First AR, Colt M4 Trooper vs Sig M400 Elite

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Maxwell
Posts in topic: 3

First AR, Colt M4 Trooper vs Sig M400 Elite

Post by Maxwell »

I'm looking for my first AR, and I don't want to start with an entry level rifle as I may not get to buy another anytime soon. I want something accurate, well built, and easily upgraded as desired. I've narrowed it down to either the Colt LE6920 Trooper or the Sig M400 Elite. Both are great rifles, both are 1:7 twist, both are close to what I'd like in furniture, and both are close enough to the same pricing it's a toss up. Advantage to the Sig as it is available with a Red Dot for the same price range as the Colt without, but the optics can always be added so that's not a deciding factor.

I don't really want to go above the pricing on these but I have very limited experience with AR's and would like some opinions, please.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First AR, Colt M4 Trooper vs Sig M400 Elite

Post by cmgee67 »

I’d prob go with the Colt. Lots of LE buddies swear by them. Contrary to what people say mil spec isn’t always mil spec. Although any M&P 15, Ruger 5.56, or Palmetto state armory will serve you just fine.....

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I’m bias towards the Colt. I have a similar Colt, but mine still has that triangle front sight.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I'm also biased towards the Colt, but comparing these two online it appears the Sig Elite comes with a nicer trigger, stock, & pistol grip (there's nothing wrong with the standard parts on the Colt, these are just nicer). The major glitch I personally would have with the Sig is the description says "lightweight barrel"; I always gravitate to a heavy barrel in a rifle, especially an AR & if you plan to eventually take a class that has a high round count. The photo of the Colt Trooper looks like it comes with a heavy barrel.

One of the nice things about ARs is you can customize them as you see fit, but the stock, pistol grip, & trigger group is easier to do than the barrel.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Pros: Both great rifles. The Colt will probably hold it's value better.

The Colt comes w/ a 13" handguard and free floated barrel.

The Sig M400 has a 15" handguard and free floated barrel. It also has a spring loaded detent under the rear lug to keep the upper/lower fit tight.

Cons: Colt has a M4 style buttstock.

The retail M400 does not come with any flip-up sights (the first responder variant called the PRO comes w/ steel flip-up sights, a QD sling, and QD rail piece).

Looks like Colt ships without sights too.

Decision? Get the one that makes you happy!
Last edited by Scott B. on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Scott B. wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:58 pm Cons: The Colt has an A2 front sight post.
Does it really? I’m not familiar with the Trooper, but when I looked it up earlier the image I saw did not have one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:07 pm
Scott B. wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:58 pm Cons: The Colt has an A2 front sight post.
Does it really? I’m not familiar with the Trooper, but when I looked it up earlier the image I saw did not have one.
You are correct. The Trooper has a 13" MLOK rail. I'll edit my post.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Thanks SRO! That's the type of info I'm looking for on both rifles.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

As a relatively "new" AR owner (I've had one for about 5yrs, but beyond an optic/charging handle, didn't really tinker), but in the last 3 months have built 2 different AR pistol configurations from different lower packages paired with upper packages vs buying a whole rifle/pistol.

If you feel like you'll tinker with adding/changing things, you are probably better off buying something piece by piece, else you'll end up with a box of parts you've pulled off because you've changed (like me).

If you know what you want it to "look" like (Magpul furniture), but want a solid rifle, something like this is an easy way in & have less "spare parts in a box" syndrome:
https://gun.deals/product/aero-precisio ... ifle-55900

Then just buy the stuff you want to add to it. It's easy advice to give, but it's one of those things that won't sink in until much later.

For example, this was my 1st rifle and I've changed a lot of the exterior:

Changed the optic/charging handle/added anti rotation pins:

Changed the optic AGAIN & all of the furniture (on top) & I've added an 11.5" Palmetto upper to a "Poverty Pony" (Anderson Manufacturing) lower for this pistol:
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Topic author
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I know, like the holster drawer full of "learning opportunities." They both have most of the furniture I'd be good with, and the SIG even has a decent Red Dot to start with.

Now to figure out how to pay for it!

Donations will be happily accepted. :mrgreen:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח