AR options for the Lefty?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: AR options for the Lefty?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm Went and visited my buddies ranch this am and he confirmed what you guys are saying. His 308 wasn't there but we did shoot the bolt guns and the kids got to shoot 22's. A super hot day but the morning was nice- we caught about 20 fish before we shot. :cheers2:

I will probably hit you guys up for some specific advice when I start to narrow the specifics down on this next purchase.

Thanks!
Great! You’re going to love it. The cool thing is that the platform is so modular that you can change it’s configuration pretty easily, for not too much money. You can even get multiple caliber barreled uppers to mate to your lower. For instance, I have one lower that services a 16” 5.56 carbine upper, and a 10.5” .300 blackout SBR upper. I could add other caliber uppers, so long as the cartridge fits in a 5.56 sized magazine. For instance, .458 SOCOM, or .450 Bushmaster, or .500 Beowulf, or 6.8 SPC.....etc., etc. With a .308 AR, you can get uppers for .243, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

Just one other point - you will have difficulty selling a LH rifle if you decide to.

I'm a lefty and have never fired a LH rifle (22s, M-1s, M-16s) and never bothered me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 7

Post by flechero »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am Just one other point - you will have difficulty selling a LH rifle if you decide to.
I actually like that point :biggrinjester: Keeps me from making a mistake! :lol:

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

I'm with oohrah, Plus I've been shooting righty's so long, I don't know if I could figure out how to shoot a left handed anything. Heck.. I have a set of left handed golf clubs in my attic that I can't give away... Which if your in the Plano / Frisco area and need a set. Let me know... :tiphat:

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 7

Post by flechero »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 am I'm with oohrah, Plus I've been shooting righty's so long, I don't know if I could figure out how to shoot a left handed anything. Heck.. I have a set of left handed golf clubs in my attic that I can't give away... Which if your in the Plano / Frisco area and need a set. Let me know... :tiphat:
I hear ya- I play golf righty!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

flechero wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:49 am
Tex1961 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 am I'm with oohrah, Plus I've been shooting righty's so long, I don't know if I could figure out how to shoot a left handed anything. Heck.. I have a set of left handed golf clubs in my attic that I can't give away... Which if your in the Plano / Frisco area and need a set. Let me know... :tiphat:
I hear ya- I play golf righty!
Kind of funny really... I can run a calculator, telephone key pad, and maybe a few power tools right handed, other than that...

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

flechero wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am
oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am Just one other point - you will have difficulty selling a LH rifle if you decide to.
I actually like that point :biggrinjester: Keeps me from making a mistake! :lol:
What? Sell an AR? Who would do that? :biggrinjester:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

I thought the standard charging handle was lefty. I got an ambi charging handle so I could run it right handed.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

If you still haven't made a choice, Aero Precision has these ambidextrous lowers:
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-ambid ... lower.html
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-ambid ... r-fde.html

It has a pre-milled slot for an ambidextrous bolt catch, which is really difficult for the AR platform.

Now I know you said you wanted 308, but if you went AR15, here's an option.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”