Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Louisiana Concealed Carry on Campus Bill - Today

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Louisiana House will be debating their version of concealed carry on campus (HB199 by Wooton) today. The session begins at 2:00 pm, but I'm not sure when the bill will come up. It's relatively high on the docket, if all bills are taken in order.

The bill passed out of committee, but there was tremendous opposition. The opponents far outnumbered the supporters of HB199. Numerous student groups appeared in opposition. That said, the representatives from Students for Concealed Carry on Campus did an excellent job testifying in support of the bill and of course NRA has a representative there to support HB199. As other states are learning, this is a very emotional issue and not an easy victory. In fact, I believe only Utah has passed concealed carry on campus.

If you would like to listen to or watch the debate, go to http://www.legis.state.la.us/ and look for a listing that the House is in session. Then, click on either the microphone or TV icon to listen or watch the debate.

Chas.

Monkey404error

Re: Louisiana Concealed Carry on Campus Bill - Today

Post by Monkey404error »

Thanks for the info Chas. I think you missed typed though, its HB399 by Wooton.

Edit: My bad, Wooton is apparently sponsoring a few ammendments to their weapons/firearms. Had to look at the full descriptions. Also I can't spell "rlol"
Last edited by Monkey404error on Mon May 12, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm
Students should also have the rights to defend themselves

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

No, Charles is correct:

HB199 Wooten has introduced a bill that authorizes concealed handgun permit holders to carry concealed handguns on college campuses.

HB399 Wooten has introduced a bill that amends the concealed carry statute regarding training requirements and reciprocity.

EDIT: You were correcting yours as I posted. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

It seems like none of us can spell the man's (or woman's) name correctly. "rlol"

I really hope that this bill is to allow conealed carry on campus (only skimmed through the info posted). If it does pass, it could signal a change nationwide hopefully (except for California, but they're all out in the left field), because if it gets allowed on school campuses, it could be the end of all the 30.06 posting here in Texas too. :txflag:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Wooton presented the bill, then pulled it down. Opposition to it is huge and growing! This is a preview of what we are likely to face in 2009.

Chas.

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

Is it people from both sides (Dem + Rep) that are opposing the bill, or is someone making enough ruckus that Wooton doesn't want to risk his other bills floundering?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Monkey404error wrote:Is it people from both sides (Dem + Rep) that are opposing the bill, or is someone making enough ruckus that Wooton doesn't want to risk his other bills floundering?
I don't know what the situation is with other House Members, but public opposition is large and growing. Student groups, coaches, and who knows how many other "organizations" are coming out against the bill.

We're going to have a big battle on our hands folks. This may make parking lots look tame.

Chas.

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

From what I can see on the Louisiana website (sorry but trying to navigate it is like pushing needles into my eyes), but it looks like they've already made a decision on the bill. And unfortunatly my knowledge of how it these sessions work is rather limited, but does that mean that he can't bring it back up later in the current session? Or do the students for concealed carry on campus and the NRA still have a chance to try and get it passed?

Edit: after a few minutes of searching their website, I've managed to keep from having to go through 6 options to find what I'm looking for.

Now what does "SUbject to Call - House Final Passsage" mean?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Monkey404error wrote:From what I can see on the Louisiana website (sorry but trying to navigate it is like pushing needles into my eyes), but it looks like they've already made a decision on the bill. And unfortunatly my knowledge of how it these sessions work is rather limited, but does that mean that he can't bring it back up later in the current session? Or do the students for concealed carry on campus and the NRA still have a chance to try and get it passed?

Edit: after a few minutes of searching their website, I've managed to keep from having to go through 6 options to find what I'm looking for.

Now what does "SUbject to Call - House Final Passsage" mean?
It can be brought up again and my guess is that the bill's sponsor will try to make sure he has the votes he needs.

Chas.

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: It can be brought up again and my guess is that the bill's sponsor will try to make sure he has the votes he needs.

Chas.
I know it's not our state, but is there anything we can do to try and help?

TommyGlock
Banned

Post by TommyGlock »

Interesting...I didn't even know that there were colleges in Louisiana.
Texas CHL class taken April 19, 2008
Application mailed to DPS May 6, 2008
Utah CHL class taken May 17, 2008
Utah app mailed May 20, 2008
Utah hits my credit card June 9, 2008
Recieved Texas PIN June 9, 2008

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

TommyGlock wrote:Interesting...I didn't even know that there were colleges in Louisiana.
That's what we would call the 4th grade.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here's an article on the Louisiana campus-carry bill.

Chas.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 30335/1002

dukesean
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dukesean »

Stop the Killing Inc. President Arthur "Silky Slim" Reed, a self-professed former gang leader who promotes non-violence in talks to students, said the state "should not allow anyone to sit back and socially engineer killing."
:shock: What an asinine statement. Allowing people who already have permits and carry at the diner across the street from campus to walk onto campus still carrying is somehow socially engineering killing? How absurd.
Rep. Fred Mills, D-Parks, told the gathering "In Louisiana, we almost lead the U.S. in mental health problems. All we need is to have guns in the hands of someone with mental health problems who might be able to pass the test" and obtain a concealed carry permit.
Some people just don't get it do they. A mentally ill person bent on killing lots of people probably wouldn't go through the trouble of getting a concealed carry permit. And even if (s)he did actually apply for a permit and was turned down, do you really think that would stop them?
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Wooton presented the bill, then pulled it down. Opposition to it is huge and growing! This is a preview of what we are likely to face in 2009.

Chas.
You have to wonder why opposition is growing to continue to support gun free zones where people are at extreme risk of being murdered by determined sane or insane individuals, while having zero means to protect themselves or risk being prosecuted for exercizing their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms...

It is mind boggling...

Oh, wait...I forgot...I guess the body count needs to be higher than 32...

You would think that an unfortunate single casualty would be enough to disuade ANY means of gun control measures like this...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Other States”