USAF pilots' ejection seats to have M4 variant & 120 rounds.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: USAF pilots' ejection seats to have M4 variant & 120 rounds.

Post by Pawpaw »

jb2012 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm I really don’t see that much of an advantage over splitting the upper and lower? What are you gaining 4 inches? In all reality you don’t gain or lose any length just splits more evenly.
In this particular application, size is everything. That extra 4 inches would probably make it a no-go.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

Y’all flyboys had all the neat things: life rafts, parachutes, ejection seats, etc.

The only survival kit we had on our M60A3 was an escape hatch, our .45s, and our M3 Grease Guns.

I was glad when we got upgraded to the M1s. Less need for the escape hatch, so we had none.

Thank God for the air support crews - ‘specially the Warthogs.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

n5wd,

Pretty sure the Aussies were flying a variant of the Canberra that the USAF called the B-57, not the B-58 Hustler (what a beautiful airplane, but had a very short service life, but was only used by the USAF). USAF also used B-57s in Viet Nam with low light TV and IR for the back seater to acquire targets and bomb at night. The B-58s were supersonic bombers for nuke strike. AFAIK, the B-58's never deployed to Viet Nam and were retired in the early 70s and replaced in SAC with the FB-111. When stationed in Blytheville, AR on B-52s, flew with a guy who had bee a bomb/nav on B-58s. Also, had a couple of acquaintances that flew the EB-57 electronic jamming variant of the B-57 into the late 70s. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jb2012 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm I really don’t see that much of an advantage over splitting the upper and lower? What are you gaining 4 inches? In all reality you don’t gain or lose any length just splits more evenly.
I don't understand. The length of the kit is has the dimensions of 16 x 14 x 3.5 inches.” So I assume that the length is somewhat less than 16", the length of an M4 according to Wikipedia is 29.75 inches with the stock retracted. Thats about 13" shorter by my reckoning. A big difference when storing behind a seat.
Last edited by Liberty on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

This would be agreat use for the m17.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

MaduroBU wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 pm This would be agreat use for the m17.
IMHO, an M17 pistol with a mag or two would be quite inferior for self-protection
until pilot extraction, compared to the rifle with 120 rounds.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Liberty wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am
I don't understand. The length of the kit is has the dimensions of 16 x 14 x 3.5 inches.” So I assume that the length is somewhat less than 16", the length of an M4 according to Wikipedia is 29.75 inches with the stock retracted. Thats about 13" shorter by my reckoning. A big difference when storing behind a seat.
I’m saying if you separate the upper from the lower. Use what you already have, and have less points of failure. I can’t imagine that it actually will hold a very good zero removing the barrel. Maybe enough for man sized targets at close range I guess.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm
MaduroBU wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 pm This would be agreat use for the m17.
IMHO, an M17 pistol with a mag or two would be quite inferior for self-protection
until pilot extraction, compared to the rifle with 120 rounds.

SIA
I meant the M17S rifle.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

What I am wondering about, which I don't think has been discussed, is this:
when the ejection happens, doesn't the pilot and his parachute detach from the
seat at some point?

If so, the ejection seat and the pilot could end up landing quite far from one another.
If the rifle was still attached to the seat itself, the pilot would be unable to access it.

Would the rifle somehow be attached to the pilot, as in a dangling cargo bag on a long tether rope?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:31 pm What I am wondering about, which I don't think has been discussed, is this:
when the ejection happens, doesn't the pilot and his parachute detach from the
seat at some point?

If so, the ejection seat and the pilot could end up landing quite far from one another.
If the rifle was still attached to the seat itself, the pilot would be unable to access it.

Would the rifle somehow be attached to the pilot, as in a dangling cargo bag on a long tether rope?

SIA
Rhino1 gave us the most likely answer: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=92964#p1210490
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Since there seems to be some interest, I'll expand on Rhino1's post. I flew A-6 Intruders. Like the F-4 and others, we wore a full body torso harness, over the shoulders and around the crotch. (You had to make sure the family jewels were postioned properly :lol: ).

The two Koch fittings on the shoulders connected to the parachute risers, the small fittings at the waist were connected to the seat pan. Your oxygen mask plugged into the seat pan. When you ejected, and the seat fell away, you were still connected to the seat pan (which contained emergency O2) and the parachute of course.

As Rhino1 said, you had the option of deploying the seat pan, which would drop the life raft and automatically inflate it. THe emergency beacon was also activated (which you could disable if you landed in enemy territory). All of your emergency gear was either in your life vest pockets or the seat pan.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

F14Scott

Post by F14Scott »

Tomcat A models: same same.

When over the box, my squadron was issued 1911s and two magazines. A rifle would certainly give a hiding airman a better chance against a squad looking for him, but I'd rather have it be a suppressed blackout model. Firing 120 rounds from a short-barreled .223 would certainly bring the cavalry... their cavalry.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”