California

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dr Dave
Posts in topic: 3

California

Post by Dr Dave »

How’s this for worst case scenario. I may have to move to the Los Angeles area for professional and financial reasons. I will only have a two year commitment, so I can get back to Texas in a couple of years. If I do have to move there, I am apprehensive about being in a “gun unfriendly environment�. Does anyone know how I can easily find the California gun laws? I assume they do not have reciprocity with Texas for concealed carry. Does California even have a concealed carry law? I hope I can find club that shoots IPSC or IDPA in that area.
Dr Dave

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Ouch. I can relate. I did the same thing in 1996 but I had to stay for FOUR YEARS :mad: . California wants you to register all guns and there are a lot of guns that are illegal in CA as well as all magazines over 10 rounds.
I didn't take any guns with me when I went. I moved my safe to a relatives house here in TX for safe keeping.
When I got to CA I became a resident and purchased a 12ga and a 1911 to keep in my house. That was all I had for 4 long and painful years. Of course I came back to TX regularly to visit my safe, err I mean relatives. :lol:
Before I left CA I sold the 12ga and the 1911 to a dealer so I wouldn't be connected to ANYTHING from there. When I saw the "Welcome to TX" sign through the windshield of the U-haul I almost cried.
The 4 years in CA were not the greatest but necessary and I'm better off now financially because of my time there.

Just remember, TX will always take you back. ;-)

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The closest analogy I can come up with to describe your predicament...

"You're going to be on bread and water for a couple of years..."

I think PDO's database would help you a bit...Its not impossible to get a permit I hear...But it depends on where, and who you go to...

I believe I recall that you have to provide a statement of "need", all of your guns are registered for quick collection, and that there is a state version of the AWB, and you cannot possess a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds...

But if you want a home defense system, while you wait to get your California CCW permit, I'd go with a nice pump action shotgun...

Keep a few 10 round magazines handy for your favorite handgun that you'd want to carry when and if you get that permit...

No guarantees, but at least you'll be ok in your own home...

But this is to the best of my recollection, and what I believe I have read from other sourses, and other peoples experiences in that state...Some information may have changed...Its been a while since I ventured into that states' system...

Good luck, hurry back...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

There is actually a big "to-do" with CA carry.

It seems the local sheriff's issue them to celebrities and big wig people (for a donation to re-election campaign).

Back when I was on PDO (circa 8 mos ago) there was a post about the shadyness of it all and there was a website dedicated to cracking down on it and exposing all the trash.

Someone may know what I'm talking about.

My dad lives in LA and there is a neat range, the LA Gun Club. He recently sent me his .45 (70 series Gold Cup) out of the state (through FFL of course) because he never shot it.

Try for a license, but I couldn't live in Cali.

Best wishes!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

mschadt

Post by mschadt »

gigag04

I'm pretty sure your talking about Jim March and his website Equal Rights For CCW

Either way this guy’s website is all about the corruption in the CA CCW world. At one point he was requesting demographic numbers from every county in CA and had a list of the ones that had compiled and the ones they were going to have to sue to get a court order to release the data under the Californian Freedom of Information Act. I couldn't find that info just now but his website is stuffed with info on the CA CCW program. If nothing else the pictures by Oleg Volk entertaining to look at. :shock:

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Dr. Dave, I lived in California for more years than I care to admit before coming home to Texas. Yes there are a lot of repressive gun laws that are a pain to follow and there are a bunch of very wacked people with whom you will have to deal. BUT...you can still own firearms and there are a bunch of like-minded people trapped in the state for various reasons. You will find opportunities to shoot IDPA and IPSC in southern California and the people who participate are as great as the people here.

You are not facing a fun move but it will be an adventure. Anticipate the negative stuff and deal with it and have a ball with the fun stuff.

Good luck.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Considering that California is one of our most populated states in this union, I find it to be a tough nut to crack when it comes to why many of those people allow themselves to be trod over so much by everything "we" see as serious infringements upon ourselves...

I for one, was stationed there for a few years, and before I realized I was seriously infringed upon, I moved back to Texas...I didn't have time (like I do now) while I was there to sit down and think about stuff like that...I had other distractions :lol: ...

I like California, and it has lots of potential to be a great place to live...But considering the high cost of living (all across the state), the restrictions that really effect your every waking moment...Its not perfect...Niether is where most of us are now...

So if you have to go, I'd make the effort to make the best of it, get involved with people of like mind, and if your only there for a relatively short time, I think every little bit of that time and effort can help...

There are worse places than California...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave »

Thanks all for the info. If I have to go, it will not be for several months so I'll have time to check out the websites you suggest. I have decided the safe and most all of it's contents will have stay with my folks as I don't want any more than necessary registered in any way in California. I might take a glock with 10 round mags, or buy another one when I get there. A glock 19 or 23 will work for defense, carry (dreaming here) and IDPA for me. A 1911 commander would also work, but I don't have one of them. Yes, the first purchase will be a simple pump shotgun for the dwelling.
I wonder if there is any problems reloading out there. I doubt my wife will let me pack the press anyway much less let me set it up in an apartment.
Thanks again.
Dr Dave

Crossfire

Re: California

Post by Crossfire »

Dr Dave wrote:Does anyone know how I can easily find the California gun laws? I assume they do not have reciprocity with Texas for concealed carry. Does California even have a concealed carry law?
Here is what you are looking for: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

Good luck to you!

Topic author
Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave »

Thanks to all again. If I have to go, I might just survive it and have some fun as well.
Dr Dave

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

"There are worse places than California..."

This is like saying some sexually transmitted diseases are worse than others. When we left the DPRK in '92 I had the same feeling I have always had when returning to the USA from a foreign country.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

Return to “Other States”