifle upward to drop in shells into the loading port and push the inner tube back and relock it. Just my preference.
How is the loading gate for stiffness? Is it anything like I described in my previous reply?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ml1209 wrote:
puma guy wrote:

It's an illness that Marlin fans refer to as "Marlinitis".
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Yes, as a general thing, I’d agree. That’s why I initially bought a Marlin .30-30 instead of a Henry a year or two past. But it was so poorly assembled from the factory that I had to strip it and reassemble it to get it right, and the loading gate spring is SO stiff that it made it very difficult to load through the side gate. At the range, I just ended up loading single rounds through the ejection port. I’m told that the solution is to break the gun down and remove the loading gate, and take a stone to it - removing enough metal at the bend of the spring to make it more pliable. (A) I have no idea how much metal removed would be too much; and (B) wouldn’t that make the spring more likely to break under use? Why couldn’t Marlin simply put in a loading gate with a lighter spring, right from the factory? Given how stiff that gate was, I don’t think I could load that Marlin rifle any faster through the gate than I could load a Henry through the end of its magazine tube. It didn’t help that my hands are more arthritic than they used to be.

As a practical matter, and assuming that the side loading gate worked like butter, the only advantage I can see to it in application is the be able to more safely top off the magazine after having reloaded and then chambered a round. Since I’m not really thinking of the lever action in a tactical/something arises sense (although it could be used for that), I don’t know how valuable that ability to top off the magazine safely really is. I have AR15s in several different configurations for that purpose, and I can likely shoot a 30 round mag dry, reload, and empty a second 30 round mag in the time it would take me to feed another 6 rounds into that stiff-necked Marlin’s magazine.

That said, my particular Marlin is a Remlin and it came with warts. For all I know, the loading gate on a pre-Remlin .45-70 might be nice and easy to push a round through. I would surely like to see the rifle.

I recall the extensive post and photographs you did on your 336BL. I guess I wasn't paying attention when you mentioned the difficult loading due to the heavy gate spring. I have only encountered one Marlin that was difficult to load. A Model 1894 .357 probably at least 20 years old (I'd have to check the S/N to be sure) and made at the North Haven, Connecticut Marlin factory. It was given to me by a friend who moved to Ecuador and like twomillenium's sales I told him it would be returned should he ever move back to the US, though he said that wouldn't happen. Never say never as they say. He returned last year for deer season and said if they can sell their home they will be returning permanently due to deterioration of the political picture down there. But I digress. He uses the rifle as a backup to shoot any vermin that show up and he is not concerned about the stiff loading gate so I am leaving it alone. I am assuming he will be returning permanently, but If I were to keep it I would try one of these after market gates with reduced spring weight and slicker feed. Video also attached.
http://www.rangerpointstore.com/marlin- ... ding-gate/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M76pNO ... -07pu/view

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: I recall the extensive post and photographs you did on your 336BL. I guess I wasn't paying attention when you mentioned the difficult loading due to the heavy gate spring. I have only encountered one Marlin that was difficult to load. A Model 1894 .357 probably at least 20 years old (I'd have to check the S/N to be sure) and made at the North Haven, Connecticut Marlin factory. It was given to me by a friend who moved to Ecuador and like twomillenium's sales I told him it would be returned should he ever move back to the US, though he said that wouldn't happen. Never say never as they say. He returned last year for deer season and said if they can sell their home they will be returning permanently due to deterioration of the political picture down there. But I digress. He uses the rifle as a backup to shoot any vermin that show up and he is not concerned about the stiff loading gate so I am leaving it alone. I am assuming he will be returning permanently, but If I were to keep it I would try one of these after market gates with reduced spring weight and slicker feed. Video also attached.

Puma guy, thank you! I’m ordering one of those for myself. That’s exactly what I needed.....and I’m glad to know from watching the video that I’m not the only one with that complaint.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote: I recall the extensive post and photographs you did on your 336BL. I guess I wasn't paying attention when you mentioned the difficult loading due to the heavy gate spring. I have only encountered one Marlin that was difficult to load. A Model 1894 .357 probably at least 20 years old (I'd have to check the S/N to be sure) and made at the North Haven, Connecticut Marlin factory. It was given to me by a friend who moved to Ecuador and like twomillenium's sales I told him it would be returned should he ever move back to the US, though he said that wouldn't happen. Never say never as they say. He returned last year for deer season and said if they can sell their home they will be returning permanently due to deterioration of the political picture down there. But I digress. He uses the rifle as a backup to shoot any vermin that show up and he is not concerned about the stiff loading gate so I am leaving it alone. I am assuming he will be returning permanently, but If I were to keep it I would try one of these after market gates with reduced spring weight and slicker feed. Video also attached.

Puma guy, thank you! I’m ordering one of those for myself. That’s exactly what I needed.....and I’m glad to know from watching the video that I’m not the only one with that complaint.
Glad it helped out. I contacted them about 1894 and 1895 Marlins and they said they will have a version for those guns in a month or two. You are not alone. They said response and orders have been overwhelming. I recognized the man in the video as fellow member on the Marlin Owners forum.

asahi1234

Post by asahi1234 »

I purchased a Henry 45-70 the action is the smoothist action I have ever or seen. The quality is outstanding. I also purchased a Henry Yellow Boy in 17HMR. The 45-70 & 17HMR I couldn't be found either at any dealer online or in a store. All of the dealers didn't have any and didn't know when they would get any. Even Cabela's told me the same thing. I am not one to give up easily. So I Contacted Henry President. He called me the next morning and wanted to know which dealer I wanted them to sent to. Henry Called Cabela's and Henry called be back within 30 minutes and said both Henry's will be there by the end of the week. And recieved a call from Cabela's 4 days later and both of my guns were there for me to pickup. Now that's customer service. These will not be the only ones I will be from Henry. If you haven't handle a Henry do so. I have had other lever action but they didn't even come close to the fit finish and quality of Henry.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

asahi1234 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 am I purchased a Henry 45-70 the action is the smoothist action I have ever or seen. The quality is outstanding. I also purchased a Henry Yellow Boy in 17HMR. The 45-70 & 17HMR I couldn't be found either at any dealer online or in a store. All of the dealers didn't have any and didn't know when they would get any. Even Cabela's told me the same thing. I am not one to give up easily. So I Contacted Henry President. He called me the next morning and wanted to know which dealer I wanted them to sent to. Henry Called Cabela's and Henry called be back within 30 minutes and said both Henry's will be there by the end of the week. And recieved a call from Cabela's 4 days later and both of my guns were there for me to pickup. Now that's customer service. These will not be the only ones I will be from Henry. If you haven't handle a Henry do so. I have had other lever action but they didn't even come close to the fit finish and quality of Henry.

Sounds very similar to my dealings with Henry. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=82946

They are the best!! I haven't bought anything else from them yet, but I won't even consider another brand of lever action.

Post pics when you get the chance.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:03 pm
asahi1234 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:16 am I purchased a Henry 45-70 the action is the smoothist action I have ever or seen. The quality is outstanding. I also purchased a Henry Yellow Boy in 17HMR. The 45-70 & 17HMR I couldn't be found either at any dealer online or in a store. All of the dealers didn't have any and didn't know when they would get any. Even Cabela's told me the same thing. I am not one to give up easily. So I Contacted Henry President. He called me the next morning and wanted to know which dealer I wanted them to sent to. Henry Called Cabela's and Henry called be back within 30 minutes and said both Henry's will be there by the end of the week. And recieved a call from Cabela's 4 days later and both of my guns were there for me to pickup. Now that's customer service. These will not be the only ones I will be from Henry. If you haven't handle a Henry do so. I have had other lever action but they didn't even come close to the fit finish and quality of Henry.

Sounds very similar to my dealings with Henry. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=82946

They are the best!! I haven't bought anything else from them yet, but I won't even consider another brand of lever action.

Post pics when you get the chance.
Enjoy your new lever guns. Photos are always nice and shooting results are a plus! Your post jogged my memory, so I'll steer it back to Marlin lever guns. LOL I got a notification that Ranger Point is now offering their easy loading gates for Marlin 1894 and 1895 rifles.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Grabagun sent out an email yesterday for a Marlin 1895 Guide gun in 45-70 listed for $519. Walnut stock, 18.5 inch barrel, 4 rds.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”