Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

New Mexico Passed HB641

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

At the 11th hour, New Mexico passed HB641, a sweeping CHL reform bill. Among it's provisions is the authority to negotiate reciprocity agreements with other states. Hopefully, Texas will be the first!

The bill is on its way to the Governor who has said he will sign it.

Apparently, there are still some undesirable provisions, like limiting carry to one gun :? , but I'm sure they'll be working on those provisions next session.

Great job N.M. CHL activists! Tara Mica, NRA State Liason for New Mexico, Lousiana, and TEXAS worked like a Trojan on this bill, but now she can come home to Texas.

Guys/gals, this whole CHL thing just keeps getting better, but we cannot get complacent.

Chas.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

That's good news! I look forward to not having to put my gun in the trunk when I cross the state line as I make several road trips a year to Phoenix.

Thanks and Keep up the good work!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Packing.org has info on the current carry laws in NM.

It states:

"NM is an open-carry state. A non-license holder may carry a visible firearm on his/her person.

Note: I have had a number of questions regarding IWB carry in our state and whether it was legal, considering the grip at the least is exposed. According to our Sheriff, any firearm carried inside the waist-band, whether using a holster or not, would be considered concealed by his department. That being the case, you should consider any IWB carry, concealed, regardless of your local. If any law enforcement agency is on record to their determination of concealment, you should consider all agencies would share that view.

Carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed handgun license is a petty misdemeanor in NM.

New Mexico treats vehicles as your extended domain [resident and non-resident alike] and therefore, carry of a "concealed" handgun does not apply in/on your vehicle. Whatever you can do in your home, you can legally do in/on your vehicle."

"Motor vehicles are considered extended domain in NM. You may carry open or concealed, including on your person, without a license as long as you remain in the vehicle.

Motorcyclists may carry concealed on their person as well, as long as they remain on the motorcycle. I have been told that extends to within 3 feet of the center of the vehicle to allow for the rider to expose the firearm or store it in lockable saddlebags or trunk but have so far been unable to acquire a written opinion from the A/G. I am still working to obtain that written opinion and will post it here when I do. Use your own best judgment. I am a motorcyclist, I have never had a problem related to my firearm when riding."

So the current situation isn't that bad, but I'm looking certainly forward to reciprocity too.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Arock
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Arock »

Update, update... :?:

Arock

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Arock wrote:Update, update... :?:

Arock
Looks like they are still working on that reciprocity deal...

I said in another thread...I bet we see one here real soon before the end of the year...

Looks like nobody else but Texas went out and honored NM's permit holders before thier sweeping changes...

So I think NM is going to get into a reciprical agreement with Texas first here real soon...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Arock
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Arock »

That's the great thing about New Mexico. When they get mad at Texas they throw hand grenades. Texans pull the pin and throw them back.

Arock

Return to “Other States”