Florida!

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
wakal

Florida!

Post by wakal »

While as a Texas CHL Instructor I'm expected to pimp for TX CHL, I still recommend that my students look into Florida permits as well as ours. In the case of those poor benighted folks not interested in the NICS-avoiding feature of our CHL, I recommend just a FL permit.

Cheaper, good for an extra year, and valid in almost twenty-odd more states than ours.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Alex

antfarmer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by antfarmer »

I dunno. I keep holding out hope that the reciprocity "backlog" we seem to have will eventually be taken care of. Meanwhile, at $20 and an easy application. NH looks like pretty good bang to buck ratio.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Only thing is we (Texas) don't honor the NH license. Bummer.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, another instructor here who at least mentions FL and NH options.

Altho I do not think the FL permit alone should be a substitute for taking a Texas class and exposure to Texas laws. Too many errornet myths and old wives tales floating around out there to have poorly educated pistol packers jeopardizing what more serious folks worked so long and hard to obtain.

solaritx

Post by solaritx »

I have had both a Texas and Florida CHL for quite awhile (in fact will have to renew my FL soon). I did this because of my travel schedule, and I highly recommend getting both. According to Packing.org and my research, my FL-CHL gives me an additional 7 states that the TX-CHL does not cover. If one travels, I highly recommend getting both.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

I have the NH one. I got it because of a planed trip to Colorado. They honor NH and not Texas. Does not make a heck of a lot of sense to me.

I thought about Florida, but do not travel much so I have not seen a real need for one.

But I sure would like to see a National CHL and be done with the wondering what state is ok for what permit.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

BPNovum

Florida only...

Post by BPNovum »

I am a Texas resident but carry only the Florida license for the reasons mention above, cheaper, valid in more states, lasts longer, no training required of military vets, everything via mail... etc.

If you have a Florida permit there is no need to have a Texas permit. I did take the Texas class just to be up on local laws but the FL permit has served me well.

Oh, while I was in WA state, I applied for a WA CHL. By the time I got back from my trip (about 5 days), it was in my mailbox. That gave me a couple more states not covered by FL.

Is this a great country or what?

wreakhavoc

Post by wreakhavoc »

Does the course you take in Texas to get your Texas CHL qualify you for the Florida non-resident CHL?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

wreakhavoc wrote:Does the course you take in Texas to get your Texas CHL qualify you for the Florida non-resident CHL?
Yes it will. Florida will take many forms of proof of competency with a handgun. Vets can use their DD-214's, NRA classes are sufficient, and I believe active pistol competitors (ex. IDPA) can use their classification cards, but I'm not positive on that one.

Regards,
Chas.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Another small caveat of non-resident permits from out of state is you aren't exempt from the Gun Free School Zone Act according to the BATFE. While I'm not sure of any supporting case law, I'm guessing they would interpret any federal regulations that mention 'other lawful purposes' in the same manner.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

tyme

Post by tyme »

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
It looks like you're right. VT and AK residents have the same problem, and there's no way for them to fix it.

Has anyone (in TX or elsewhere) been prosecuted under 18 U.S.C. 922(q) since Congress re-passed it after the Lopez fiasco?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I think AK still has the CHL system, even though you don't really need it inside AK.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

Hi--
I searched this site as well as packing.org. I found the FL state site and submitted the request for some of the materials that would appear to be required.. Is there athread that I missed that outlines exactly which forms to order, what additional materials are necessary, how much $, any other info?
BTW, attending class for my TX CHL tomorrow!

Return to “Other States”