Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

Post by ml1209 »

Is this something you’d want? It’s one of the older JM guns.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

Post by txhighlander »

I had one back in the day, it got sold to buy something different but I have thought about getting another one. Recoil was a bit lively with the hopped up loads but nothing that couldn’t be handled unless one was recoil sensitive.
Truth against the world

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

If I had the money presently, I'd be very interested. When NRA convention was in Houston, I ran across one company -- I forget their name -- that turned these into very handy takedown guns and greatly improved the action. The quality of work on the example they had on hand was stunning and the price they had on it was more than I could spend at the time, but still quite attractive for the package offered.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

strogg

Post by strogg »

I'd love myself a 45-70 lever action. It's a rifle that will nicely fill a niche in my collection. I'd personally get the longer barrel version, though.

thelurker

Post by thelurker »

Middle Age Russ wrote:If I had the money presently, I'd be very interested. When NRA convention was in Houston, I ran across one company -- I forget their name -- that turned these into very handy takedown guns and greatly improved the action. The quality of work on the example they had on hand was stunning and the price they had on it was more than I could spend at the time, but still quite attractive for the package offered.
Is this them?

https://www.wildwestguns.com/
TSRA Life Member/NRA Endowment Member/Veteran

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Perhaps, but I don't think that is the company. At least, they don't seem to show an 1895 takedown on their site.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ml1209 wrote:Is this something you’d want? It’s one of the older JM guns.
If it is pre-Remlin, I might be interested at the right price. I plan on buying a .45-70 some time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

thelurker wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:If I had the money presently, I'd be very interested. When NRA convention was in Houston, I ran across one company -- I forget their name -- that turned these into very handy takedown guns and greatly improved the action. The quality of work on the example they had on hand was stunning and the price they had on it was more than I could spend at the time, but still quite attractive for the package offered.
Is this them?

https://www.rangerpointprecision.com

These are the guys I know and they’re based in Houston. They do great work.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ml1209 wrote:Is this something you’d want? It’s one of the older JM guns.
If it is pre-Remlin, I might be interested at the right price. I plan on buying a .45-70 some time.
TAM,
If the OP means it has a JM proof mark it's most likely a Marlin.
Wish I had the funds. I'm watching a 1972 336 in .35 Remington right now that has a decent price at present, but it's an auction so who knows what it will sell for. Can't fit it in the budget either. Good luck!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

mupepe wrote:
thelurker wrote:
Is this them?

https://www.rangerpointprecision.com

These are the guys I know and they’re based in Houston. They do great work.
https://grizzlycustom.com/product/the-k ... n-package/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think if I wanted a 45-70 I'd probably go with a Henry and a brass receiver with the 22" barrel and big loop lever.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/45-70-lever-action/

But then I like Henry and have a few already.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

C-dub wrote:I think if I wanted a 45-70 I'd probably go with a Henry and a brass receiver with the 22" barrel and big loop lever.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/45-70-lever-action/

But then I like Henry and have a few already.
This one for me: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/color-c ... d-edition/. A 22” ocatagonal barrel also. The thing is, I really prefer the 18.5” barrels of the Marlin Guide Guns for a lever action rifle. My Marlin .30-30 has an 18” barrel, and it seems about the perfect length for the platform.
I’d surely like to afford a $8,500 Grizzly Custom, but I’m going to have one of those Henry’s in my safe some time in the next year.

But if there were a pre-Remlin Marlin .45-70, I’d be interested.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ml1209 »

I didn't know Henry made rifles in 45-70. Interesting.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ml1209 wrote:I didn't know Henry made rifles in 45-70. Interesting.
What became of the JM Marlin rifle in your OP? Henry's are fine firearms, but I like side loading gates on lever guns rather than having to unlock and extend the inner mag tube, then tilt the rifle upward to drop in shells into the loading port and push the inner tube back and relock it. Just my preference.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:
ml1209 wrote:I didn't know Henry made rifles in 45-70. Interesting.
What became of the JM Marlin rifle in your OP? Henry's are fine firearms, but I like side loading gates on lever guns rather than having to unlock and extend the inner mag tube, then tilt the rifle upward to drop in shells into the loading port and push the inner tube back and relock it. Just my preference.
Yes, as a general thing, I’d agree. That’s why I initially bought a Marlin .30-30 instead of a Henry a year or two past. But it was so poorly assembled from the factory that I had to strip it and reassemble it to get it right, and the loading gate spring is SO stiff that it made it very difficult to load through the side gate. At the range, I just ended up loading single rounds through the ejection port. I’m told that the solution is to break the gun down and remove the loading gate, and take a stone to it - removing enough metal at the bend of the spring to make it more pliable. (A) I have no idea how much metal removed would be too much; and (B) wouldn’t that make the spring more likely to break under use? Why couldn’t Marlin simply put in a loading gate with a lighter spring, right from the factory? Given how stiff that gate was, I don’t think I could load that Marlin rifle any faster through the gate than I could load a Henry through the end of its magazine tube. It didn’t help that my hands are more arthritic than they used to be.

As a practical matter, and assuming that the side loading gate worked like butter, the only advantage I can see to it in application is the be able to more safely top off the magazine after having reloaded and then chambered a round. Since I’m not really thinking of the lever action in a tactical/something arises sense (although it could be used for that), I don’t know how valuable that ability to top off the magazine safely really is. I have AR15s in several different configurations for that purpose, and I can likely shoot a 30 round mag dry, reload, and empty a second 30 round mag in the time it would take me to feed another 6 rounds into that stiff-necked Marlin’s magazine.

That said, my particular Marlin is a Remlin and it came with warts. For all I know, the loading gate on a pre-Remlin .45-70 might be nice and easy to push a round through. I would surely like to see the rifle.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”