Maryland Suspends ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Requirement

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Maryland Suspends ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Requirement

Post by Paladin »

Maryland Suspends ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Requirement for Concealed Carry Following SCOTUS 2A Ruling
On July 5, Gov. Hogan tweeted, “In light of a recent Supreme Court ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits.”

Hogan noted, “Today’s action is in line with actions taken in other states in response to the recent ruling.”
:thewave :thewave :thewave
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Maryland Suspends ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Requirement

Post by chasfm11 »

The question becomes "how will Maryland now deal with concealed carry licenses". They have been notorious for seeking those out of State with CCLs as well as not granting them to their own citizens. I'm personally concerned because I drive 12 miles of I-81 in Maryland to get from Texas to PA and that 12 miles is the only part where have no reciprocity. I follow FOPA when driving but never trusted Maryland LE to follow that. We always stop at the last Flying J in Virginia because of the diesel prices and I break down my pistol there. It is a lot of fuss for 12 miles but even being a model driving citizen, I worried that the Texas registration would be a beacon.

It will be interesting to see if especially Maryland, New Jersey and New York see any uptick in granting licenses. It is too much to ask that they honor anyone else's license.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Other States”