Stoeger Double Defense O/U shotgun. Any good?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Stoeger Double Defense O/U shotgun. Any good?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Does anyone have any experience with this particular shotgun? I'm thinking about purchasing one if I can find it, in 20 gauge, for HD, primarily for my wife. I don't think she would be able to handle my 12-gauge Remington 870, especially not with the buckshot I've got it loaded with. Also, she doesn't much care for handguns, either. If anyone has any other suggestions for a HD shotgun that doesn't have the stomping power of a 12-gauge pump, and won't run me big bucks, I'm open to them. There are a TON of "hunting" shotguns out there with long barrels, but a long barrel isn't really ideal for an HD situation.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stoeger Double Defense O/U shotgun. Any good?

Post by Pawpaw »

Mossberg makes the Shockwave in .410 bore. It's smaller, lighter, and will have less recoil than even the 20 gauge.

Loaded with 2-1/2" 000 buckshot, it will have 6 rounds on board instead of just 2. Each shell contains 4 .36 caliber lead balls.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/

They make it in a 20 gauge too, but it might be a bit much for her without a stock.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 am Mossberg makes the Shockwave in .410 bore. It's smaller, lighter, and will have less recoil than even the 20 gauge.

Loaded with 2-1/2" 000 buckshot, it will have 6 rounds on board instead of just 2. Each shell contains 4 .36 caliber lead balls.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/

They make it in a 20 gauge too, but it might be a bit much for her without a stock.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

But the Shockwave doesn't have a real stock, and cannot be shouldered. That would seem to make it difficult to aim well. I'll read up on them, though. Thank you.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Mossberg, makes a youth, model 410 pump, that is great for smaller statured, people, it is lightweight, and gives you more than just 2 rounds, in a SD situation. They also make a 20 gauge in the same configuration.

Most manufacturers, make a shorter barreled, shotgun, designed for HD, and most come in 20 gauge. I just think that only having only 2 rounds, limits, an already limited platform even more. A good semi auto, would eliminate the need to pump it after each shot. I am a big fan of the shotgun for HD, at close range, it is very devastating, but, it is not a point and pray, weapon. It does need to be aimed, because from an 18" barrel, the normal , spread is only about 1" per yard, so, missing, the target , is very possible.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Does it have to be a shotgun? You can get an AR15 for similar price range. They don't have much kick, and with 30 rounds not like she'll have to reload it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Rob72 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:16 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:50 pm Does anyone have any experience with this particular shotgun? I'm thinking about purchasing one if I can find it, in 20 gauge, for HD, primarily for my wife. I don't think she would be able to handle my 12-gauge Remington 870, especially not with the buckshot I've got it loaded with. Also, she doesn't much care for handguns, either. If anyone has any other suggestions for a HD shotgun that doesn't have the stomping power of a 12-gauge pump, and won't run me big bucks, I'm open to them. There are a TON of "hunting" shotguns out there with long barrels, but a long barrel isn't really ideal for an HD situation.
I've worked several Stoeger doubles, though not specifically the Double Defense. I still own my M2000 semiauto. Their doubles have tended to be pretty stiff/gritty. Not horrible, but definitely needing some cleanup and parts dressing to be comfortably smooth in opening the action and operating the safety. If you're comfortable gun-wrenching, go for it, they are good guns.

Regarding the Shockwave, you can legally add the wrist-stabilizer (which can be shouldered) to the 20 gauge, and that should be both compact and not overly stout in recoil. Downside is that I'm still anticipating an ATF reversal on these, but I may just be paranoid. The USAS 12 and Streetsweepers became Class III literally overnight and owner had to turn them in (no compensation) or get the paperwork turned in, in a pretty short time frame.

If the price on the DD is ~$400, for just a bit more you could get a Ruger PC-9 carbine, which is even more enticing if you own Glocks. Very pleasant, very compact, and you can accessorize to your heart's content.
Question for you, or whoever may know: IF the ATF ever ruled against the Shockwaves at some future date, would it then be acceptable to remove the existing barrel and replace it with an 18.5 inch barrel, and dispose of the existing barrel? Seems like there are a lot of pistol grip shotguns out there with 18.5 inch barrels on them.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”