Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Need help on suggestions for elderly parents for hd

Post by WTR »

Pawpaw wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 am [quote=WTR post_id=<a href="tel:1216209">1216209</a> time=<a href="tel:1533983880">1533983880</a> user_id=19425]
Gallery of guns has the .410 Shockwave on sale for $455.00 until the 13th.
That's MSRP. Not a deal at all. http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/
[/quote]

Sorry, I miss read the add. They have prices from several outlets starting at 323.00. I never have used gallery of guns , I didn’t understand how it works.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

That was in my zip code.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Another .410 option would be the Mossberg 510 Youth Mini Super Bantam

http://www.mossberg.com/product/510-you ... eld-50358/

18.5" modified choke barrel and without the spacer the LOP is only 10.5".

Cabela's has it for $339.99: https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... s?slotId=1

Academy only wants $289.99 for it: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossbe ... tid=126510
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
cheezit
Posts in topic: 9

Post by cheezit »

You guys are great

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

As long as we're throwing out suggestions, I might as well mention a S&W M&P15-22. Stop laughing!

I realize a .22LR is not the greatest self defense round, but the platform is very easy to use, very light weight, no recoil, and has 25 round magazines. I think I even also have a 30 rounder that I found somewhere. Staring down the barrel just about anyone would be hard pressed to determine whether it was a .22 or .223 AR being pointed at them. It can also have an optic mounted if desired. Several rounds can be let loose down range and still have more to spare without changing mags.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:30 pm As long as we're throwing out suggestions, I might as well mention a S&W M&P15-22. Stop laughing!

I realize a .22LR is not the greatest self defense round, but the platform is very easy to use, very light weight, no recoil, and has 25 round magazines. I think I even also have a 30 rounder that I found somewhere. Staring down the barrel just about anyone would be hard pressed to determine whether it was a .22 or .223 AR being pointed at them. It can also have an optic mounted if desired. Several rounds can be let loose down range and still have more to spare without changing mags.
If I was going to go the .22LR route, I would be inclined to go with something like a 10/22. It would be lighter and less complicated for them. They would probably be more comfortable with it's operation than an AR platform.

Besides they could each have one with a 25 round magazine and still stay within his sub-$500 budget.

Two old people popping 22's at you should make anyone soil their underwear and head for the hills. :lol:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
cheezit
Posts in topic: 9

Post by cheezit »

I'm thinking mags may prove to much for my mom to load at this point.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

cheezit wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm I'm thinking mags may prove to much for my mom to load at this point.
I just assumed you would load up the mags for them both. If not, a mag loader isn't too expensive.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A friend of mine suggested a Saiga .410. I don’t know if that would be too much or not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”