West Virginia

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JLinTX
Posts in topic: 2

West Virginia

Post by JLinTX » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:28 am

Anyone here have a way to legally carry in WV? I travel to PA every once and a while and would like to no thave to worry about west virginia. It appears they dont have many recipirocal agreements with many states.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:15 pm

There isn't a way to carry concealed in West Virginia unless you have a resident Virginia or Kentucky permit--WV does not recognize any nonresident permits, or any permits besides those two states. There are apparently a couple of bills in the WVa leislature right now to get wider reciprocity for their permits, so perhaps in a year or two our permits will be recognized there, but for now those of us who are not Virginia or Kentucky residents are out of luck.

That being said, West Virginia allows unlicensed open carry, including in vehicles. I grew up in Virginia, and in most of the areas of West Virginia where I have been I wouldn't think open carry would be a problem. Don't know where exactly you might be going in WVa. I have heard that you may have trouble if you are in the Panhandle--too many Yankees, and people who commute to Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia but live in WVa for the low cost of living. But open carry is legal, and for the time being it is the only way for those of us from Texas to legally carry in West Virginia.

Topic author
JLinTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JLinTX » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks!, I just pass through and stop along the highway for fuel (both the truck and me :grin: ) -- To avoid problems for the time I will just stow the weapon when travelling thru WV.

Thank You.

Jim

Return to “Other States”