Transfer of pistol with CO license

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Transfer of pistol with CO license

Post by Tex1961 »

I have a student who has a Colorado drivers license. His TXDOT appointment isn't for another 6 months, which I advised to try and find a DL office somewhere away from Dallas for a quicker time slot...

Anyway, Can he go home to Colorado purchase his gun and then have it shipped FFL to FFL back here to Texas ? He just finished his LTC class so he probably won't have that for another month or so anyways....

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Transfer of pistol with CO license

Post by Scott B. »

He needs proof of Texas residency from a state, county, or city govt entity. The Colorado ID will work for the photo ID part, but he'll need the proof of residency to take possession of a pistol either at point of sale or transfer.

Question 26.b. Supplemental Government Issued Documentation (if identification document does not show current residence address or full legal name)

Something mailed to his current TX address from a govt entity will suffice.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Thanks, He has established residency here, so no problem on that... I thought my assumption was correct, thanks for confirming .

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I may be missing something but my question is if he has a CO DL, and is willing to go back to CO to purchase a weapon, then why would he need to transfer to a FFL here? Just bring it with him since there are no registration in Texas
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

RPBrown wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 am I may be missing something but my question is if he has a CO DL, and is willing to go back to CO to purchase a weapon, then why would he need to transfer to a FFL here? Just bring it with him since there are no registration in Texas
:iagree:
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

GeekwithaGun wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am
RPBrown wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 am I may be missing something but my question is if he has a CO DL, and is willing to go back to CO to purchase a weapon, then why would he need to transfer to a FFL here? Just bring it with him since there are no registration in Texas
:iagree:
Your not missing anything.. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one we forget..... :oops:

Although he may be flying and isn't interested in trying to check his gun...

Return to “Other States”