Pasture Gun?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 5

Pasture Gun?

Post by dlh »

The other day I cut some mesquite in a pasture where wild hogs are known to hang out. I was probably about 75 yards from my pickup.

Before I went out there I thought--which is the best gun to have in case I am charged by wild boars?

After some thought I carried the most reliable rifle I think I have--my WASR AK47 with 30 round magazine.

The good news is that I encountered no wild hogs.

What would you folks have carried in similar circumstances?

Oh, I forgot to mention that in my pocket was my Glock 26 with a Glock 17 mag popped in so I had some "extra protection" too. ;-)
Last edited by dlh on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pasture Gun?

Post by Tex1961 »

I'd already be carrying my CZ in my holster, but I'd either throw in my 30cal carbine or my Ruger PC 9mm carbine in the truck....

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

A 30/30 lever gun is usually what I keep handy when filling feeders and stuff out on the lease.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

A long gun will always be better than a handgun but they are not always practical to carry. I’ve been around feral hogs quite a bit and have never been charged, normally they will leave the area when they smell humans, especially where they have been hunted before. I have shot one with a 10mm and it didn’t kill it so shot placement is still key. Most long gun shots to the head will stop them but if they are charging I’d take a 12 gauge with 00 buck.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

mrvmax wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am A long gun will always be better than a handgun but they are not always practical to carry. I’ve been around feral hogs quite a bit and have never been charged, normally they will leave the area when they smell humans, especially where they have been hunted before. I have shot one with a 10mm and it didn’t kill it so shot placement is still key. Most long gun shots to the head will stop them but if they are charging I’d take a 12 gauge with 00 buck.
:iagree:

I kill about 75 hogs a year. I've only been charged one time by a boar, and that was when the .308 I put in his shoulder just made him mad. :shock: Shot placement is key but that day I had to hurry the shot I was a little off. :oops:

I always carry a large revolver when I'm out in the pasture because sometimes long guns just get in the way.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

howdy

Post by howdy »

While driving my UTV at the farm I always have my Glock on my hip and my Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm with a 30 round magazine. The sub 2000 is very lite and easy to throw around my neck with the strap. If I am going around the lake I will carry a 12 gauge too for the snakes.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For me, it would probably be my Marlin .30-30, or maybe my M1 Carbine. I like ARs a lot and have several of them (or did, before my tragic boating accident), but for a simple pasture gun, something simple and light like a lever gun seems plenty sufficient.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

dlh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am The other day I cut some mesquite in a pasture where wild hogs are known to hang out. I was probably about 75 yards from my pickup.

Before I went out there I thought--which is the best gun to have in case I am charged by wild boars?

After some thought I carried the most reliable rifle I think I have--my WASR AK47 with 30 round magazine.

The good news is that I encountered no wild hogs.

What would you folks have carried in similar circumstances?

Oh, I forgot to mention that in my pocket was my Glock 26 with a Glock 17 mag popped in so I had some "extra protection" too. ;-)
You need an AR in 45-70 Automatic!!! :fire
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

45-70

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh »

Regarding lever-guns...

When I was a kid we visited my uncle's ranch in Sutton County.

My dad borrowed my uncle's lever-action 30-30, put a few shells in it...then took out on foot to hunt some hogs.

Back then in Texas it was javelina hogs--not the wild boars we see today.

Anyway, after awhile when my dad did not come in my uncle went looking for him.

Found him up a tree,surrounded by hogs, and out of ammo--at least that is the story they told us.

As kids we were both terrified and impressed.

My dad always got a kick out of telling that story. Sadly, he passed away in 1988.

Will always wonder if he and my uncle made that story up or if it really happened.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:55 pm45-70
:iagree:
Never seen a hog shrug that one off, and neither will the ahooter! :smash:
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dlh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:31 pm Regarding lever-guns...

When I was a kid we visited my uncle's ranch in Sutton County.

My dad borrowed my uncle's lever-action 30-30, put a few shells in it...then took out on foot to hunt some hogs.

Back then in Texas it was javelina hogs--not the wild boars we see today.

Anyway, after awhile when my dad did not come in my uncle went looking for him.

Found him up a tree,surrounded by hogs, and out of ammo--at least that is the story they told us.

As kids we were both terrified and impressed.

My dad always got a kick out of telling that story. Sadly, he passed away in 1988.

Will always wonder if he and my uncle made that story up or if it really happened.
That’s fine....I have a SCAR Heavy too. Pretty sure THAT will get the job done. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I've been hunting hogs for over a dozen years now. The closest I've been to being 'charged by a boar' was when I happened to be standing in the path they desired for it's exit once the shooting started. That is, it wasn't after me but rather I was in the escape path. I should point out that this was at night so the hog didn't know I was there until I whacked him with my shooting stick, shortly thereafter he decided to utilize an alternate escape route.

When hunting hogs I always carry a pistol, but it's just a .22 for a finishing head shot if I find one that's still alive.

They tend to avoid human contact. I don't worry about being attacked. The real problem with hogs is usually getting close enough to shoot without being detected. Once they figure out that someone is there, they tend to vamoose in another direction.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

lol you don’t need “defense” from hogs. Your sidearm is just as good for 4 legged threats as the 2 legged.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”