Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Hawaii bill restricts carry locations

Post by Paladin »

Hawaii’s Democrat Gov. Signs Bill Limiting Concealed Carry for Self-Defense
Hawaii Gov. Josh Green (D) signed legislation Friday that prohibits concealed carry for self-defense in movie theaters, on beaches, in stadiums, and numerous other places.

The Associated Press reported that the legislation also requires private business to post signs stating that they allow guns to be carried for self-defense, if in fact they do.
Plus: WATCH: AWR Hawkins: “Long Gone Are the Days” Leftists Just Want to Ban Specific Weapons
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964

Re: Hawaii bill restricts carry locations

Post by philip964 »

Really a surprise you can have a gun in Hawaii.

I guess the Supreme Court ruling is far reaching.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Darn it, now thousands of forum members who were all set to CC or OC in Hawaii, will have to rethink their travel plans. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

All several of them, maybe even the whole dozen.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

This is one of those instances that illustrates how the law is very much like both statistics and politics: "We can pretty much spin it to mean what we want it to mean."

Here's another article, this from the left-leaning ABC: "Hawaii allows more concealed carry after US Supreme Court ruling, but bans guns in most places"; https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/haw ... g-99804217.

At least it seems like a fair headline to me. Prior to the new law things were just about as ludicrous as they will be after. To wit, before: each county in Hawaii issued licenses and those licenses were valid only in their county of issue; each county could have different locations that were legally off limits; licenses were for the carrying of a single firearm only, if found carrying two your license was immediately revoked; licenses were for a period of one year; a concealed carry license was issued for a specific firearm and a shooting proficiency test passed within 90 days before application was required for each firearm to be licensed; all firearms must be registered except for firearms made before 1899 or which are designed to use loose black powder; and on and on, yada yada.

Makes TV shows like Magnum P.I. look pretty ridiculous, doesn't it? And while I haven't looked closely at the new legislation, my take from it is that the state has done just enough so that they think they'll be in compliance with the Bruen SCOTUS ruling, but then they've offset that by making it useless to have a license. Basically, the only place you can carry is on a public sidewalk unless a particular business posts signage saying that licensed carry is permitted; I think you have to keep the gun locked up when in your car (but don't quote me on that). Kainoa Kaku, president of the Hawaii Rifle Association (now that must be a frustrating role) estimates that the new laws will cost gun owners $1,000 to take all the classes and proficiency tests required to just to obtain a concealed carry permit.

All I have to say is :txflag:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

If ever there were a case study in politicians going to every possible extreme to impose their will, Hawaii and New Jersey regarding guns are the poster children. The Pols obviously have spent a lot of time, weaving their way around the situation. The $1,000 price tag for "compliance" should be Un Constitutional based on Helle, never mind Bruen.

Would that any politicans beside the radical Leftist ones were so energetic and creative at even one topic. The lack of commitment everywhere else is stunning, at least to me.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My wife and I have talked about going to Hawaii for a long time. I've been several times when I was in the Navy, but haven't been back since. Due to Hawaii's stance on firearms, if we ever do get there I wasn't planning on taking any with me.

I'm not sure this law will stand up to scrutiny since it basically makes everywhere off limits unless a sign says it is okay to carry there. Didn't this already get shot down in NY?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Been to Hawaii five times. Never seen it in the daylight. Base Operations at Hickam looks pretty much like Base Operations at any other AF base and that has been my only exposure to Hawaii. Just landed, refueled, ate something and left. No need for me to do anything else there.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

As I understand it, and I've never been there, Hawaii isn't the paradise it once was (re: Elvis Presley movied "Blue Hawaii"). It's trashed out with druggies, homeless, etc. and become an island version of San Francisco. Sad.
-Ruark

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ruark wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 am As I understand it, and I've never been there, Hawaii isn't the paradise it once was (re: Elvis Presley movied "Blue Hawaii"). It's trashed out with druggies, homeless, etc. and become an island version of San Francisco. Sad.
I can't be certain, but I think that is mainly limited to the island of Oahu, which is where Honolulu is located and is the main tourist destination. I could see some of the downward trend even back in the 80's there, but it was still a nice place to visit. Other family members say the other islands weren't nearly as bad and might still not be.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

You are correct, C--Dub. Besides Honolulu, the next largest city is Hilo on the "Big Island" I spent part of my childhood on Oahu (before it was a State - we sang the Hawaiian National Anthem in Hawaiian every morning in class) and have been back to the other islands several times since. Maui has some build up around the old whaling town but Kauai is pretty much all rural. The Big Island also has some commercial things on the Kona side but getting around on that island isn't easy and takes a long time.

The problem is that besides tourism and the pineapple and sugar cane industries, there isn't much business and thee are a lot of poor people. Everything is expensive because it has to be shipped in. It is the perfect place for Liberals to promise and promise and never deliver, just like they do in the blue cities on the mainland. The Dog the Bounty Hunter shows had accurate scenery of some of the outlying areas. I've been through the Honolulu Airport several times in that past few years but never was in the city since we left in 1957. I have a Facebook friend who grew up there and has family that still live there. He has posted pictures of the Honolulu squalor. If you take out the palm trees, you would be hard pressed to tell it apart from Portland.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Other States”