Pistol Caliber Carbine Roundup

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/p ... dup/369090
Pistol-caliber carbines (PCCs) are one of the two hottest segments in the AR industry right now (the other being pistols), and their popularity extends across several different platforms, not just rifles and pistols based on the AR-15. There are now so many PCCs on the market that you should just assume that anybody who makes an AR makes a pistol-caliber version of it, and you’ll probably be right.

Since we physically don’t have space to cover every PPC in one article, consider this a highlight reel or the CliffsNotes version of the models currently shining bright in this crowded market.

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pistol Caliber Carbine Roundup

Post by E10 »

Hmmm - no mention of the Beretta CX-4?! It’s been around for only, what, SIXTEEN years. Yeah, the odd “thumbhole” stock is goofy, but I think it deserves mention because I have one and like it.
I was also disappointed that there was no discussion of revolver / lever-action combos (which I also have in .357 Magnum), that really introduced the concept in the 19th century.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I really like my Ruger PC9, although it’s not as tacticool as some other models.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AdioSS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AdioSS »

E10 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:09 pm Hmmm - no mention of the Beretta CX-4?! It’s been around for only, what, SIXTEEN years. Yeah, the odd “thumbhole” stock is goofy, but I think it deserves mention because I have one and like it.
I was also disappointed that there was no discussion of revolver / lever-action combos (which I also have in .357 Magnum), that really introduced the concept in the 19th century.
Nor the Keltec Sub2000.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

In Addition to my CX4, I just added
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TLtj3WstiZqTguZs8
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

No mention of the JRC carbine which I have and it is a very good shooter!
Also no mention of the company my son works for the TNW carbines
https://www.classicfirearms.com/tnw/
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Please don't judge me, but I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine (picked it up for $75) that is really a lot of fun to shoot and reasonably accurate out to 50 yards. It is several years old and I refer to it as my "Planet of the Apes" carbine. Only real gripe I have with it is that it is a bear to disassemble and put back together.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am Please don't judge me, but I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine (picked it up for $75) that is really a lot of fun to shoot and reasonably accurate out to 50 yards. It is several years old and I refer to it as my "Planet of the Apes" carbine. Only real gripe I have with it is that it is a bear to disassemble and put back together.
A buddy of mine who is a USAF vet has one and absolutely loves his.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 am I really like my Ruger PC9, although it’s not as tacticool as some other models.
Mine worked fine but I found it boring to shoot for some reason. Traded it off and haven't looked back.
Psalm 91:2

mayor

Post by mayor »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am Please don't judge me, but I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine (picked it up for $75) that is really a lot of fun to shoot and reasonably accurate out to 50 yards. It is several years old and I refer to it as my "Planet of the Apes" carbine. Only real gripe I have with it is that it is a bear to disassemble and put back together.
I got a 45 cal cheap and put it in this: Image
now it only weighs 15 pounds but is a blast to shoot and accurate. I also got a couple of Redball 20 rnd magazines that work great.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

E10 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:09 pm Hmmm - no mention of the Beretta CX-4?! It’s been around for only, what, SIXTEEN years. Yeah, the odd “thumbhole” stock is goofy, but I think it deserves mention because I have one and like it.
I have a CX-4. Love the look and feel (plus it uses the same mags as my 92). Whole family enjoys shooting it.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AdioSS wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 am
E10 wrote: Hmmm - no mention of the Beretta CX-4?! It’s been around for only, what, SIXTEEN years. Yeah, the odd “thumbhole” stock is goofy, but I think it deserves mention because I have one and like it.
Nor the Keltec Sub2000.
I used to have a Sub2K a while back. I gave it to my son when I bought the PC9. The Keltec is lighter and more concealable than the PC9, and it definitely has its place in the gun world; but the PC9 is more accurate, has a better trigger, has much better sights, manages recoil better, has better ergonomics, and is sort of a "nicer" firearm all the way around.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I honesty don't know why people waste their time and money on PCCs.

Unless your range forbids shooting 5.56 Carbines (many indoor ranges allow them now), there is no advantage to them when a 5.56 with about three times the effective range is the same size as a PCC.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I've got two hanging around these days.

First is my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum (which hangs out with my S&W 629). Probably my favorite gun to date. Depending on load (and reloading makes .44 affordable), it can go from very mild range plinking gun to a decent close in deer/hog rifle. I'm happy with it out to the 150-175yd mark. Very good little rifle for walking pastures.

I've also got a 9mm AR pistol that I put together. It's mainly for range trips and not having to carry a bunch of different types of ammo. I can toss it in the car along with a couple 9mm pistols and have fun & relatively cheap day shooting targets on pretty much any range.

My shooting buddy in Ft. Worth has the Beretta CX-4 and the Ruger PC9 and loves them both.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LeonCarr wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:00 pm I honesty don't know why people waste their time and money on PCCs.

Unless your range forbids shooting 5.56 Carbines (many indoor ranges allow them now), there is no advantage to them when a 5.56 with about three times the effective range is the same size as a PCC.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Some of have guns for home and personal protection, others guns are utilitarian, for hunting and varment control, but many of us have guns just for sheer fun. Of course, some guns can be cross purpose, my AR falls in that category. My .308 and my 10/22 are mostly just for fun. I don't hunt and I live in a pretty much urban environment.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”