Pistol Caliber Carbine Roundup

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

QB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pistol Caliber Carbine Roundup

Post by QB »

In addition to my CX4s I now have a couple of 9mm IWI Tavor SARs. My CGS Kraken suppressor stamp finally came in also. Will shoot both the CX4 and SAR suppressed very soon.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:16 am I got an accepted offer on great looking AR9 (pre-owned, local guy, like new) my second PCC, I shot it a USPSA Match at XMG shooting club and I was delighted with its performance

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WY44Zks4SpHwo16J6
Fast double-tap trigger was added
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5KEFb8vGc7WLoFnL9
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

If its in a pistol caliber, might as well be small.

SBRd Sig 320 in a B&T chassis

TANSTAAFL

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

74novaman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 pm If its in a pistol caliber, might as well be small.

SBRd Sig 320 in a B&T chassis

Neat layout and use of the SIg 320 chassis system but man paying a $200 tax stamp on top of that is hard to swallow.
Psalm 91:2

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E10 »

To each his own, but I just don’t understand adding all the extraneous stuff to what appears to be a handy, concealable pistol. O’course, I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a never-used winch, high-lift jack, and CB radio. But that’s different.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

E10 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 am To each his own, but I just don’t understand adding all the extraneous stuff to what appears to be a handy, concealable pistol. O’course, I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a never-used winch, high-lift jack, and CB radio. But that’s different.
To give options and capability that both a handy, concealable pistol and a large pistol caliber carbine or regular rifle does not. I shoot a lot of USPSA, IDPA, etc. It's been interesting to watch folks I routinely smoke when we're both shooting pistols outshoot me when they switch over to PCC. It's part of what inspired me to build this.

A red dot and a stock are far from "extraneous". You can make faster, more accurate hits using a red dot on a pistol. This Sage Dynamics white paper is absolutely worth the read if you doubt that: [url]http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_50 ... 7925b1.pdf[/url. And a stock providing a more stable shooting platform than just hands is obvious enough.

I used to have an MP5 clone. Fantastic shooting gun, cream of the old PCC crop in a lot of ways. I sold it when I built an 8" 300 BLK AR pistol with a law folder that was the exact same size as the MP5. If two guns are the same size, I'll take the one in a rifle caliber.

Here's that 300 blk AR in its smallest configuration next to the B&T 320 chassis:

The 320 could go in a console lock box or locked glove box. The AR pistol and larger PCCs....not so much.

Now, I shoot competition, dry fire, go to training classes, etc. I'm perfectly comfortable using just a regular old handy, concealable pistol. My wife on the other hand? She doesn't do any of those things. I'm sure we all have family members like that.

Something like the B&T is going to be both a)small enough for her to actually bother packing in a car/bag and b)significantly easier for her to use than a regular pistol.

In general I'm personally going to prefer either a pistol or a rifle, but a stocked pistol in a small enough size like this could be a great option for folks like my wife who don't train, don't compete, but still might want to defend themselves as they travel. All that "extraneous" stuff ups her hit probability significantly, without adding much bulk at all.
TANSTAAFL

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

SQLGeek wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 pm Neat layout and use of the SIg 320 chassis system but man paying a $200 tax stamp on top of that is hard to swallow.
It always is, because it shouldn't be a thing.

I've been having a lot of fun posting this picture with the caption "Here is a picture of a rifle and a pistol" lately. :biggrinjester: :grumble :oops: :???:

TANSTAAFL

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

PCC rifles are mostly Range/USPSA toys.
SBR rifles are totally different animals due to their firepower/capcity/ and their deployment in confined places.
FN coined the name of Personal Protection Weapon for their unique FN90
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

74novaman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:40 am It always is, because it shouldn't be a thing.
Well that's true.

I've been having a lot of fun posting this picture with the caption "Here is a picture of a rifle and a pistol" lately. :biggrinjester: :grumble :oops: :???:

I'm sure you've made more than a few heads explode. :lol:

Is that a rear sight on your pistol a diopter sight? Who makes it?
Psalm 91:2

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Someone was selling HK style diopter sights for AR height rails a few years ago.

Can’t remember who made them and they don’t make them anymore. Glad I picked up a couple sets of them. I like diopters.
TANSTAAFL

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by striker55 »

I owned a Sturm Ruger carbine in the 1980's, shot 45 ACP.

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

I like my 9mm duo...
2751CF71-3559-44AE-B2FB-DABFA49FA498.jpeg

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

They would most certainly be lots of fun to shoot, but given that they cost as much as an AR pistol, not sure what the actual POU is, aside from range plinking fun. I got excited about buying one of the FoxTrotMike ones a while back, but then spent some time really thinking about what I'd actually use it for. For home defense, their minimal increase in caliber fps effectiveness would be more than offset by their reduction in maneuverability. You can get the same small package with WAY MORE punch in an AR pistol, or for that matter, a Mossberg Shockwave or similar small shotgun. As always, your mileage may vary....

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

bagman45 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:19 am They would most certainly be lots of fun to shoot, but given that they cost as much as an AR pistol, not sure what the actual POU is, aside from range plinking fun. I got excited about buying one of the FoxTrotMike ones a while back, but then spent some time really thinking about what I'd actually use it for. For home defense, their minimal increase in caliber fps effectiveness would be more than offset by their reduction in maneuverability. You can get the same small package with WAY MORE punch in an AR pistol, or for that matter, a Mossberg Shockwave or similar small shotgun. As always, your mileage may vary....
One reason for ones I’ve had is using the same mag fir your handgun and long gun. Another reason for me is how hard 5.56 ammo can be to find in times like these. Of course right now 9mm is as hard to find as 5.56.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

Ordered this for my birthday back in the spring. Finally shipped out this week and I got to start configuring it for maximum fun. Sig Sauer MPX, 4.5" barrel, in Biden/Harris approved configuration :headscratch

mpx2.jpg
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”