Oops! At the range.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

User avatar

Topic author
puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6408
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Oops! At the range.

#1

Post by puma guy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm

I took my son-in-law to the range to shoot a Rem 742 .308 I gave him to hunt with this year. (his first deer hunt) I had already checked it, but wanted to be sure it would "shoot" the same for him. With him not being an experienced high power rifle shooter I was satisfied with his "minute of deer" shots. I also took my old 1964 .243 Model 70 to check it as I'd not shot it in several years. I had let another son-on-law use it and got it back 2-3 years ago. I tool several shots and made some scope adjustments and got it acceptable. We'd set up a large a large 25"X25" deer photo target with an X-ray image of vitals for our final shots. I took my shot at it first then my son-in-law put the 742 .308 on the rest. His shot was off just a little and he thought he'd pulled it so he decided to take another shot. I was watching the target through my spotting scope when he fired, but saw no hit on the entire target. As we tried to figure out what happened he grabbed another round off the bench and was about to load it when he said "hey, I know what happened". My .243 ammo was still on the bench and the wayward shot was a .243 shell in the .308. He looked around and found the empty case. Sure enough! Fire formed a .308 from a .243!. I didn't measure the mouth of the .243, but it was close to the .308 cases. I'm surprised there wasn't noticeable gas leakage when he fired.
243 308 (2).jpg
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: Oops! At the range.

#2

Post by narcissist » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Glad nothing bad happened, wish you both the best of luck during hunting season.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 9336
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Oops! At the range.

#3

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am

A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:


Tex1961
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am
Location: Frisco, Texas

Re: Oops! At the range.

#4

Post by Tex1961 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am
A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
Whew. I’m not the only one who’s done that.
Mike
Owner of Tejas Products "Manufacturer of firearm related accessories and custom laser engraving.
NRA Pistol Instructor
Range Safety Officer

WWW.TEJASPRODUCTS.COM

User avatar

Excaliber
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5850
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: Oops! At the range.

#5

Post by Excaliber » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 am

Tex1961 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am
A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
Whew. I’m not the only one who’s done that.
I suspect a lot of us have. :oops:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oops! At the range.

#6

Post by oljames3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:13 am

Excaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 am
Tex1961 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am
A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
Whew. I’m not the only one who’s done that.
I suspect a lot of us have. :oops:
:iagree: :oops:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Oops! At the range.

#7

Post by Lynyrd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:33 am

puma guy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm
I took my son-in-law to the range to shoot a Rem 742 .308 I gave him to hunt with this year. (his first deer hunt) I had already checked it, but wanted to be sure it would "shoot" the same for him. With him not being an experienced high power rifle shooter I was satisfied with his "minute of deer" shots. I also took my old 1964 .243 Model 70 to check it as I'd not shot it in several years. I had let another son-on-law use it and got it back 2-3 years ago. I tool several shots and made some scope adjustments and got it acceptable. We'd set up a large a large 25"X25" deer photo target with an X-ray image of vitals for our final shots. I took my shot at it first then my son-in-law put the 742 .308 on the rest. His shot was off just a little and he thought he'd pulled it so he decided to take another shot. I was watching the target through my spotting scope when he fired, but saw no hit on the entire target. As we tried to figure out what happened he grabbed another round off the bench and was about to load it when he said "hey, I know what happened". My .243 ammo was still on the bench and the wayward shot was a .243 shell in the .308. He looked around and found the empty case. Sure enough! Fire formed a .308 from a .243!. I didn't measure the mouth of the .243, but it was close to the .308 cases. I'm surprised there wasn't noticeable gas leakage when he fired.

243 308 (2).jpg
Amazing! I never thought about those two rounds having almost the same case. I'm glad nothing bad happened. :tiphat:
Do what you say you're gonna do.


WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Oops! At the range.

#8

Post by WTR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 am

I thought the .308 was the parent case for the .243. So no surprise that it fired and fire formed.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25724
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oops! At the range.

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Excaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 am
Tex1961 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am
A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
Whew. I’m not the only one who’s done that.
I suspect a lot of us have. :oops:
Not me, but I’ve been fog-bound in other ways before. :mrgreen:

AKSHUALLY... I did once load a couple of rounds of some .40 S&W into a .45 ACP magazine, but discovered the error before loading it into the gun and firing it.
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Oops! At the range.

#10

Post by jason812 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:36 pm

In high school my buddies grandpa gave him a .270. We went to sight it in and after the third or so round hit the target keyholed, we realized his grandpa forgot what caliber the rifle was. It was .30-06.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Oops! At the range.

#11

Post by mrvmax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm

I was just out on an MLD hunt and they have you sight in before the hunt. My buddy and I both took two rifles with us in case we had problems with one. He tried sighting in his .270 but it was not grouping so he brought out the 7mm magnum. It sighted in well so he used that to hunt.

The next day at the blind he grabbed ammo from his pocket and loaded up. He fired at a white tail and he felt something on his face and knew something was odd. He had fired a .270 in the 7 mag. The case ruptured but the rifle looked fine. Somehow he managed to hit the deer and killed it with a .270 fired out of a 7 mag rifle.

User avatar

Topic author
puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6408
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Oops! At the range.

#12

Post by puma guy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:20 pm

At least I can tell him he's in good company! :lol: To Lynyrd and WTR; yes, the .243 Winchester's parent case is indeed the .308.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4743
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Oops! At the range.

#13

Post by ScottDLS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Anybody tried to shove a Beretta 9mm mag in a Sig P226? They seem to fit, but don’t feed too well... :oops:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 25724
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oops! At the range.

#14

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:44 pm

ScottDLS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm
Anybody tried to shove a Beretta 9mm mag in a Sig P226? They seem to fit, but don’t feed too well... :oops:
Image
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3931
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Oops! At the range.

#15

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:39 pm

I can attest to the ammo mix-ups. I've loaded and fired .380's through a 9mm once. This is the reason why I try to never bring a .380 or a .40 on a range trip where I am also shooting a 9mm gun.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”