TX vs. other states and America vs. Americans

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

TX vs. other states and America vs. Americans

Post by GlockenHammer »

A friend in Kansas sent me a gun-related joke and it evoked the following emotional/political response. I thought I'd share it with you for what it's worth....

For reference, the BTK killer was a serial killer in the 70's and 80's that struck blocks from my friend's house. The Carr brothers were some violent criminals that raped and killed several co-eds on multiple occasions viciously and wontonly in Wichita in the late 90's. Still the sheep bray...

---------------------------

It's a shame that I am trusted by over 30 states to carry my gun with me almost everywhere, yet if I carry a 3" pocket knife to the Post Office, the Government can throw me in the pen for a year (see 18 USC 930).

The gun issue has really highlighted for me the difference between the states and the Federal Gov't as well as the difference between states. We are all so proud of America as a country. I've decided that I am proud of AmericanS--the people, not the Government. Americans are great. It is the Americans that are serving so nobly in the Middle East and elsewhere. It is the Americans that came together to unite after the 9/11 disaster. It is Americans that came together to help the hurricane victims, that give to the Red Cross and other charities.

As for States, Texas will trust its law-abiding citizens to go about armed, if they so choose. In states like Massachusets, NY or California as well as the District of Columbia, the honest are not trusted to be equipped to protect themselves yet the criminal element goes freely armed. The few who would be inclined to go armed (stalking victims, single women, those that work at night or in bad areas) are enough in the minority that they cannot sway the vote against the herds of sheep who do not feel the hot breath of crime on their neck, or would not be inclined to protect themselves. I have no idea how those two different approaches to the problem can get such a strong foothold--guns in TX, OK and FL and blinders in NY, MA, CA, but they do. Those states have a different culture. You want citizen-gun-free crime zones? There are states where you can go to get that. You want the ability to go about with deadly force to face the criminal version of same? There are states where you can go to get that. No longer is USA one entity and your choice of states in which to live decided only by a job or scenery. There are now states in this country in which I would never live and generally avoid when possible.

Now I know why being a Texan means something. Our laws ARE different. Our approach to honest citizens IS different. Most laws that matter are state laws, not Federal ones. If I lived in Kansas, I would not have many of the freedoms that I think every honest man is endowed with by the founders of our country. I think it is sad. Unfortunately, too few voters feel touched by these issues until they themselves feel the real threat of crime. What if the BTK came to my house? What if the Carr Brothers picked on my family? In TX, I would have a chance at protecting myself. In KS, I'd be another victim.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

Good read. Thanks for posting this.

jimlongley

Re: TX vs. other states and America vs. Americans

Post by jimlongley »

GlockenHammer wrote: It's a shame that I am trusted by over 30 states to carry my gun with me almost everywhere, yet if I carry a 3" pocket knife to the Post Office, the Government can throw me in the pen for a year (see 18 USC 930).
I work for the federal gov't and that's part of the reason that I carry a 2.5" SOG Flash. I was approached by a supervisor one day, as I used my knife to open some junk food in the lunch room, and told that my knife was considered a weapon and was not allowed on the premesis. I suggested that he read the law more carefully and kept on using it. I have never heard another word.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

18 USC 930 also states this

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or
other lawful purposes.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:18 USC 930 also states this

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or
other lawful purposes.
Yeah, I agree, a lot of us have had this discussion about that particular portion of the code, but still, no one wants to be that test case...

And besides...In this State you'd be violating another portion of the law if you disclosed, or made known to someone you were carrying a firearm in a facility like that...

The majority of folks I know don't think that section protects you...Those CFR's come into play that somehow negate the section you posted...

And thats my biggest rub about the whole thing...One thing appears to protect you, then this other thing says your stupid for even trying...

ugg...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Renegade

Re: TX vs. other states and America vs. Americans

Post by Renegade »

GlockenHammer wrote: I've decided that I am proud of AmericanS--the people, not the Government. Americans are great.
The American Government is a reflection of the American people, they go hand in hand.

We can go on and on about how great Texas is to carry a handgun, but lets remember that has only been allowed for the past 10 years.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

stevie_d_64 wrote: And besides...In this State you'd be violating another portion of the law if you disclosed, or made known to someone you were carrying a firearm in a facility like that...

The majority of folks I know don't think that section protects you...Those CFR's come into play that somehow negate the section you posted...
What Texas law do you violate if you "disclose, or made known to someone you were carrying a firearm in a facility like that..."??????

Pardon my ignorance, what is CFR's?

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

txinvestigator wrote:
As a former Federal Agent, I can answer that - Code of Federal Regulations. Basically it outlines how an agency will enforce laws under its jurisdiction, and as stevie says, could be completely different from a english reading of the law. For example, go find in the NFA law where a CLEO signature is required - it is not there, but ATF requires it. All via CFR.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

How do you get a CFR changed?

Post by tomneal »

I recently ran into a CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) that I didn't like.

How would you go about getting them changed?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

txinvestigator wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: And besides...In this State you'd be violating another portion of the law if you disclosed, or made known to someone you were carrying a firearm in a facility like that...

What Texas law do you violate if you "disclose, or made known to someone you were carrying a firearm in a facility like that..."??????

I thought 46.035(a) covered intentionally disclosing that you are carrying, that's the way our CHL instructors taught it (in two different classes.)
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:

What "Jim" said... :lol:

Bad wording on my part...sorry...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
GlockenHammer

Re: How do you get a CFR changed?

Post by GlockenHammer »

tomneal wrote:I recently ran into a CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) that I didn't like.

How would you go about getting them changed?
I had the same experience and have been plotting my own course. Perhaps we can hook up and join forces.

I did ask a Congressional staffer how CFRs came to be. Here's a synopsis. Agencies propose CFRs to carry out their business (note that the Agency heads are not elected officials). The management arm of OMB reviews them for consistency with the Agency charter and Fed Code and approves them to be reviewed by Congress. Congressment get a chance to "comment" on them, then they get approved by OMB and become law.

I am planning to lobby our gun frinedly TX congressmen under the guise of the Feds infringing on our Texan rights unnecessarily. I'm also going to launch a direct attack with our TX representation the same way. I was also hoping the NRA and some other groups would at least provide advice and counsel if not direct support. I'll PM you.

GH

Return to “Other States”