Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

User avatar

Topic author
cheezit
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#1

Post by cheezit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Looking for suggestions on a hd shotgun short barrel youth in 410. I know it's not the most ideal choice but mom is a tiny person and dad is in a wheelchair and almost completely unable to defend himself do to advanced stages of MS.
My current suggestion for them is a Mossberg hs410 with winchester pdx.
But I would like to give them more options if better ones exist. Trying to keep the price sub $500.
As always thank you in advance


Overthehill
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#2

Post by Overthehill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Just bought my sister in law, who is quite petite, a stoeger coach gun in 410. Double triggers around $350.00. Had to get a new spring to make it open easier and do a little sanding and oiling to moving parts but functions easy and smooth for her now.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 6072
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#3

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 pm

I think .410 is an excellent choice for them.

Paul Harrell thinks so too:



Have you considered the Mossberg Shockwave in .410? With a shorter barrel and no buttstock, it should be lighter and easier for them to handle, especially in a wheel chair.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#4

Post by WTR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Rem 1100 or Mosberg 500 tactical. Soft shooters

User avatar

Topic author
cheezit
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#5

Post by cheezit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 pm

WTR wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm
Rem 1100 or Mosberg 500 tactical. Soft shooters
The rem 1100 looks to be double budget but thank you


Greybeard
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2311
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: Denton County
Contact:

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#6

Post by Greybeard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm

"with winchester pdx"

You might want to think more about that. Unless over penetration is a big concern. After testing various "gimmick loads" over the years, the best I found in .410 is the Federal 4-pellet 00, which held good groups even out of a Judge. And .410 slugs have numbers right up there with the big boy revolvers.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"
24/7 Independent Practice Plans for local LEOs and Texas CHL holders

User avatar

Topic author
cheezit
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#7

Post by cheezit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Greybeard wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm
"with winchester pdx"

You might want to think more about that. Unless over penetration is a big concern. After testing various "gimmick loads" over the years, the best I found in .410 is the Federal 4-pellet 00, which held good groups even out of a Judge. And .410 slugs have numbers right up there with the big boy revolvers.
My first choice goes to slug, but I'm completely unsure if the rem is a smooth bore and I know nothing about chokes.
I will forward the 00 federal info for sure. Thank you.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#8

Post by Deltaboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 pm

410 shotgun with slugs! Plus a trained dog! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#9

Post by TreyHouston » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 pm
I think .410 is an excellent choice for them.

Paul Harrell thinks so too:



Have you considered the Mossberg Shockwave in .410? With a shorter barrel and no buttstock, it should be lighter and easier for them to handle, especially in a wheel chair.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/
That was really informative and explained really well! :tiphat:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#10

Post by WTR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:55 pm

cheezit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 pm
WTR wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm
Rem 1100 or Mosberg 500 tactical. Soft shooters
The rem 1100 looks to be double budget but thank you
Apologies. My mistake, I need to learn to read more completely.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 17076
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#11

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm

If the budget could be stretched by $150 to $200, I'd suggest a Henry 357 lever action. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781517114

Chas.
Image

User avatar

Topic author
cheezit
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#12

Post by cheezit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm
If the budget could be stretched by $150 to $200, I'd suggest a Henry 357 lever action. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781517114

Chas.
That's a really intresting options, it may be short enugh for my mom, do you know if its "youth size" appropriate?

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 17076
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#13

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 pm

cheezit wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm
If the budget could be stretched by $150 to $200, I'd suggest a Henry 357 lever action. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781517114

Chas.
That's a really intresting options, it may be short enugh for my mom, do you know if its "youth size" appropriate?
I don't believe so; not in the centerfire rifles. Here's a link to the Henry website. The rubber buttplate could be replaced with a thin one, or the stock could be cut. The latter would raise the price significantly.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23842
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#14

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Out of curiosity, is there anything out there in .410 that is semiautomatic? I’m asking because that might be even easier for someone who is weak and infirm.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Topic author
cheezit
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

#15

Post by cheezit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm
Out of curiosity, is there anything out there in .410 that is semiautomatic? I’m asking because that might be even easier for someone who is weak and infirm.
Limited options and none in youth size. Mom is 4'8" tall :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”