Rifle Qual - TDSA, TX

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Rifle Qual - TDSA, TX

Post by powerboatr »

Paladin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm
powerboatr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:50 am
Paladin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:03 am
powerboatr wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 pm one thing that sort of stood out. is you miss a target and have to wait until next day to try again? maybe i took that out of context
but going to the range is imo so you can practice, yes you may miss your ideal grouping, but its in a safe controlled area so you can work at being your best.
for me i go through lots of lead based items at the range to ever improve and seek that moment when it just all goes right and groupings fall in perfect. i thought of applying it to the golf course, "hey bud you sliced" now go home until tomorrow and try again :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Most people fail at the quiz... which requires study if you fail.

As far as the shooting test... and if you can't pass the 100y test... you really need to go home and get your stuff figured out.

With the 300 yard test it is perhaps a bit on the tough side to send someone home if they can't hit 3 for 3 on that steel plate. It is a difficult standard, reminiscent of the SOTIC standard, but they are serious about only allowing capable shooters on the 400y range in that no bullets should ever be leaving the property.
agree, but where would you go home to practice and remove the issue that caused you to mess up? we can academic at home all day, but until the item is hurling towards a target, there is no way to verify your training. 300 yards imo is a HARD pill, and yes we never want rounds accidentally going off range NEVER EVER EVER. for me i have a 100 foot area i can bore-sight with a my laser round to play with scope settings and not get neighbors nervous.
i just thought it was weird policy.

:cheers2:

Once you finish the 100y qual, you can practice all you want on the 300y target. The 300y and 400y quals are required for the 400y range only.
roger, that makes more sense. :thumbs2:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”